INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSD vs. PCM: Why do I prefer listening my hi-res records in DSD and not in PCM  (Read 2422 times)

YuraF

• Recent member
  • Eleventh Earl of Mar

Entering conditions:

1. I have a delta-sigma DAC so it plays 1bit data (DSD) better than multibit data (PCM) due to this article: https://www.mojo-audio.com/blog/dsd-vs-pcm-myth-vs-truth/
2. I encode my hi-res records from PCM 48k24 to DSD128 (5.6M) by JRiver MC25 on the fly seamlessly without any unpleasant clicks between the tracks.
3. Focus Assist is on to eliminate interference from pop-ups, USB DAC is controlled by JRiver only in Exclusive Mode, in order not to have some additional sounds from other apps.
4. CPU is usually loaded by 15%-20% which is bearable, no fan sound is heard.

Resulting facts:

1. The thing you notice at once is that all cymbals become more “sparkling”, “airy”, “analog” and natural. The “curious explorer” inside me immediately demands for a logical explanation of the fact and fails (probably my knowledge of the subject lacks something). Interestingly but conversion to DSD64 doesn’t give the same effect, it seems that the 2.8M noise-shaping and phase of the cutoff filter is too close to the 20-20,000 Hz range. Conversions to PCM with higher sampling frequencies of 88.2, 96, 176.4 and 192 kHz don’t add this perception of the cymbals.
2. The stereo panorama of the track becomes how to say, more spacious, predictable, linear, natural. It is especially heard on orchestrated tracks, classical or progrock. It can be attributed (I suppose) to a better phase handling by a DSD data and 1bit DACs. But the fact is that the track becomes more “ear-friendly”.
3. The bass lines of the tracks where they especially low and fleshy becomes more “tasty” and natural.
4. The singer / singers voices become more human like.
5. The overall perception is much closer to a very good analog tape reel-to-reel recordings than their PCM version.

Conclusion:

1. Having thoroughly studied “Coding High Quality Digital Audio” by Bob Stuart of Meridian Audio I personally agree with Mr. Stuart and think that hi-res audio music information should be digitally encoded reasonably in accordance with average human hearing specs. I personally think that 16bit encoding ladder is insufficient, 24bit encoding ladder is quite enough, and not only due to difference in dynamic ranges 96dB vs. 144 dB (moreover the latter is painful for a human ear). I also personally think that the closest sampling frequency to a Reasonable One is 48 kHz, Fs 44.1 kHz / 2 is too close to the 20 kHz end of human hearing, and the cutoff filters may affect the phase of sound, and higher sampling frequencies music programs may contain some ultrasound noises which can result in unpleasant shade of cymbals due to non-linear behavior of amplifying elements. So I think that a digitally encoded music program with 48kHz / 24bit specifications and by a professional ADC is reasonably sufficient.
2. But, the music program must be also decoded properly. PCM data is better handled by R2R ladder DACs, that’s quite clear. But they cost a lot. Delta-sigma DACs are more affordable but they are 1bit decoders. They certainly decode PCM but the algorithms inside them seem to be simplified or better to say compromised. (I don’t know for sure), but the result is clearly heard. The notebook CPU can encode 1bit data with more precision and proper filtering, so if you have a Delta-Sigma DAC it’s better to feed it with DSD128 at least. DSD64 is insufficient. DSD512 is probably better (or even DSD1024), but my DAC doesn’t support this, so I simply don’t have any listening experience, and CPU will be probably closer to overload. So to me DSD128 is reasonably enough.
There's no place like home!

My system:
Marantz NA8005 (Cirrus Logic CS4398) / Burson Audio Soloist / Sennheiser HD800
QED Performance Graphite USB 1.0m / 2 silver coated coaxials DAXX V99 0.75m / Supra LoRad power cables
DELL Inspiron 5770 Windows 10 Home

Manfred

• Citizen of the Universe

In one point I really agree to you - the best sounding (natural, analog) albums I have are some in DSD format.  ?
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

YuraF

• Recent member
  • Eleventh Earl of Mar

My another music "companion" is still Marantz SA7003, which is SACD player with the same DAC (Cirrus Logic CS4398). But it is mostly idle nowadays after I purchased NA8005. All my CDs have been converted into AIFFs and stored on the HDD USB drive. But I don't listen them much - 16bit data lacks sound details in my humble opinion. And I have a small collection of SACDs. Yes, they are DSD64, but they surely sound better than CDs and very "warm", analog like so to say.  ;)

My system:
QED Performance Graphite USB 1.0m / 2 silver coated coaxials DAXX V99 0.75m / Supra LoRad power cables

YuraF

• Recent member
  • Eleventh Earl of Mar

By the way here's some math for the curious colleagues:

It is difficult to compare DSD and PCM formats directly due to a different approach in analog-to-digital conversion, but I like the comparison of the band-width or area of the rectangle with X-axis in Hz and Y-axis in bits, let's have DSD128:

DSD: 44,100 Hz x 128 x 2 channels x 1bit = 11,289,600 bits per second
which is equivalent to (for instance)
PCM: 176,400 Hz x 32bits x 2 channels = 11,289,600 bits per second
or 235,200 Hz x 24 bits x 2 channels = 11,289,600 bits per second

The numbers are quite impressive, aren't they?  ;)

My system:

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

DSD distortion is considered euphonic by most human ears for reasons that are not well understood. That does not mean it is a more accurate representation of the music vs PCM, just that it sounds "better."

YuraF

• Recent member
  • Eleventh Earl of Mar

That does not mean it is a more accurate representation of the music vs PCM

That can be true, I don't argue. We may have another example of euphonic distortion represented by tubes, and the numbers are even higher. I'm just saying that my delta-sigma DAC represents the same piece of music (encoded in PCM) more pleasantly in DSD (I agree, the words "better", "accurate" are not correct here) than in PCM.

My system:

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
  • Music and Audio enthusiast

Has comparison been done with blind test? the risk is that results are biased, turning into opinions rather than facts
Stereo:
DAW: Fanless Case Streatcon 7 with MSI A97I mobo, 2 x 8G RAM (Hynix) with Intel I5 CPU.
NAS: QNAP TS-531 with 5x4TB HDDs
DAC/ADC: RME ADI2 PRO
Speakers (active): 2 x ATC SCM50ASL
Subs (active): 2 x REL 528 Signature

rsg

• Galactic Citizen

I think I am with the OP on this one. Although I have switched back and forth between 2 X DSD and PCM  (Tools > Options > Audio > DSP and Output Format) and have not done any blind testing on the differences, I seem to prefer the added "sparkle and oomph" of the 2 X DSD setting (not very scientific, I know). I am also using EQ: 'Rock' and Effects: 'Living Room'. I am playing this glorious mixture through basic mid-fi equipment: iFi IDAC 2 > iFi iGalvanc3.0 USB decrapifier > Schiit Magni 3 preamp > Neumann KH120 studio monitors (9' X 10' room) or Audeze LCD-2 headphones. Listening to rock/blues/folk/jazz.

YuraF

• Recent member
  • Eleventh Earl of Mar

Has comparison been done with blind test?

Yes, it has. One of my friends played the role of a guinea pig.  ;D

My system:
Pages: [1]   Go Up