INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto Import Vs. Importing a single folder.  (Read 1470 times)

jachin99

• Citizen of the Universe
Auto Import Vs. Importing a single folder.
« on: June 24, 2019, 11:57:17 am »

I would like to setup JRiver to monitor various folders for newly added media and existing libraries.  I separate my libraries by folder structure because I have found this to work well for most media programs.  When I setup my various folders for auto import in JRiver wierd things happnen such as my home videos showing up under shows in theater view, and the video view in standard view.  When I saw this, I removed my home videos folder from auto import, and imported my home movies as a single folder but my home videos show up under videos anyway.  When I tried to remove this single folder I couldn't find a way to do so.  Is there a way to things up so that JRiver monitors a single folder with subfolders for each given library type. Is there a better way that I can setup auto import?  I'm not looking to add tags to anything, or setup tag rule based views and I would like to simply drop each media type into its own folder, and have JRiver know that this folder has home videos, another folder has movies, etc?  I also need to know how to exclude a folder that has been included on its own.   I hope I explained that sufficiently, and thanks for the help. 

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
Re: Auto Import Vs. Imporing a single folder.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 01:21:30 pm »

In the Auto-Import folder rules you can tell MC to apply custom tags to files during import. In this case you would want to set your Auto-Import folder containing your home videos to tag Media Sub Type as Home Video or something similar.

jachin99

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 01:42:29 pm »

I'll take a look, thanks BUT I'm still not sure how to exclude my current folders that I have configured individually without auto import. 

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 02:57:57 pm »

You will just need to adjust the tags manually. You can sort files by location using a custom view, smartlist, or explorer view and use the tag editor to change the subtype.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 09:40:33 pm »

I'll take a look, thanks BUT I'm still not sure how to exclude my current folders that I have configured individually without auto import.

If you browsed to a folder and imported using the "Import Single Folder" function, MC doesn't keep watching that folder in future. That is a once off import.

If you have a sub-folder of say a Video folder, and you no longer want to import anything in that sub-folder, MC's Auto Import can be configured to "Exclude this folder and all child folders". That setting is in the detailed settings for the folder you add to Auto Import. i.e. Add the folder "\Videos\Not to be imported" to Auto Import, then select "Exclude this folder and all child folders" as the "Mode" for that folder.

But you shouldn't need to Exclude any folders if you have one for each video type. Home Videos are videos, so they will appear under the Video menu/navigation structure unless you change that. MC will tag all imported videos as either "TV Shows" or "Movies" unless you tell it otherwise, and as Bryan says, tagging all files imported from a "Home Video" folder with a [Media Sub Type] of "Home Video" via Auto Import settings is the easiest way to do that.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
  • Music and Audio enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 08:42:35 am »

In the Auto-Import folder rules you can tell MC to apply custom tags to files during import.
How?
Thanks
Stereo:
DAW: Fanless Case Streatcon 7 with MSI A97I mobo, 2 x 8G RAM (Hynix) with Intel I5 CPU.
NAS: QNAP TS-531 with 5x4TB HDDs
DAC/ADC: RME ADI2 PRO
Speakers (active): 2 x ATC SCM50ASL
Subs (active): 2 x REL 528 Signature

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jachin99

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 09:49:12 pm »

I configured auto import and all seems well.  Thanks for the help.

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 03:38:52 am »

Thanks: since I had an issue with auto import (I moved some directories and autoimport deleted the contents of some custom fields e.g. composition) I am look for a 'dont touch' option i.e. leaving the contents of a custom field untouched.

Thanks
Stereo:
DAW: Fanless Case Streatcon 7 with MSI A97I mobo, 2 x 8G RAM (Hynix) with Intel I5 CPU.

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 08:46:04 am »

Thanks: since I had an issue with auto import (I moved some directories and autoimport deleted the contents of some custom fields e.g. composition) I am look for a 'dont touch' option i.e. leaving the contents of a custom field untouched.

I remember you discussing this in another thread.  I think you are missing something important, so I'm going to try to explain it:

If you move a file or a directory using Windows Explorer, or another file tool, MC does not see this as a "move".  What MC sees is this:

A.  The file (or directory) you moved is "gone".  It was deleted.  So MC deletes it from it's database, INCLUDING your custom field.
B.  A new file (or folder) appears in a new place, possibly with a new name.  Either way, this file/directory is "new" because MC has never seen it before.  So MC imports it as normal and reads the tags out of the file.  Your custom fields might be in the tags of the file.  If so, MC will read them.  If not... then they are gone.  Also, the import date for this file (or directory or files) is brand new.  Again because MC sees it as new.

There are (at least) 3 things you should know about to help control and prevent this:

1.  MC can be told to delete media in files and directories that "disappear".  MC calls this "missing" files.  By default it deletes them.  But you can tell it not to if you want.  What you will be left with is MC entries that can not play because the files are gone.  But the entries will be there, including all fields, custom and otherwise.  This option is controlled at: 
Tools > Options > Library & Folders > Configure auto import > Tasks > Fix Broken links > (set to No to prevent any automatic removal)

This will become more interesting after you read the rest of this.

2.  You can tell MC to write all fields to your files, including custom fields.  That way they might be preserved if you move files or even if you copy the files to new systems with MC.  Note that this works well with FLACs, but is not all that well supported by other file types.  It depends on how well writing custom tags is supported by each different file type.  The option is at:
Tools > Options > General > Importing & Tagging > Update tags when file info changes > (check to write tags)

Note that turning this on will not write any tags immediately.  It will only write when tags change,or when you force a file (or files) to be written with:  <right click on file> Library Tools > Update tags (from library)

3.  The Rename, Move, and Copy files tool can be used to move your files or directories.  If you use this, then MC will not get confused as in A and B above.  It will just work and retain all of your custom fields!  Use RM&C whenever you can.

For really big moves, like moving my collection from one drive to another, I generally use an external tool to actually do the copy or move.  Which breaks MC's database because all of the old files disappear, like in A above!  But then I immediately use the Rename, Move, and Copy files tool to update MC's database.  This let's me tell MC that (for example) I have moved all files from the E: drive to the G: drive.  It would take way too long to describe this process here, but you can read up on the RM&C tool here:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files

In particular you want to read up on the Find & Replace template if you ever plan to do what I just described.

In summary, you don't need a "don't touch" option for fields in MC.  Even if it existed, it wouldn't work because MC sees your moves as deleting old files and bringing in new ones.  Use RM&C to move files.  Tweak the options I've described to you to control exactly how MC handles all of this.

Good luck!

Brian.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2019, 09:13:23 pm »

Applause Brian. Very nice write-up.

There is a number 4 option as well though, to recover lost tag information after doing an external move.

4. If you have moved the file(s) using a tool external to MC, and appear to have lost your tag data, create a View of the "Removed Database" in MC (search the forum to find out how), find the lost file(s) and manually copy tag value to the file(s) in the new location. Or easier still, use the "Removed Database" View to confirm that the files are there and have their tag values, and if so, move the files back to where they came from using the same external tool, and MC will import them again and reinstate the "lost" tag values from the "Removed Database". Then use the RM&CF function to move the files using MC, as should always be done.

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2019, 05:05:16 am »

Thanks much all!
unfortunately there is no KUDO option in the forum so I am posting this useless message :)
Stereo:

pgrisham

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re: Auto Import Vs. Importing a single folder.
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2019, 06:19:51 pm »

Man I learned a lot in this thread! I just posted in another thread about how I can learn the coolest stuff all compiled into one nice, neat, concise little thread. Thanks to all who gave great instructions here!

The only frustrating thing is that I rarely find the answer to a specific item at the moment I need it, but I often glean nuggets of gold from just browsing the forum when I have time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up