INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom tags deleted from Jrivers  (Read 2640 times)

kombat30d

Custom tags deleted from Jrivers
« on: June 24, 2019, 09:38:01 pm »

Hello everyone,

Proud subscriber to JRiver since 2011.  I have 1545 movies, 2476 tv show episodes, and 20715 songs.  Every single item has its own custom entries, manually entered by me.  My database is everything and it has taken a lot of time to do this.

My Problem:  With every new generation of JRiver (moving from 24 to 25 for instance) some fields disappear for no reason. Example: I put information in the Catalog field and now half of my database doesn't have anything in that field.    This is frustrating.  With the large amount of items I have in this database, it is useless to me if I cannot sort, search, organize my items with these unique identifiers that I can't get in any other database unless I create it myself.

Any suggestions as to how I can stop this from happening?  This will take me hours to correct, I would hate to do all that work (Yet again) just to have it happen...AGAIN!

Fields this is typically happening to are:  Catalog # and Grouping
OH! and by the way, for a movie, the file itself will have it in the notepad file but NOT in jriver...odd...

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Custom tags deleted from Jrivers
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 10:02:00 pm »

Restoring a recent Library Backup from the previous version, MC24 in this case, should bring across the contents of all fields. It will even bring across any custom fields you may have. Catalog # and Grouping fields are standard fields, and should have come across with no problem, but sometimes the automatic Library transfer that occurs with an upgrade doesn't seem to work 100%.
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Backup

Also, both the Catalog # and Grouping fields are written to tags in the files, which is I assume what you mean by "the file itself will have it in the notepad file". For Audio, the tags will be written into the file itself. For Video, the tags will be written into Sidecar XML files, which are the notepad files you referred to, I suspect.

If restoring a Library backup doesn't bring back your custom values, just select the affected files, right-click on one of them and select "Library Tools > Update Library (from tags)", refresh the View, and you should see your custom values in the Library for those files again. Test that with one or two at first, then when comfortable, do it for more files, or your whole Library. Make a new backup of your Library before starting the process. https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Backup
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up