INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recording Time shifted TV show  (Read 796 times)

Dantos

• World Citizen
Recording Time shifted TV show
« on: June 25, 2019, 10:09:21 pm »

Hi

MC 25.0.54

I watch TV in theatre view and time shift recording set for 4 hours. I have TV recording options set to begin 1minute prior to show and end 7 minutes after show etc. This works fine for recording from the EPG.

Sometimes I just want to record what I am actually seeing on screen and this may be time shifted. If I press "record" on the remote control it appears to record the currently broadcasted show from the point "record" is pressed. IOW 1) it may not be what I am actually watching if watching time shifted material and 2) it doesn't seek to record from the beginning of the show (should that be available in time shifted recording)

Thanks for any hints
David

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Recording Time shifted TV show
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 10:28:59 pm »

If you record in JTV format instead of TS format, MC will do exactly what you want: Record the program you are watching, from the beginning to the end, using the Time Shift files.

This is the biggest advantage of using the JTV format in MC. I use it often.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Dantos

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 01:52:39 am »

Ah Okay thanks, I did not know that.

I used to use JTV format some years ago but I changed back to TS. I seem to remember there was some issue with the jtv files at the time but cannot remember what. Is there any disadvantage to using jtv files?

Thanks again

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 02:27:25 am »

Is there any disadvantage to using jtv files?

The main disadvantage is that JTV files aren't portable; they can't be played in other players, with maybe one exception. TS files can be played anywhere and converted by just about any video software.

But as I wanted to use JTV, I and user Jmone created an easy way to convert JTV to TS.

Read this thread: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,111504.msg770566.html#msg770566
Which links to the solution: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,105793.0.html
Which is specifically in this post: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,105793.msg736129.html#msg736129

Note that MC always creates Time Shift files in JTV format, even when recording is done in TS format. So if you are using TS format but want to view earlier parts of a program you are watching you can just record from where you are up to and save the Time Shift files before they are deleted. See the settings in "Options > Television > Time Shifting". You might then have two parts to the program, but that would work.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Dantos

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 03:18:42 am »

Thank you very much. I will likely revert back to jtv format and convert them to TS for the rare instances that this would be required.

I much prefer having the jtv functionality to record what I am watching on screen and for time shifted files to be automatically incorporated. I will try it and see how I go

thanks again
David
Pages: [1]   Go Up