INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Farewell iTunes  (Read 977 times)

Captor

• Citizen of the Universe
Farewell iTunes
« on: June 26, 2019, 03:37:49 am »

Hi,
I just read that apple will phase out iTunes. I just wonder what that means for us who have old iPods? Can we also in the future download the playlists to our iPods from JRiver?
Or do I need to stay with my old MC23 and not upgrade to MC26 in order to secure that?
Best Regards
Captor
JRiver for music

MikeO

Re: Farewell iTunes
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 08:03:52 am »

You can sync old non iOS I pods in JRiver

Set up a play list you want and connect,  details in the wiki

You can even transcode on the fly say FLAC  to ALAC or MP3

Captor

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 11:28:13 am »

Dear Mike,
Do you mean that I need to set up a new OS in my old ipod? Or what do you mean by old non iOS? I donīt know what OS there is in it. I mean it is original but what it is I donīt know.
I guess some apple OS. I have use the ipod many years. Synced to JRiver without problem. Will that stop now with more new MC?
JRiver for music

MikeO

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2019, 11:40:08 am »

No what I meant was that Old i pods ie Classic 160 etc sync via MC as is with no changes , from the ipod Touch it became an iOS device that MC cannot sync with

If yours is the non touch there is no change  if it a Touch you will need iTunes or its replacement to sync

Apparently Windows itunest will continue as is onlyour Apple OS will change

Captor

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 04:31:07 am »

Dear Mike,
Thank you very much for your answer! Sorry I should mention WHAT ipod I have. It is the 160 GB classic. It is because of the big space I want to have that for my flac files (Alac when import to ipod i believe). So then no worries for me. I can just buy the new MC and continue as before and import my playlists or whatever music I want to import to my ipod.
In the future I will import to my android phone instead. Then it will be flac in that I think and less hazzle with the ipod. Just need to buy a bigger memory sd card for that for the phone.
By the way, anyone know if the sound in my samsung S9 will be same good as the ipod?
JRiver for music

MikeO

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 06:45:27 am »

Not sure about the S9 sound I have a J1 (lowest of the low) and a TabA both are fairly average !!

iPods always had reasonable DACs but phone DACs tend to be lowest common denominator

You could consider using the On The Go cable (micro USB to normal USB) and connect an Audioquest Dragonfly Red (or even Black) . I do this with my iPad Mini and its sounds great. The Red even drives my HD800's. My in the garden mobile solution via JRemote

Mike

Captor

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 08:24:17 am »

Hi
Yeah I have hear that too that ipods have not the cheapest DACīs :-)
Also that some older ipods have better DAC that newer ones.

I have read about AptX is a must in the phone? I donīt know what that is actually. I guess some drivers for the music player maybe. I was goingf to call the Samsung support for asking about that or google.

I wonder if that AptX already is in the phone or if I have to download it.

Aha the Audioquest is a DAC, I just google it. Very nice! That is a good idea, thanks! I am sure I will buy one. Better travel with that then the ipod.
I will check this out more close.
JRiver for music

MikeO

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 11:42:32 am »

Isn't Aptx Bluetooth,  I'm not expert if so phone will have

Captor

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2019, 11:24:26 am »

Mike,
Yes I have googled some about this and you are right it is a driver for Bluetooth. Nothing for us who want to have nice sound! Not yet anyway. Bluetooth might getting better in the future.
JRiver for music
Pages: [1]   Go Up