INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Images With Names  (Read 770 times)

dnavratil

• Junior Woodchuck
Images With Names
« on: June 26, 2019, 10:30:30 am »

This may sound crazy but let me try to tell you what I'm trying to do
I have about 8 thousand movie files at home on external hard drives.
For each movie I went to Google Images and downloaded each movie poster in JPG format (The Best I Could Find).
I don't use JRiver 25 to play any media, I only use it to catalog my movies.
Here is the unusual way I want to do it, Instead of scanning the actual movie files I just want to scan the movie JPGs
I'm not at all interest in the data about the movies (Actors, Genres, Plots etc)
I have set up a testing database to try this out and seems to work find (See Attachment)
I have the thumbnails of the jpgs grouped by year which looks great, However I can't figure out how
     to make the name of the movie appear under each JPG
Can someone help me with this - Remember I'm using Images only!  Tks in advance - Newbie David

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Images With Names
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 11:40:41 am »

Right-click your "simple" view in the file tree>customize view>under "show categories in this order", select the category that you wish to assign the new file caption to, select "Edit">Under Expression to Display, enter the field containing the movie title (usually [Name])

dnavratil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 01:13:28 pm »

Bryan, I did it exactly as you said, the titles now appear under the JPG but now I've lost my ability to group by year.  Can you put that expression on 1 line for me  I'm reading it as [Name] [/quote]  I think that's my problem.  What is [/quote] for?  Tks David N 
I just notice that under Album View I do have a grouping with names but 1/2 the screen is taken up by something else!  See attached!

Right-click your "simple" view in the file tree>customize view>under "show categories in this order", select the category that you wish to assign the new file caption to, select "Edit">Under Expression to Display, enter the field containing the movie title (usually [Name])

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 01:29:31 pm »

Remove [/quote].  It's formatting from the forum post.

dnavratil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 01:32:43 pm »

Thanks Jim, I feel really dumb, however still not working!

Remove .  It's formatting from the forum post.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 05:32:30 am »

I guess you getting movie name from image name … where do you store year for the movie? … in image tag? … in folder structure (aka …/2010/13 Assasins/)?
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

dnavratil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 07:27:15 am »

I actually key in the name of the movie into the "Name" field and then key in the year in the "Year" field!  I've tried just about everything but I can't get it to show the name of the movie and group by year.  I can get it to show the name but not the year, or else group by year but won't show the name!!

I guess you getting movie name from image name … where do you store year for the movie? … in image tag? … in folder structure (aka …/2010/13 Assasins/)?

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 09:53:49 am »

If you use Categories for [view as] … you loose ability to "Group by" … you can add Year to the mix, but it will stack your photos by years instead of what you showed in your post (see attachment)

The closest I could get to what your picture showed is … choose "Panes" for [view as] … add [Name] field to it … then while viewing choose group by year (see attachments)
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

dnavratil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 12:20:37 pm »

I am able to do this if I use the video files however all I'm using are the JPGs of the movie posters!  I don't scan the movie files at all!  I was hoping to put all my JPGs onto 1 flashdrive and use this as my database.  MC25 lets me group them into years but not with the titles!!
Tks for your input, David

If you use Categories for [view as] … you loose ability to "Group by" … you can add Year to the mix, but it will stack your photos by years instead of what you showed in your post (see attachment)

The closest I could get to what your picture showed is … choose "Panes" for [view as] … add [Name] field to it … then while viewing choose group by year (see attachments)

dnavratil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 01:11:43 pm »

I finally got it working!  I created a new "Library View" in Images.  View as panels, with the expression of Field(Name) to appear!  Now I can get my
Movies Cataloged by Image Name and Grouped by Year , I don't have to full around with the actual video files at all!! Thanks to all who helped, very nice of you folks! DN

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2019, 02:14:58 pm »

lol ... thats what 2 first screenshot i send before showed ... create panes with name then group by year

out of curiousity ... if you are  not using MC to watch movies  ... what do you use? ... and why need to catalogue movie images using MC, if you using something else to manage and watch actual video files?

dnavratil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2019, 03:14:51 pm »

I've tried Collectorz but the image quality looked blurry.  When I watch a movie I transfer the file from a external HD to a flash drive and plug the flashdrive into my TV.  I didn't want to use video files in MC25 because my external HDs are getting old and 1 of them stopped working earlier this year and I lost some movies.  The less I use the external HDs the better I feel! Thanks again, David N.
Pages: [1]   Go Up