INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DTS Playback  (Read 1674 times)

rmog2133

• Recent member
DTS Playback
« on: June 26, 2019, 04:21:57 pm »

I'm in the process of moving a bunch of concert DVD's to my hard drive. RIP from DVD Decrypter and then converted to mkv with Handbrake. When DTS is available I use the DTS passthrough option to retain the integrity of the original track.
I am having an issue getting DTS to push out from MC25 (and MC24). Using a Toslink output to the B&K Ref20, same PreAmp processes DTS from DVD when played through the Oppo but MC25 says incompatible format, downgrades it to 2 channel "DTS" and the receiver will then not recognize the input as DTS. Tests in compatible settings via Win10 confirm DTS output and reception from B&K Ref20.
Any ideas?

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: DTS Playback
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 06:52:05 pm »

As an aside, you'll have an easier time ripping and getting to a good MKV if you just use MakeMKV to rip the disc directly to MKV format.  All video and audio tracks will be losslessly preserved in their original on-disc quality.  Better and faster than DVDdecrypter thru Handbrake.  I used to used that.  MakeMKV produces MKV files that will play 100% of the time.  The output file from DVDdecrypter sometimes has problems, like timecode breaks.

I haven't had your problem for a while, but how do you have your bitstreaming option set? (Options->Audio->Settings).  What audio output device are you using? (I.e. The toslink port is on what card in your PC?)

Some of the sound formats on some obscure discs (like 2.1 or 3.0 or 3.1 or 4.1 audio) give some sound cards indigestion, and when you're in that situation there might be no way around it other than switching components.  What I have found was the most compatible thing to do was to allow JRiver to decode the Dolby and DTS formats to multichannel PCM.  You get the exact same sound quality, but without any incompatibilities.  In that case, your preamp will not indicate 5.1 DTS, it will indicate 5.1 PCM. Another advantage is that MC can then do volume control, volume leveling, and other audio processing if you want.

The limitation is that you have to use a higher bandwidth connection to your preamp, like HDMI.  With TOSLINK you're limited to 2 channel PCM or an encoded format.

If you're hardware limited to TOSLINK you'll have to solve your bitstreaming problem...

rmog2133

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 12:48:42 am »

Thank you for responding!
I am using the SPDIF connector from the motherboard (Gigabyte AORUS B450M) to a SPDIF bracket from ASUS. Toslink only to the B&K Reference 20, too old for anything else.

Just changed the output setting as suggested, defaulted to HDMI (explains the 2 channel) but am still not getting sound from the preamp. If I change the Output format to Dolby Digital and adjust the B&K accordingly, I do get the full sound output.

So the question remains, why DTS?

Thanks for the Tip on MakeMKV. I'm going to give it a shot with some movies and series I'm moving to PC. I have been using DVDdecrypter for the Concert DVDs as to get the ISO Image and be able to make a backup copy of the disc as time goes on and the discs wear out. Was using IMGBurn and AnyDVD to break the decoding but found this a simpler solution.

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 03:30:24 am »

I don't have that motherboard, so I don't know what incompatibilities/limitations the audio section might have.  You could have a driver issue.  However, there are two versions of the audio chipset on that motherboard; one supports DTS and the other does not. 

I don't know what you mean by "Tests in compatible settings via Win10 confirm DTS output and reception from B&K".  You might need to explain that more precisely, if none of the following work...

In the Windows control panel sound section, check the properties for your SPDIF out, and ensure that DTS Audio and Dolby Digital are both available and checked, and that you have the correct sample rates underneath checked.

Have you been able to get any non-JRiver software to send DTS through you S/PDIF port?  Try VLC.  (JRiver has a score of options that can make or break this; VLC as two.)

VLC has an option (in the AUDIO settings) for HDMP/SPDIF audio passthrough.  Set that to enabled, and set your device appropriately in the setting right below it.  If you do that, and VLC refuses to send DTS through your optical out, you either have a driver issue you might have the non-DTS chipset, and you better check your motherboard documentation to make sure.  If you have the non-DTS motherboard, then your only option would be to use the HDMI out (with JRiver doing the decoding), which means you're not going to be using that B&K...  The only other workaround I can think of is to set the JRiver output format to Dolby Digital; then the DTS will get converted to DD, which already works for you.  But then you'll need to setup a separate video zone in JRiver so that your regular 2-channel audio doesn't also get converted and compressed.

I will say that B&K is too old if you're going to be serious about video.  It doesn't have any multichannel inputs other than the TOSLINK, and it cannot decode any of the newer audio formats such as are to be found on blu-rays.  Maybe it's time to move on... :)

If VLC is able to send DTS, then JRiver will be able to as well...

First, check and report the exact audio format of the DTS files you're having trouble with; check the "Compression" and "Channels" fields.  If it's DTS and the channels=3, 4, or 5 then your audio driver might be barfing on uncommon DTS formats, and there probably isn't a fix for that other than the one I already gave you.  Some audio drivers think multi-channel always means 2-channel or 5.1 (6-channel) and they don't work properly with other uncommon channel counts.

To best work with what you have in passing DTS, I suggest adjusting the following in JRiver:
 -Make sure your "Bitstreaming" option is set to S/PDIF
 -Under Audio Device (in JRiver settings) try the ASIO or WASAPI options you might have there.
 -There's a setting "Play silence at startup for hardware synchronization"; set it to 1/2 second.
 -In DSP Studio, make sure "Output Format" is turned off (unchecked)
 -In Options->File Types, check what you have for "DTS Audio (dts)"; you might need to try different playback methods under that option.  You might also have to try variations for the Matroska Video option in the same section.

If VLC works but none of this gets it done, you might have an issue with the JRiver audio/video filters, and one of the people here more expert than me (like Hendrik) might have to step in to save you.

rmog2133

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 12:45:07 pm »

Only one SPDIF slot on the motherboard for me, 4 pins. Updated drivers from Gigabyte to see if that was the issue...no luck. It did default to having the DTS  & DD selected in the settings.

So the DTS "test" is exactly as you describe in the windows settings for compatible formats. In selecting either DTS or Dolby Digital you can hit "test" and determine if the device receiving those signals decodes them by producing sound (if not compatible, no sound). Both work, as long as the B&K is setup to receive respective signals. Played with all the sample rates too to make sure sending the right bits out.

I will give VLC a shot later today, sounds like settings are much simpler and I'll see if I can get it to go.

Again, truly appreciate the responses and insight! Thank you!

rmog2133

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 06:55:01 pm »

Success!

Took your advice and downloaded VLC Player to simplify the settings (way more simple! Still like MC better...) and was able to get DTS playback on the B&K!

Then back to MC25 and adjusted settings as you recommended and...success! DTS passthrough to B&K as intended.

Thank you so much! I've been so excited for this new PC build (never done it before and enjoyed the process, performance and price!) but have encountered some frustrations along the way. Having some folks to reach out to regarding this particular issue has been a great relief!

Now off to another forum to see about getting this stupid TV to quit fighting the PC and flicker me into a seizure...
Pages: [1]   Go Up