INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing iso (blu-ray) files from JRiver media server  (Read 3750 times)

DQSpot

Playing iso (blu-ray) files from JRiver media server
« on: June 27, 2019, 07:33:59 pm »

I'm having issues streaming iso blu-ray files from JRiver on my home PC which is set-up as a media server. I have my home PC JRiver library connected to my remote PC via the network key and am able to play music and MKV files, but get a error when trying to play my iso Blu-ray files. These iso files play fine on my home PC. Would appreciate any help / instructions you could provide.

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Playing iso (blu-ray) files from JRiver media server
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 08:31:45 pm »

Perhaps one of the mighty will explain why an iso file cannot be streamed via dlna - words fail me in such an attempt.
English spiders are kind of small, but when I was living in the African rain forest well ......

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 08:45:29 pm »

This is not an MC issue, DLNA does not support the streaming of ISO files.

DLNA is a file based streaming protocol so what you're asking it to do is send the iso file to the renderer and have the renderer crack it open and play the content, which it cannot do. Be like asking Excel to directly open a zip file containing a .xlsx spreadsheet.

Local software on the PC can play an iso as it is specifically designed to mount it and play the content. DLNA is not designed that way,  it just sends the file to the renderer that has indicated it can play the format.

There are a few threads in here that talk to this.

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 08:52:23 pm »

What I would have said had I the words. Well put!
English spiders are kind of small, but when I was living in the African rain forest well ......

darky

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 10:46:20 am »

I rip my blurays to BDMV folder (same content as an iso).
They play from my main pc (library) to my media center with a shared key.

tij

• MC Beta Team
Re: Playing iso (blu-ray) files from JRiver media serv
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 12:12:11 pm »

i think folder structure and iso is not technically same

like somebody mentioned ... its like you have WAV file ... and zip of that WAV ... content same ... package different ... one can be streamed ... another cannot and needs to be fully transfered to target machine where it is unziped and can be played

so ... to play iso ... whole iso file must be loaded to client where it must be properly mounted for playback to start ... so need to make sure client knows what to do with iso once that iso is fully loaded from server

with streamable formats like mkv, mp4, folder structure (which are mt2s), client can start playback as soon as it has enough of buffer

so ... if you choose client to handle iso, must make sure client mounts that iso once it is fully loaded (no idea if thats possible or how to do it) ... or you can set up server to mount iso and stream its contents to client (also not sure if thats possible or how to do it )

personally, i went mkv rout ... only format mkv is not supporting officially now is dolby vision (you can mux in dolby vision stream into mkv ... but as it is not officially supported, cannot be sure that no information has been lost in the process)

there were times when mkv officially supported 3d, but no player can play it ... in that case, as i ripped my 3d to mkv i was at least sure data is not lost and at some point something would come up that can play them (which eventually did ... around year later) ... but with dolby vision, mkv path is not so clear

i read on some forum ... that some guy able to use mkv with dolby vision stream mux in to create an mp4 file ... and that mp4 triggered dolby vision mode in TV, which suggests that dolby vision data was preserved ... have not test that myself though (on my “to do list” lol)

HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

darky

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2019, 04:23:24 pm »

I do not think an ISO file is compressed...just a package that can contain some more info then just the contents of a disk.
So it is not a zip file of folders.

Getting the folders out would be a quick test to try streaming..and you keep the menu;s

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2019, 10:58:00 pm »

Guys, this is not a DLNA issue. DQSpot is playing from a PC running MC Server to a PC running a MC Client. While using JRiver Media Network does use some DLNA functionality, for discovery and such as I understand it, the playback part is not standard DLNA.

I suspect that if an ISO contained just an MP4 file, the Client would play it.

The problem most likely is that the ISO contains a Blu-ray rip. A MC Client won't play a Blu-ray folders rip, unless the Client can see the folder structure as a local file, so I don't think it will play a Blu-ray ISO either. But I don't have any ISOs to test with, and that is not on my agenda for today.
EDIT: Darky if it works for you, are you using a NAS with a common drive letter assigned for each the MC Server and PC Client? Otherwise, I would not expect what you said to work.

Note that MC will play a DVD folder rip from a Server to a Client, but only play the main movie, and not the DVD Menu. So someone could test playing a DVD ISO to check how that works... or not.

Anyway, DQSpot, see setting "Options > Media Network > Client Options... > Play local file if one that matches server file is found". Search the forum for that. See if you can set up the conditions that allow that setting to work. i.e. The server sees the file as Z:\Movies\Crackers.iso, and the Client sees exactly the same path and filename.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2019, 01:05:18 am »

MC cannot play ISOs at all out of the box (except SACD ISOs), local or from remote. To even play an ISO locally, you would need to mount it with an external tool and some manual setup. Remote playback is yet another hurdle on top of that.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2019, 01:20:10 am »

Ah, I thought there had been an auto-mount process implemented. But then I don't use ISO files.

I guess the Wiki is still accurate then. https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/ISO_Files
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

darky

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2019, 04:45:49 am »

MC cannot play ISOs at all out of the box (except SACD ISOs), local or from remote. To even play an ISO locally, you would need to mount it with an external tool and some manual setup. Remote playback is yet another hurdle on top of that.

I just opened a dvd ISo though File > open media file
2 things happen
-windows opens the iso and shows the directories
-jriver ask if I want to rip or play.( windows 10 mounted the iso?)

From the library it does only open the iso and shows the directory.

It seems jriver kinds knows how to handle them.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2019, 04:54:44 am »

Well, thats not really Media Center doing much. Since MC doesn't know what to do with an ISO, it hands it back to the OS. Windows 10 can mount ISOs as fake drives, so it mounts it, a new drive shows up. MC sees the drive, and prompts you for playback of a newly inserted optical disc.

Its hardly a seamless experience with the folder popping up and the prompt.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

darky

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2019, 04:59:22 am »

Well, thats not really Media Center doing much. Since MC doesn't know what to do with an ISO, it hands it back to the OS. Windows 10 can mount ISOs as fake drives, so it mounts it, a new drive shows up. MC sees the drive, and prompts you for playback of a newly inserted optical disc.

Its hardly a seamless experience with the folder popping up and the prompt.

agree. it is not nice to have folders popping up in theatre view.
I keep it with dvd and blu ray folders. They do well.
Size wise they should be similar.

Conrad

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2019, 03:22:03 pm »

If you choose "always play" or similar when prompted, you get a seamless experience.
When I choose to start a movie that's an ISO it mounts (using daemon tools, but it works without as well) and plays the movie. This is with a mounted drive to my NAS for all my media.

The only non-seamless bits for me are:
- playing an ISO, then switching to non-iso content, then switching back to the same ISO, I get the folders. As the ISO is already mounted it just shows me the content. If I want to play that movie I have to drives and devices, and expand and click play
- deleting a mounted ISO is obviously not possible

Dismounting the ISO on stop would solve both of these issues.
Pages: [1]   Go Up