INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Create a TV view that only shows live sports programs  (Read 991 times)

jachin99

• Citizen of the Universe
Create a TV view that only shows live sports programs
« on: June 27, 2019, 09:19:52 pm »

I'm trying to create a view that only shows currently playing sports programs.  I created a rule in my view that only shows the sports genre, and modified it to remove reuns but I'm not sure that will get me entirely what I want.  Is there a way to add a modifier that filters my list down to programs that are playing now, or on a specific day or timespan?  Thanks. 

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: Create a TV view that only shows live sports programs
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 11:14:52 pm »

For both those, if you are happy to work in Standard View...

Just use the standard Television View in the left Navigation Bar, select "All Programs", then in the search box in the top right, enter "[Genre]=Sport -[Rerun]=1" without quotes.

Then right-click on the search field, select "Load / Save" " Save, give it a name, then you can recall that search at any time by right-clicking in the box selecting "load / Save" and loading the search again.

I Theatre View, harder, and probably not the same functionality. There is a search term that may be useful, [TVTime], but I didn't find documentation for it. Then there are all the TVInfo() commands: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Miscellaneous_Functions#TVInfo

Oh wait, one of the TVInfo() commands will help you out on the first bit. TVInfo(TimeDisplay) returns "Showing" if a program is currently live. So just set your View to TVInfo(TimeDisplay)=Showing, plus the Genre and Rerun criteria.

For the specific date or timespan, Standard View is best, as you can change the View to show specific Dates and times. Theatre View only has "Time" menu which gives rough selection, but not specific data entry.

See how you go with that.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jachin99

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 08:05:53 am »

Thanks again!!  I tried a few of those out but I'm going wrong somewhere with the TV Info portion.  Here is a screenshot of my attempt.  This doesn't work, and I'm guessing I'm just putting my expressions or what not into the wrong text box. 

jachin99

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 12:59:03 pm »

I might be getting closer, but I'm not sure.  I inserted the function differently this time, and it looks like this should work better but I still get no results in my view.  I event removed every other rule and just left the now showing and limited the results to the TV database but my view comes back empty. 

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 04:03:47 pm »

I think you are in the wrong place.  in Standard view, go to the Television sub heading on the left side of MC.  This should bring up 'All Programs" in standard view for TV.  Now, in the upper right corner of the MC window, is a search bar.  Paste the search into that search bar.  Now you should be only showing sports shows.  now you can save the search.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 08:26:46 pm »

There are actually two solutions in the above post Muzicman, one for Standard View and one for Theatre View.

The Theatre View one needs some work.

Jachin99, I suggest that you set up a tab of the Standard View solution so that you can confirm there are Sports programs currently showing, for testing on the Theatre View solution. It would be no use testing it if nothing was currently showing!

Then set up a EPG View (just a new View with no Categories, and restricted to the Television Guide database) on another tab, so you can switch between the views, and add an Expression column to the View, temporarily, with just the expression "TVInfo(TimeDisplay)", then sort by [Date Recorded] so that all the programs are in showing date/time, then scroll down to the current day and time. Observe what that column displays for days before and after the current day, for times before and after now, and for the current time.

You will see that programs that are actually showing now, the column returns "Showing", and for all other times it returns either the data and time, or just the time.

So, the function works, and it is showing what we want. Using that information in an expression is a little bit tricky though.

If you look at the rules for the standard Guide in Theatre View, you will see an example of the use of the TVInfo() function:
-[=TVInfo(ChannelKeywords)&DataType=[List]]=[Hidden]

The "&DataType=[List]" is just there because multiple values can be returned for ChannelKeywords, and the "-" at the beginning is just saying "NOT", so your function should read something like:
[=TVInfo(TimeDisplay)]=[Showing]

Boom! That works. So does:
[=TVInfo(TimeDisplay)]="Showing"
[=TVInfo(TimeDisplay)]=Showing

as the square brackets, [], just restrict the criteria to exactly the value "Showing", while the '""' restrict it to including "Showing", as does not using brackets. All as explained in the Wiki.

Why does the expression need to be specified that way? Well, because that is how MC works. The function "TVInfo(TimeDisplay)" needs to be evaluated before it can be used in a comparison, hence the "=" before it. That needs to be specified as a value to compare, hence the [] brackets around that. Then a simple and normal comparison can be done. So the expression is just in the form "Value"="Showing", but determining the "Value" requires some extra work.

Try all that. It should work for you. Toggle the List Style to have a look at the different formats. The simple List stye or the Guide style look best to me. In the Guide style you can see how far into the program the broadcast is.

If you wanted to see the programs currently showing, plus any about to start, you could modify the above expression to look at Showing programs, or any stating in the next hour, for example. There is an exercise for you.  ;)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jachin99

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 11:02:48 am »

Just wanted to say thanks real quick. Bit isn't complete but I think I have setup my view in theater view mostly to my liking.  I setup a few in standard view as well but I'm not done experimenting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up