INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library not updating  (Read 1355 times)

exponent

• Recent member
Library not updating
« on: June 30, 2019, 04:53:06 pm »

I am having two problems with my library that are probably related. The first is my library contains files that are in directories I dont want scanned. For instance my library displays items from drive D: but I not have D:\ or any of its subfolders configured in media import.

The other problem  I have is that I have files that are not being found. I just added a bunch of DSD files. They are in E:\media\sacd.  E:\media, the parent directory  is configured in media import as are its subdirectories. The files are valid and I can play them fine using quickplay. I also tried moving flac files into the E:\media\sacd folder and they are also not displayed in the audio library.

It looks very much like the library simply wont update. Is there a way to force the library to update?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Library not updating
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 09:34:36 pm »

For instance my library displays items from drive D: but I not have D:\ or any of its subfolders configured in media import.

When you first installed MC, which looks like it would have been recently, it would have started a 45 second countdown to scanning your whole PC looking for media files, in the Action Window in the bottom left corner. If you didn't stop the countdown, MC would have gone ahead and looked through you whole PC for media files.

Just create a View or Smartlist to look only at the D:\, or search all media for "D:\", check what is found, and if all is good, hit delete and select "Remove from Library". Do that very carefully, as MC can and will delete what you tell it to delete from disk, including your treasured photos if you are not careful. Make a MC Library backups before you start.

The other problem  I have is that I have files that are not being found. I just added a bunch of DSD files. They are in E:\media\sacd.  E:\media, the parent directory is configured in media import as are its subdirectories. The files are valid and I can play them fine using quickplay. I also tried moving flac files into the E:\media\sacd folder and they are also not displayed in the audio library.

Go into Auto Import Configuration settings, select the " E:\media" directory, click the "Edit" button to the right, check that Audio is ticked, expand the Audio item, then check that "DSD Audio" is ticked. You may want to do that for all the directories that you want Auto Import to use, including your " f:\transfer" video directory.

It looks very much like the library simply wont update. Is there a way to force the library to update?

You can manually run Auto Import if you are impatient and want to see them now!

Note also that MC relies on "File System Events" to decide when to run Auto Import. Normally, on Windows and using local disks, File System Events are generated whenever you add a file, change, or delete it. If the files are on a NAS it is up to the NAS to generate the File System Events, and some do not. The file system used also needs to be capable of generating File System Events. If the system reports that File System Events aren't going to be generated, MC falls back to checking Auto Import locations at certain time intervals. However, if the file system tells MC that it will generate File System Events, but then doesn't, MC will not run Auto Import at regular intervals, as it is relying on Events.

So, if for any reason your system is saying it will generate Events, and doesn't, MC will not see new files or import them. That is specific to your system and setup.

There is another possible issue, that is more common with video files, and would be very unlikely to happen with FLAC files. I'll cover that on your other thread.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up