INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: metadata for movies  (Read 1256 times)

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
metadata for movies
« on: July 01, 2019, 07:45:50 am »

Hi all Having issuse's with the metadata of movies on the auto import function where the movie or movies gets imported and gets actors and directors but no synopsis (ie Description) and cover art.
Movies are setup ie movie name & (year) (so it looks like this example:folder:  john wick (2014)\file: john wick (2014) im puzzled why no synopsis & cover art??, manual import gets everythink (dont fancy doing manually all the time defeats the auto import function dont it.
Also tag is setup as movie (hence it's importing in the right place)

The file container is .MKV

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: metadata for movies
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 11:44:56 am »

any help from devs on this

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 12:35:18 pm »

The metadata comes from third party sites and may not always be correct.

The data you enter (name, for example) needs to be accurate.  Having the year in the name won't help.

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 01:10:09 pm »

Well it is accurate hence it gets it manually without any change to the search name....

auto import only gets gets actors and directors so any help in trying to fix this auto import would be great

Can you explain why the name and year wont work , when there's remakes of movies which themoviedb has by the year example Pet Sematary now has two with same name so without the year how is the auto import going to tell which movie is which ie 1989 or 2019

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 10:17:26 pm »

The only reason I know that a movie would get the correct actors and directors in the metadata fields, but not other fields such as Description, Name, and maybe Cover Art, is that those tags in the file already had a value in them when they were imported.

Auto Import won't overwrite existing tags when it runs automatically. It uses existing tag value ahead on metadata parsed from the filename. Also, running Auto Import on multiple files won't overwrite existing tags. It is only when you run "Get Movie & TV Info..." manually on individual files that you get the option to overwrite existing tags.

I think the "Get Movie & TV Info..." function does use the [Year] if CARNAC can parse it from the filename as part of the Auto Import process. But there were a bunch of changes around that area functionality some time back, and I don't recall how it all ended up.

Search the forum for posts by Hendrik about it. I think he gave some definitive comments.

The only way to test is to have a clean file with no tag values, so that just what is parsed from the filename is used for the lookup. Testing seems to be made more difficult by Windows 10, which doesn't seem to allow the Title tag to be deleted from files anymore. It complains of permissions for a couple of test files I created from existing files. Grrrr. So I'll leave testing to you BigMuscles!

What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 12:57:17 am »

These movies are fresh from tags ie no tags in file name thats why i cant understand why its not geting info and cover art for movie.

If i click on said movie file select properties the go to details tab in the theres fields for title, subtitle etc all are blank ie no tags. so im puzzled about this.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2019, 01:12:30 am »

Under Configure Auto-Import do you have Cover Art and Get Movie & TV Info selected?

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 03:41:42 am »

yes,and set as movie also , im puzzled looks like i have to do it manually every new movie i get oh well.

thanks for all who has replied.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2019, 04:15:23 am »

What happens if you take auto import out  of the scenario?

If you import couple of movies by hand from some directory which is not auto import folder. Then Check Name and Date tag (I think that both are used if available) and select all these imported files to do MASS check for meta data. Check also your mass check parameters (use image, use data, overwrite)

Is the result same as it was with auto import?

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2019, 04:56:30 am »

hi i dont know how to reply now because in my first post i explained it quite well ie auto import not working 100% manual import works 100% (dont even need to change anythink in search bar for movie manual mode  picks it up and gets all info, where as auto misses the cover art and synopsis

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2019, 06:50:12 am »

hi i dont know how to reply now because in my first post i explained it quite well ie auto import not working 100% manual import works 100% (dont even need to change anythink in search bar for movie manual mode  picks it up and gets all info, where as auto misses the cover art and synopsis
Well it's not clear for me from your post if you did manual mass metadata scraping or just selected one movie and did metadata search for that and selected correct item.

Because when doing it for one movie you'll get to choose from the results and with mass update MC selects first choice without user interference and if that mass update works I don't see why doesn't it work with auto import as I'd assume that auto import just executes the same mass update search so the results should be the same.

So just to make sure that everybody is talking about same exact thing to be able to maybe create the same circumstances so someone else could also see the problem.

Is actors and directors the only thing which get scraped? Not sure how MC handles all the matroska tags but could they come straight from the file and auto import initiated scraping isn't actually finding anything..?

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2019, 09:47:37 am »

i name files same  .../[Movie name] ([Year])/[Movie name] ([Year]).mkv

some of my movies are experiencing same thing

what i noticed in my case ... they do have name tags set by program that generated them (in my case MakeMKV or MKVToolnix) ... its not obvious ... but it can be set like “DIE_HARD” or “SHREK_3D” or “CLERKS_2” ... i think even tag like “Die Hard(1988)” gives me trouble

i think in those case info cannot be scraped from imdb ... and got pick from google with some info missing ... i usually just manually get needed info as there are not many cases like that
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2019, 10:07:56 am »

Next build will strip the year off the name if it finds it when doing a movie lookup.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up