INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recording set to TS but is saving in jtv format  (Read 1075 times)

atc98092

• Junior Woodchuck
Recording set to TS but is saving in jtv format
« on: July 01, 2019, 05:45:20 pm »

I did a search, but everything related to older versions. I have MC set up and working great on my Windows 7 media PC. With JRiver I intent to finally update this computer to Windows 10. The first day or two MC was recording in TS format, as I have configured. However, starting last night all recordings are in JTV format. I require these in TS format to use VideoReDo to edit the commercials out. Yes, I'am aware of Comskip, but have never been satisfied with the results. Plus I use MCEBuddy to convert the video to H.264 to speed up my editing.

What happened that I now can't record in TS format? I did notice this morning that MC wasn't seeing my tuner card. I'm assuming Windows Media Center had control of it at that moment, so perhaps it changed thinking there was no digital tuner. I have another recording that is supposed to start in another hour, so I'll see what happens then.

atc98092

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Recording set to TS but is saving in jtv format
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 07:08:11 pm »

OK, another recording has started, and it is correctly in TS format. I believe my guess about Windows Media Center locking the tuner was accurate. Onward and upwards!  ;D

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 08:47:22 pm »

Having WMC installed on the same PC, whether it is running or not, can really muck up MC TV functionality and tuner availability. That is because WMC will still check tuners occasionally, and will use them for EPG updates when it wants to, without checking if they are already in use. WMC and all its services need to be completely shut down for MC to work properly. Or just uninstalled, which I guess will happen as soon as you update to Windows 10.  8)

Regardless, that shouldn't have changed the recording format to JTV. Could the JTV files have been Time Shift files, rather than a recording? Because MC always saves Time Shift files in JTV format, and then deletes them later, even when recording in TS format.

Mind you, if MC was able to save Time Shift files, that meant it had access to a tuner, so it should have been able to do the recording.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 09:57:48 pm »

If you set recording format to TS, the only way a recording can be in JTV format is when an analog tuner or video capture device (for STB channels for example) is being used to do the recording and that analog tuner is not hardware compressed.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

jachin99

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 09:05:37 pm »

I'm in a similar situation but I haven't had many issues with WMC taking my tuners.  I disabled any kind of automatic updates or guide downloading and I only use epg123 for guide updates for both WMC and JRriver.  I believe you have mentioned that you didn't want to subscribe to shedules direct though and epg123 requires that.  I also use video redo along with a program called VAP.  VAP can monitor a folder and automatically cut commercials.  I haven't had any issues with comskip but I should note though that I use the donator version of comskip.  I think video redo can re encode to most formats so why use MCE buddy?  Im still leaving my recordings at mpeg wtv and jriver seems to do fine with those.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 08:24:52 am »

I seem to remember, from the last time I worked with WMC about 4 years ago, that you can set the tuner order/priority in WMC. And JR MC can also set tuner priority... So the closest you can get is to set WMC tuner priority "top to bottom", then set JR MC priority "bottom to top". This will produces less chance of "collision". I think WMC is done channel by channel, so it is a PAIN to setup. JR MC is much more flexible, you can even restrict/leave tuners out completely.

This won't help with WMC grabbing tuners for guide downloading, I don't recall if that can be disabled as I never mucked with WMC guide alternative providers.

EDIT: Tuner priority in WMC "Tasks => Settings => Guide => Edit channels.  Select channel => Edit sources".
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

jachin99

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 08:55:43 am »

I also don't have MC and WMC on the same machine.  I wonder if its the actual guide download that causes WMC to grab tuners or some other scheduled task.  You could go into the Win 7 task scheduler and look at the tasks under Media Center to see if there is something you can disable.  I'll have a look at mine later to see if what is in there. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up