INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: M4V video files displayed as MP4  (Read 428 times)

Cinelder

• World Citizen
M4V video files displayed as MP4
« on: July 04, 2019, 01:39:10 pm »

With MC 25.0.71, I've noticed that after importing new M4V files, they're  being shown in MC view as "MP4". 

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: M4V video files displayed as MP4
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 04:05:34 pm »

M4A, M4V, ... are all just MP4 files with a different extension because Apple. Is there a reason this is a problem for you?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Cinelder

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 04:45:27 pm »

Yes, it is a problem.  I still know they're not MKV files and they play as well as they ever did.  It matters in terms of taxonomy - With everything new showing up as MP4, that appears to be less file extension information available to me in MC to manage my video collection than in Explorer, and it's inconsistent with Explorer.   Now I have new files with M4V extensions not being displayed as M4V files, but existing M4V files in the library do, consistent with how they're displayed in Explorer. I can distinguish between the two extensions in old files, but not newly imported ones.    It appears to be new behavior and for me it does create problems,  as they would if Explorer suddenly didn't distinguish between M4V and MP4 file extensions.  Why the change? 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 09:29:40 am »

I've switched the new file type detector to make M4V stay as M4V.  There was already a case to make M4A files stay that way.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Cinelder

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 10:22:54 am »

Thank you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up