INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oppo 105 / PC / Media Center setup  (Read 1504 times)

NotRick

Oppo 105 / PC / Media Center setup
« on: July 04, 2019, 04:14:54 am »

I've got a ModWright Oppo BDP-105 (tube outputs on the 2ch audio). Due to life happening, it's been sitting in a box for a bit more than two years.  I am finally going to get it setup.   The Oppo will feed a Parasound P7 preamp which will, in turn, feed an ADCOM 5ch amp - at the moment I'm only using 2 or maybe 2.1 channels - that's not likely to change anytime soon unless I move everything to a different room.

So, I have some (a few hundred) DSD tracks, and the rest are FLAC on a USB drive. Currently, it's connected via a piece of crap Mac Mini. How they made an i7 run that slowly, I'll never know.  It's going away. I can't take it anymore.   I'll hook up my old gaming machine and run MC on that and probably store the files on a 2T SSD.   

The PC will connect via USB to the OPPO DAC input.  Then I'll run the 2ch audio out to one of the audio inputs on the P 7 - and I'll run the 7.1 from the Oppo to the 7.1 on the P 7 for Blueray/Streaming Video.

What I'm confused about is how to set up MC so that it feeds the highest quality files to the Oppo (DAC) Which should handle up to DSD 128.  How do I know if Media Center is feeding the DSD to the DAC - and should I let MC handle any upconversions or should I feed what I've got (mostly CD rips) to the DAC and let it do what it wants?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Oppo 105 / PC / Media Center setup
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 12:17:02 pm »

You can find the audio path by clicking on the third of the three small icons in the upper right corner.  Click on DSP Studio to see more of your settings.

The Oppo can probably play anthing you send it unmodified. 

NotRick

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 02:33:46 am »

You can find the audio path by clicking on the third of the three small icons in the upper right corner.  Click on DSP Studio to see more of your settings.

The Oppo can probably play anthing you send it unmodified.

Thanks - I think I might do a Linux machine instead of Windows and save myself the Windows tax.

Questions:
  Will I be missing any significant features by going to Linux? (it sounds like they're the same code base so I'd guess no)

Will JRemote work from an iPad to control MC25 running on Linux?  If not, is there a remote that I can use?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 06:53:09 am »

For audio, the Linux version should do what the Windows version can.  That includes remote control.  Cloudplay isn't fully working yet.

MikeyFresh

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 02:15:22 pm »

Thanks - I think I might do a Linux machine instead of Windows and save myself the Windows tax.

Questions:
  Will I be missing any significant features by going to Linux? (it sounds like they're the same code base so I'd guess no)

Will JRemote work from an iPad to control MC25 running on Linux?  If not, is there a remote that I can use?

I've had no issues with MC on Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon, running on a repurposed HP EliteBook 8460p, i5, 8GB RAM, 1TB SSD.

No real difference on Linux Mint 19 as compared to my Lenovo Windows 10 Pro laptop, despite that machine having 16GB of RAM and an i7 CPU, they seem the same in terms of MC performance as a music server.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 06:22:16 pm »

Will JRemote work from an iPad to control MC25 running on Linux?

Yes, have this working no problem at all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up