INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac Client crashes on syncing library from Linux Server  (Read 1197 times)

Cerebro

• Recent member
Mac Client crashes on syncing library from Linux Server
« on: July 08, 2019, 12:04:03 am »

Hi, I just upgraded my master license from 24>25 with the hope that this issue was fixed..

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,119510.msg826349.html#msg826349

However, not so :(

TL;DR:
- Running Server on Ubuntu
- Running Client on Mac. I can do remote connect and play just fine.
- 'Sync Library' causes the Mac client to crash without any error message. Just closes.

Would anyone have an idea..?

Thanks!! Maik

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!

Hi Maik.  I replied and asked for a file in the original thread.  Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Cerebro

• Recent member

Hi Matt, thanks for the reply! apologize, did not notice your earlier response.
I have since moved to a new Mac, so don't have the same file anymore. I just reproduced it on my new mac and attached a new log.

Thanks in advance! Maik

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Well this is quite a puzzle.

It's just pulling the image out of:
/Users/maik/Documents/03 Music/46 itunes/Music/Michael Pollan/The Omnivore's Dilemma - A Natural Histo/6-01 06a.mp3

That gives:
/Users/maik/Library/Application Support/J River/Media Center 25/Temp/MP3 Image - 123145314992128.jpg

And the program goes away.

You could send me the MP3 to test.  I'm matt at jriver dot com.

You could also update to build 74 here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,121380.0.html

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Cerebro

• Recent member

Hi Matt

I have updated to build 74. No change.

I have also just sent you the file via onedrive!

Thanks!! Maik

Cerebro

• Recent member

what else I tried:
- I removed the offending file. > no change

- I created an entire new/blank local library on my mac and tried to sync with my remote library on inux. > same crash. I attached an updated log for that.

bob

• Administrator

what else I tried:
- I removed the offending file. > no change

- I created an entire new/blank local library on my mac and tried to sync with my remote library on inux. > same crash. I attached an updated log for that.
It just shows sync as the last thing to run.
I can't duplicate this either.
What are your authentication settings in MC Media Network Settings (linux)?
What are your Media Network->Client settings (Mac)?
Can you send a copy of your library backup from linux to me: bob (at) jriver (dot) com ?

Cerebro

• Recent member

Hi Bob,

Thank you! I have sent you a onedrive link. The folder has screenshots and my linux library. Hope we can figure this out :) Has been puzzling me for years.
Again, my remote access to the library (even ssl over internet) strangely works fine..even from the same mac client. what does not work is to sync the library, which I would love to do.

Best, Maik

bob

• Administrator

Hi Bob,

Thank you! I have sent you a onedrive link. The folder has screenshots and my linux library. Hope we can figure this out :) Has been puzzling me for years.
Again, my remote access to the library (even ssl over internet) strangely works fine..even from the same mac client. what does not work is to sync the library, which I would love to do.

Best, Maik
What you provided was very useful, thanks!

On the Mac client, would you uncheck the box in Media Network that disables disk buffering for audio files and see if that makes any difference?

Also, I see you have 2 interfaces on the linux server, what is the second interface and is it active??

Cerebro

• Recent member

i have disabled the checkmark > no change, mac app still crashes instantly.

the second interface: I actually have no idea what that is!

bob

• Administrator

i have disabled the checkmark > no change, mac app still crashes instantly.

the second interface: I actually have no idea what that is!
I tried with your library and tested by changing the track number in the tags on the Miley Cyrus track from 21 to 22 and synced back without trouble.

I wonder if it has something to do with the second interface on linux?

There is a setting you can use for testing this theory, you will need to enter it into:
~/.jriver/Media Center 25/Settings/User Settings.ini
file by hand with a text editor (use vi, or geany or some such) with MC NOT running.

Under the DLNA section [DLNA]
add:
Bind Only To="192.168.72.172"
(I'm assuming that's your ethernet interface, change it to the other if not).

When you start MC back up on the linux server you should note that the second interface shouldn't be showing in your Media Network status display any more.

Then try the Mac sync test again.

Thanks.

Cerebro

• Recent member

Sorry for the stupid question: Where would the MC be normally installed? where should I look for the file in the folder structure?

Thanks! Maik

bob

• Administrator

Sorry for the stupid question: Where would the MC be normally installed? where should I look for the file in the folder structure?

Thanks! Maik
Hi Maik,
The path:
~/.jriver/Media Center 25/Settings/User Settings.ini
Means in your home directory, there is a .jriver folder and you'll find User Settings.ini in the Media Center 25/Settings folder underneath that.
Normally, I just pull up a terminal as the user running MC and use my favorite editor (vi) from the command line, I'm pretty sure you will use something different!

Cerebro

• Recent member
Re: Mac Client crashes on syncing library from Linux Server
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2019, 10:47:33 pm »

Hi, I edited the Settings files. However, the moment I start up MC (V 25.0.81) it changes the file and removes my entry. It does not honour the ini update and removes it. I confirmed that 3 times.
Known behavior?

EDIT1: I just noticed that with version 81 it does not crash anymore, even with the second interface. However, i stopped the 'loading library' process, because I noticed things like this in the log:

0227445: 123145468035072: Import: ImportNewFiles:     New File: /Users/maik/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/Masters/2018/07/28/20180728-091942/2006-06-13 20-18-38 - LR-20060613-201838---iewoftheStreetsDresdenPieschen_.jpg
Why would MC touch my photos library? All I expected it to do was to sync the photos from my linux server to my mac.

EDIT2: I am in the mood to report funny things :) this is a behavior I encounter regularly on my mac client..before on 24, now on 25. this happened after I closed MC (exit). It runs wild like this for a long time. I had cases, where it would hijack my keyboard, so that there was no way to kill those rogue processes, aside from hard shutdown of my mac. Not great :( Again, all this is on a brand new mac. I restored my previous MC backup.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0QBZPeg1Pw7NSJFjNzLEitHTQ

Thanks! Maik

bob

• Administrator
Re: Mac Client crashes on syncing library from Linux Server
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2019, 10:54:50 am »

Hi, I edited the Settings files. However, the moment I start up MC (V 25.0.81) it changes the file and removes my entry. It does not honour the ini update and removes it. I confirmed that 3 times.
Known behavior?
I just verified that this works and sticks on 25.0.81. Make sure MC is NOT running when you add it to the User Settings.ini file and that it's in the [DLNA] section if you still want to try it.
EDIT1: I just noticed that with version 81 it does not crash anymore, even with the second interface. However, i stopped the 'loading library' process, because I noticed things like this in the log:

0227445: 123145468035072: Import: ImportNewFiles:     New File: /Users/maik/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/Masters/2018/07/28/20180728-091942/2006-06-13 20-18-38 - LR-20060613-201838---iewoftheStreetsDresdenPieschen_.jpg
Why would MC touch my photos library? All I expected it to do was to sync the photos from my linux server to my mac.
The default of an install for MC if the library is empty is to create a library from the standard locations for Music, Audio and Video files.
You can turn this off by going into Tools->Options->Library & Folders and uncheck "Run import on empty libraries".
Also, go to Tools->Import->Configure auto-import and remove any auto-import folders you do want there.
EDIT2: I am in the mood to report funny things :) this is a behavior I encounter regularly on my mac client..before on 24, now on 25. this happened after I closed MC (exit). It runs wild like this for a long time. I had cases, where it would hijack my keyboard, so that there was no way to kill those rogue processes, aside from hard shutdown of my mac. Not great :( Again, all this is on a brand new mac. I restored my previous MC backup.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0QBZPeg1Pw7NSJFjNzLEitHTQ

Thanks! Maik
I've got no clue as to what PluginLauncher is. I don't think it's part of MC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up