INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: NUC8 Audio & Video Problems  (Read 11875 times)

Mark75

• Recent member
NUC8 Audio & Video Problems
« on: July 08, 2019, 01:16:42 pm »

Hello,

I have 2 problems playing mediafiles with JRiver:
1. I hear nothing playing flac-files at 44.1, 88.2 and 176.4 hz. Other hz play fine, bitrate is not an issue (16-44.1 & 24-44.1 both have no sound). JRiver does play the files, I see that looking at the equalizer, I just don't hear anything. I've tried Windows Media Player to play a file at 16-44.1, and that works.
2. JRiver doesn't play videofiles at an other framerate than my desktopsetting when 'Display settings automatic change mode' is set to on or custom.

It all used to work fine over the years on my Windows 7 HTPC connected to my Pioneer SC-LX76. I've replaced both devices because of their age when the issues described started popping up. Also my Pioneer supposedly had issues with an Intel driver. Now I have an Intel NUC8i5BEH on Windows 10 Pro as an HTPC, and an Anthem MRX720 as a receiver. And the issue is still there. They're connected by HDMI, and from my Anthem also HDMI to my FHD Samsung TV. I'm running JRiver 25.0.71 64 bit. Audio is set to WASAPI using Intel Display Audio. Channels are set to 5.1 (which is my setup), no upmixing or downmixing. I'm running the latest Intel Graphics Driver for Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 (26.20.100.6912), and Display Audio (10.27.0.4). My NUC has this videocard on board. This is a DCH driver and it works my NUC. But when I search for NUC-drivers (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/126148/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC8i5BEH), the latest version is 25.20.100.6519.

I don't know what to try anymore. I've tried just about anything. Please help?

Best regards, Mark

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Audio & video problems - please help
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 01:31:03 pm »

For the audio problem, you can use MC's DSP Studio > Output Settings to resample those that don't play.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 02:19:07 pm »

using RO Standard or HQ (MadVR) fir video playback?
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

Mark75

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 02:34:16 pm »

For the audio problem, you can use MC's DSP Studio > Output Settings to resample those that don't play.

Hi Jim,

thank you for your help. I will try this. Could you help me understand why I need to resample whilst previously this wasn't necessary? Both my on-board soundcard and receiver support these hz-rates.

Thank you,
Mark

Mark75

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 02:36:04 pm »

using RO Standard or HQ (MadVR) fir video playback?

Hi Rij, I'v tried both, no difference between the two. I always used RO Standard.

Regards, Mark

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 09:58:31 pm »

Have you tried adding a delay to give your display time to change refresh rates? It's in Video options, under Display Options, and is called Wait on Change. Try 5 or 10 seconds.
That might allow the refresh rate to actually change.

wer

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 01:57:40 am »

The video problem sounds like it could be an HDMI handshaking issue.  Use the display on the Anthem or TV to see if it will tell you what refresh rate and resolution it's receiving.  I would then try MANUALLY changing the desktop refresh rate through your video driver settings, just to see see if the PC's HDMI can sync with the Anthem under those controlled circumstances.  If Windows won't set the refresh rate, JRiver won't be able to do it either.  Let us know what you get.

The audio problem is strange because 16-bit 44.1KHz is standard redbook audio.  It's inconceivable that either the PC or receiver won't accept it.  What do your have for your Audio Device settings in MC?  Try WASAPI, and if that doesn't work, try DirectSound.  It's also possible you might have to try different "Device settings" , which is found right where you select the Audio Device in MC.

Also, go into your Windows control panel, to the sound settings, and check the properties for your audio device on the playback tab.  Make sure all the formats you need show as enabled on the supported formats tab.   There may also be an "Advanced" tab where you can test different audio formats.  If you have options for "Exclusive mode" on the Advanced tab, make sure they are checked.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 02:33:19 am »

There might (should) be a setting on the Anthem MRX720 that says something like "Don't pass audio through to the TV'. If that is set, the HDMI chain should finish at the Pioneer SC-LX76, and MC should see its capabilities. That is different from the Video Pass-through setting.

I suspect both issues are the HDMI chain, as mentioned above.

You don't say, but you should be using WASAPI Exclusive mode in MC.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Mark75

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 01:08:45 pm »

Hi Jim,

resampling works, but I do experience some lag when I play an audiofile. That is, sometimes I miss part of the start from the music. This also happens sometimes when I test the configuration of the audio-device. Do you know what causes this? I've set 'Play silence at startup for hardware synchronization' at 2 seconds. Is that the way to deal with this?

Regards, Mark

Mark75

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 01:39:51 pm »

Have you tried adding a delay to give your display time to change refresh rates? It's in Video options, under Display Options, and is called Wait on Change. Try 5 or 10 seconds.
That might allow the refresh rate to actually change.
Hi Fitbrit,
setting it to 5 seconds and display change set to custom works, but not when I set display change to automatic? Also it seems audio is not quite in sync with video. What are your thoughts on this? With my old Pioneer it was never necessary to set this delay.
Regards, Mark

wer

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 04:54:59 pm »

The Anthem might just be slower than the Pioneer in doing the handshake.  You could try reducing it to 1, 1.5 or 2s.  I've never had equipment that took 5 seconds to sync up, but I haven't had Anthem either...

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2019, 06:57:33 pm »

Oops. I meant to refer to the Anthem MRX720 above. Fixed.

Also, what does the Audio Path shows when you play these tracks that are silent? Does it show MC believes that it is playing, or something else?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Mark75

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2019, 04:10:19 am »

The video problem sounds like it could be an HDMI handshaking issue.  Use the display on the Anthem or TV to see if it will tell you what refresh rate and resolution it's receiving.  I would then try MANUALLY changing the desktop refresh rate through your video driver settings, just to see see if the PC's HDMI can sync with the Anthem under those controlled circumstances.  If Windows won't set the refresh rate, JRiver won't be able to do it either.  Let us know what you get.

The audio problem is strange because 16-bit 44.1KHz is standard redbook audio.  It's inconceivable that either the PC or receiver won't accept it.  What do your have for your Audio Device settings in MC?  Try WASAPI, and if that doesn't work, try DirectSound.  It's also possible you might have to try different "Device settings" , which is found right where you select the Audio Device in MC.

Also, go into your Windows control panel, to the sound settings, and check the properties for your audio device on the playback tab.  Make sure all the formats you need show as enabled on the supported formats tab.   There may also be an "Advanced" tab where you can test different audio formats.  If you have options for "Exclusive mode" on the Advanced tab, make sure they are checked.
Hi all,

I've set my desktop to 1920/1080@23hz, display change off, and when I play a film @ 23,976 the Anthem shows 1080p24. Also when I set my desktop to 1920/1080@24 hz my Anthem shows 1080p24 when I play a movie @ 23,976. So I guess my hardware is capable, right? Display change set to automatic still doesn't work. The shortest delay that works is 2 seconds.

As for my audio settings, I have it set to WASAPI. That's what MC selects as recommended. Playing flac 16-44.1, audiopath shows:
input 44.1khz 16bit 2ch from source format flac
changes:
playing decoded file from memory
convert from 2 channels to 6 channels
output: 44,1khz 24bit (padded) 6ch using wasapi  (direct connection)

When I switch to direct sound, 44,1hz, 88.2 & 176.4 do play  ? 

When audio device is set to wasapi, disabling event style makes that the file doesn't play. And play a little silence has no effect.

Buffer is set to 100 milliseconds

Bitdepth is set to automatic. When I switch it to 16bit integer, it plays 16-44.11, 24-44.1, 24-48, 24-96, 24-192  under WASAPI. But not 24-88.2 & 24-176.4.

When I check the properties of my audio device, it says:
maximum no of channels: 8
HDCP: supported
bitdepths: 16 & 24
samplefrequencies: all from 32 to 192. I can't enable anything here, it just shows as supported
codecs: DTS Audio, DD Plus, DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital, Dolby Atmos (Dolby MAT 2.0)

On the advanced tab, both checkboxes concerning exclusive mode are set. When testing the different audio formats, I often miss the beginning of the sound on the first speaker, like there is some 'lag'. And 16-44.1, 24-192 do work, but not 24-44.1, 24-88.2, 24-176.4. When I run 'solve audioproblems' for the audio-device, it says 'audio-format not set as standard', and 'solves' it. But I have experienced this often. Also, it resets my speakersettings to stereo.

On my Anthem, I haven't found a setting like "Don't pass audio through to the TV'. Is this like ARC? I can't select HDMI ARC for audio-input at the same with HDMI for my HTPC.

I hope this helps in further diagnosing the issue? For now, it seems Direct Sounds works, but this is a lesser sound-quality, right? Also display setting set to custom and 2 seconds delay works.

I'm curious to see what you think.

Best regards,
Mark

Mark75

• Recent member
Re: Audio & video problems
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2019, 04:24:33 am »

I also use Bitstreaming thru HDMI, but I can't use bitstreaming in combination with Direct Sound it appears. That is, I can't play a movie with DTS-HD when audio is set to direct sound with bitstreaming. And that's a pity because my Anthem excels at this point...

wer

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2019, 01:50:49 pm »

I've set my desktop to 1920/1080@23hz, display change off, and when I play a film @ 23,976 the Anthem shows 1080p24. Also when I set my desktop to 1920/1080@24 hz my Anthem shows 1080p24 when I play a movie @ 23,976. So I guess my hardware is capable, right?

Maybe, maybe not.  24Hz and 23.976Hz are not the same thing.  Unfortunately, some equipment/software shows 23.976 as 24, which makes it difficult to distinguish.  When you are running this way, play a 23.976 movie (like a blu-ray) using RedOctober-HQ, and during playback, bring up the MadVR on-screen display.  Right at the top it will tell you the accurate display rate.

Your original description was unclear on one point:  I know you changed the receiver from Pioneer to Anthem, and that you changed from Windows 7 to Windows 10.  Did you actually change the PC hardware to the NUC, or just upgrade the OS?

If you still have the Pioneer, I'd plug it into the NUC and see if the problems go away.

When I switch to direct sound, 44,1hz, 88.2 & 176.4 do play  ?

When audio device is set to wasapi, disabling event style makes that the file doesn't play. And play a little silence has no effect.

Buffer is set to 100 milliseconds

Bitdepth is set to automatic. When I switch it to 16bit integer, it plays 16-44.11, 24-44.1, 24-48, 24-96, 24-192  under WASAPI. But not 24-88.2 & 24-176.4.

This is significant.

First, the specs for your NUC say: "Support for 44.1 kHz/48kHz/96 kHz/192 kHz sample rates on all analog inputs".  There is no mention of support for 88.2 or 176.4.  Maybe that means the spec writer just didn't bother, or maybe those formats don't work.

I looked at the specs for your receiver, and it only says it accepts "up to 192KHz".  It does not specifically say it supports 88.2 & 176.4KHz.

I have a different sound card then you, but in my WASAPI bitdepth settings, other than Automatic, only 2 options work:
16-bit integer
24-bit integer in a 32-bit package

When trying to play 24bit files when set to 16-bit, MC plays them, but Audio Path warns the output bitdepth is insufficient.  This is undesirable.

I suggest you manually try setting to "24-bit integer in a 32-bit package", and see what you get.  I suspect that's what "Automatic" was selecting, based on the Audio Path output you listed before.

It sounds like everything works when using DirectSound, is that right?  DirectSound works because windows and the audio driver convert everything to something the sound card can handle when using direct sound.  You might have to use DirectSound, unless someone with more low-level knowledge about how MC interacts with WASAPI and the audio driver can think of something else.

Your other option would be to enable JRiver's sample rate conversion in the output format module.  Set your WASAPI bit depth for the setting that produces the most compatible results, and then use output format to convert the remaining sampling rates that won't play, 88.2 & 176.4  That might be what DirectSound is doing for you.  If your audio device isn't compatible with those formats, resampling as Jim suggested earlier is your only option.

If the above suggestions don't bear fruit, your audio problem is starting to sound to me like an incompatibility between your NUC audio hardware/drivers and JRiver.  One of the users here, jmone, has done significant testing of NUCs with JRiver.  You might ask him about compatibility issues or necessary tweaks.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2019, 07:39:25 pm »

On my Anthem, I haven't found a setting like "Don't pass audio through to the TV'. Is this like ARC? I can't select HDMI ARC for audio-input at the same with HDMI for my HTPC.

No, they are different things. Not all receivers have an option like that.

But it looks like the problem is definitely that the Intel HDMI driver for your NUC doesn't support  88.2 & 176.4 KHz. It is important to note that it is the "Intel® Display Audio Driver" version (10.27.0.4) or above in the Video Driver you have that is handling audio, and not the onboard soundcard you mentioned earlier. So this;
Both my on-board soundcard and receiver support these hz-rates.
makes no difference. The onboard soundcard isn't being used.

I can't quickly find any sensible information on what your Display Audio driver supports. But Windows will show you what formats are supported if you go to the Properties for the Display Audio device, select the Advanced tab, and click the drop dowwn list in the Default Format area. Something like this image:

Audio works using Direct Sound as Wer said, because Direct Sound always converts to a supported format.

Resample 88.2 up to 96, and 176.4 up to 192 KHz in Output Settings. That isn't ideal but should work fine.

Wer, different sound cards and their drivers, or in this case HDMI Audio Drivers, will support different bit-depths. For example, my simple motherboard based Realtek soundcard on my Workstation supports;
32-bit floating point
32-bit integer
24-bit integer (in a 32-bit package)
24-bit integer
16-bit integer

I have always left the Audio Device bit-depth setting at Automatic, which has worked fine and gives MC the most flexibility.

wer

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2019, 08:08:51 pm »

Wer, different sound cards and their drivers, or in this case HDMI Audio Drivers, will support different bit-depths.

Yep, I know that.  You and I just told him the same thing.   ;D

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2019, 08:46:25 pm »

Yep, I know that.  You and I just told him the same thing.   ;D

I figured you did. I was just clarifying (trying to) that there would probably more than two supported formats on his system. The "24-bit integer in a 32-bit package" is probably not the best format to use, unless your options are limited.

I think Auto is best, rather than selecting a specific format, and MC will pick a matching format if it exists.

wer

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2019, 08:50:06 pm »

Agreed.  I was trying to give him every option to try before resorting to what he seemingly didn't want to do: downsample as Jim originally suggested.

I don't have a NUC to try, so I'm not sure if it definitely doesn't support those formats or not, as the specs could just be imprecisely written.  I'd be a little surprised if the Anthem didn't...

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2019, 09:41:36 pm »

I don't have a NUC to try, so I'm not sure if it definitely doesn't support those formats or not, as the specs could just be imprecisely written.  I'd be a little surprised if the Anthem didn't...

Intel has had issues with HDMI audio on integrated iGPUs for a long time. I think their solution now is to just not share any information about what is supported. I found a little information about the CPU used in the NUC which implied that it would support 88.2 and 176.4 KHz, but again it wasn't clear and seemed to apply only to a certain audio feature. i.e. Silent Streams.

I think it would be worth it for Mark75 to contact Intel support to get the answers. Although the device properties should show what is supported, so maybe after checking that.

wer

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2019, 10:36:32 pm »

That's interesting to know.  I hadn't heard that.  I'd been thinking of acquiring a NUC myself, but might have to reconsider.

Jmone has reviewed a lot of NUCs, and I don't recall him mentioning anything about audio problems.  If this thread gets his attention, maybe he will know for certain.  I would think he tested all the audio formats...

Edit:
It seems that Intel dropped support for some audio formats in the NUC drivers at some point, but apparently you can use an older driver version where the support was still in place.
The OP might want to look at this thread:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=114843.0

Mark75

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2019, 01:42:46 pm »

Maybe, maybe not.  24Hz and 23.976Hz are not the same thing.  Unfortunately, some equipment/software shows 23.976 as 24, which makes it difficult to distinguish.  When you are running this way, play a 23.976 movie (like a blu-ray) using RedOctober-HQ, and during playback, bring up the MadVR on-screen display.  Right at the top it will tell you the accurate display rate.

--> I've tested and it shows 23,976.

Your original description was unclear on one point:  I know you changed the receiver from Pioneer to Anthem, and that you changed from Windows 7 to Windows 10.  Did you actually change the PC hardware to the NUC, or just upgrade the OS?

If you still have the Pioneer, I'd plug it into the NUC and see if the problems go away.

--> I actually changed the hardware, that is, I bought a new NUC and a new AVR, the Anthem MRX720. I don't have the Pioneer anymore

This is significant.

First, the specs for your NUC say: "Support for 44.1 kHz/48kHz/96 kHz/192 kHz sample rates on all analog inputs".  There is no mention of support for 88.2 or 176.4.  Maybe that means the spec writer just didn't bother, or maybe those formats don't work.

--> Does the NUC have analog inputs? ? I've connected it via HDMI. Also, 44,1 doesn't either using WASAPI.

I looked at the specs for your receiver, and it only says it accepts "up to 192KHz".  It does not specifically say it supports 88.2 & 176.4KHz.

--> I would be very surprised if the Anthem didn't suppport 44,1 (that one also doesn't work with WASAPI), 88.2 & 176.4

I have a different sound card then you, but in my WASAPI bitdepth settings, other than Automatic, only 2 options work:
16-bit integer
24-bit integer in a 32-bit package

When trying to play 24bit files when set to 16-bit, MC plays them, but Audio Path warns the output bitdepth is insufficient.  This is undesirable.

I suggest you manually try setting to "24-bit integer in a 32-bit package", and see what you get.  I suspect that's what "Automatic" was selecting, based on the Audio Path output you listed before.

--> I've tried all options, only the last one partially works as mentioned in my previous post.

It sounds like everything works when using DirectSound, is that right?

--> Yep

DirectSound works because windows and the audio driver convert everything to something the sound card can handle when using direct sound.  You might have to use DirectSound, unless someone with more low-level knowledge about how MC interacts with WASAPI and the audio driver can think of something else.

Your other option would be to enable JRiver's sample rate conversion in the output format module.  Set your WASAPI bit depth for the setting that produces the most compatible results, and then use output format to convert the remaining sampling rates that won't play, 88.2 & 176.4  That might be what DirectSound is doing for you.  If your audio device isn't compatible with those formats, resampling as Jim suggested earlier is your only option.
--> In MC I've set 44,1 to 48, 88.2 to 96 & 176.4 to 192 following Jim's advice. That works under WASAPI

If the above suggestions don't bear fruit, your audio problem is starting to sound to me like an incompatibility between your NUC audio hardware/drivers and JRiver.  One of the users here, jmone, has done significant testing of NUCs with JRiver.  You might ask him about compatibility issues or necessary tweaks.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2019, 01:47:50 pm »

Here's how to quote text.

[ quote ]The question is here. [ /quote ]
and the answer goes here.

I added spaces above.  If they are removed, you get this:

The question is here.

wer

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2019, 03:04:59 pm »

Mark75, you're giving contradictory information.

First you said this:
it plays 16-44.11, 24-44.1, 24-48, 24-96, 24-192 under WASAPI. But not 24-88.2 & 24-176.4

Then you said this:
I've connected it via HDMI. Also, 44,1 doesn't either using WASAPI

Does 16-bit, 44.1KHz work under WASAPI, or not?

Because that's redbook audio.  There is no way either your receiver or the audio hardware in your NUC doesn't support it.  It's standard CD audio, and all hardware supports it.  Your Anthem definitely does support it.

If you've got things set so that you can't play 16-bit 44.1KHz audio under WASAPI, you've got corrupted or misconfigured drivers or some other software problem.  You should never have to resample that format.

Mark75

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2019, 03:34:39 pm »

Hi Wer,

what is said is this:
Bitdepth is set to automatic. When I switch it to 16bit integer, it plays 16-44.1, 24-44.1, 24-48, 24-96, 24-192  under WASAPI. But not 24-88.2 & 24-176.4.

So when bitdepth is set to automatic, I hear nothing playing 16-44.1.
When I set bitdepth to 16bit integer, it plays 16-44.1, 24-44.1, 24-48, 24-96, 24-192  under WASAPI. But not 24-88.2 & 24-176.4.

wer

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2019, 05:17:10 pm »

I suggest you take  a look at the other thread I referenced above and see if you can find older drivers for your NUC that still support the sampling rates properly.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2019, 07:32:35 pm »

Did you do this?
Do it now. Post an image showing the same information as the Advanced tab.

I can't quickly find any sensible information on what your Display Audio driver supports. But Windows will show you what formats are supported if you go to the Properties for the Display Audio device, select the Advanced tab, and click the drop dowwn list in the Default Format area. Something like this image:

I suggest you take  a look at the other thread I referenced above and see if you can find older drivers for your NUC that still support the sampling rates properly.

That may indeed be the only solution, but Windows may try to insist on a driver update. Microsoft is moving in that direction.

I honestly don't know what Intel is thinking by not supporting common audio formats in their driver. It defies belief.

wer

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2019, 08:35:35 pm »

As an aside, the information shown in the window referred to by Roderick is not always accurate.

For example, on my system, 24/176 is not listed as available for my AMD HDMI output on my Radeon card. But JRiver is happy to play that format via WASAPI without resampling, and my processor confirms it receives it.  The Windows control panel is sometimes just flat out wrong.  Not surprisingly, that can make diagnosis more complicated.

Things often don't behave the way they ought to in Windows audio, so the best test is always of course "Does it work?"  ;D

Roderick, your screenie does not list 24/192.  Does that work on your system anyway?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2019, 11:27:06 pm »

The image is not actually my system. I stole an image from the internet.  ;D

BTW, I've not seen an issue with using that properties display, when I am using WASAPI Exclusive mode, and have both Exclusive Mode settings selected in that dialogue. But I'm not using HDMI out at the moment, because my old Receiver doesn't support HDMI in. Plus I'm sitting at my Workstation and not my HTPC when I answer these questions. My workstation uses plain old Realtek audio.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2019, 11:51:32 pm »

Hi Fitbrit,
setting it to 5 seconds and display change set to custom works, but not when I set display change to automatic? Also it seems audio is not quite in sync with video. What are your thoughts on this? With my old Pioneer it was never necessary to set this delay.
Regards, Mark

On automatic, it's changing right away, and maybe not giving enough time to do the handshake. With custom and a specified delay there is time. The next step is trying to sync things with a fixed audio-video offset. Try 200 ms as a first approximation, but whether it's +200 or -200 will depend on your hardware I suspect. Then adjust as necessary. Also, adjust for the 120 Hz display setting too.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2019, 02:19:46 am »

For adjusting Lip Sync - have a look at this on the Wiki Page - even has test files to make it easy to dial it in.
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Lip_Sync

JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2019, 02:28:12 am »

The "Wait after change" is very very useful as some devices in the HTPC-->AVR-->Screen drops the HDMI link when changing the refresh rate and one of the side effects of this is if MC has started playing the audio device is not available and hence you get no sound.  Start at 0.5sec and keep increasing it till the issue of No Audio is fixed.
JRiver CEO Elect

wer

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2019, 02:32:49 am »

Ah, jmone!  Since you are here, and have tested so many NUCs, could you clue us in on the state of things with regard to outputting audio over HDMI from the NUCs?  Are there problems, is everything good at all sample rates, or what?

There seems to be conflicting info on this, and I was interested in getting a NUC myself.  I found an old thread that talks about Intel disabling some audio formats in more recent drivers...

What's your expert view?  Thanks!

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2019, 03:01:11 am »

I've seen odd stuff on Audio with the NUC at some point over the years (like only showing 16-Bit Audio options), but it just seems to work for me on all the reported supported formats for decoding (not bitstreaming) using MC (see pic).  I just tested all of these formats on a NUC all and they were fine.  My personal preference is:
- If you don't have more than 7.1 Speakers then don't use Bitstreaming.  This way you can use video clock and the audio is decoded by MC not your AVR etc.
- If you do have an speaker setup with more than 7.1 speakers then you have to use bitstreaming for ATMOS/DTS-X Content.  To complicate matters you can get a mix of Decoding and Bitstreaming based on the Media Type you are playing but it is not straight forward.  Ideally, It would be great if MC could identify if a sound track had ATMOS/DTS-X so you could use the Tools--> Options--> Audio--> Audio Device--> Settings--> Bitsreaming--> Custom and then just check "ATMOS / DTS-X" so you only bitstream these.... but MC uses FFProbe which at this stage can not differentiate between ATMOS and std TrueHD or DTS-X and DTS-HD.

So in summary, audio over HDMI on a NUC works fine, but I'd recommend:
- Don't use bitstreaming unless you have more the 7.1 speakers
- Turn on VideoClock
- Use "Display Settings automatic change mode = Custom" if you have a slow HDMI Sync when changing refresh rates and pick a Wait after change so you don't lose audio
- Use the test patterns from the Wiki to dial in the Lip Sync
= Good to go!

JRiver CEO Elect

wer

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2019, 03:21:38 am »

Awesome, thanks.  That screenshot looks like all the formats one would need.

Can you tell us what driver version you're using to get good results?

The OP here, Mark, is having problems with some sampling rates just not working on his NUC, and Roderick and I are thinking he has driver problems.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2019, 06:40:12 am »

My NUC is on 10.0.17134.1 dated 11/04/2018 for the Audio Driver FWIW.  Keep in mind that HDMI works by advertising what formats the whole chain supports.  Older AVR's did a poor job of doing this and sometimes you had to use a HDMI Override on the HTPC....or something like "HDMI Detective" to advertise and keep persistent the formats that could really be used.  I've not had to use such hacks for many many years however but I've upgraded all my AVR's since then.
JRiver CEO Elect

Mark75

• Recent member
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2019, 01:05:18 pm »

Here's how to quote text.

[ quote ]The question is here. [ /quote ]

I added spaces above.  If they are removed, you get this:

Thanks Jim,  I was struggling how to get this to work!
Mark

Mark75

• Recent member
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2019, 01:35:44 pm »

Hi all,

first, I would like to express my appreciation for all your effort in trying to help me!

Attached you will find a picture of the advanced tab. It shows all necessary formats are supported, including 44.1, and not mentioned in the tech specs, also 88.2 & 176.4.

For adjusting Lip Sync - have a look at this on the Wiki Page - even has test files to make it easy to dial it in.
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Lip_Sync
I will try this tomorrow, great tip!

So in summary, audio over HDMI on a NUC works fine, but I'd recommend:
- Don't use bitstreaming unless you have more the 7.1 speakers
Done

- Turn on VideoClock
Done

- Use "Display Settings automatic change mode = Custom" if you have a slow HDMI Sync when changing refresh rates and pick a Wait after change so you don't lose audio
Done, 2 secs works

- Use the test patterns from the Wiki to dial in the Lip Sync
Will try this tomorrow and report back!

As for the driver, for my Intel NUC8i5BEH the oldest "Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 for Intel® NUC" I found, is v24.20.100.6229 dated 9/26/2018. Can I use other drivers than this? I think I now have a DCH-driver installed, the latest version for the Intel Graphics Iris Plus 655 (v26.20.100.6912 dated 28-5-2019), and Intel recommends not to roll back from a DCH-driver (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000031275/graphics-drivers.html). Now, what to do? Reinstalling Windows 10 Pro to try another graphics driver is a bit drastic

wer

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2019, 01:42:23 pm »

If you don't want to mess with the drivers further, you can revert to using sampling rate conversion in the Output Format settings.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2019, 01:55:38 pm »

Having built about 40 Intel-based systems in the the last 15 months or so, specifically to run MC, I can say the following:
176 KHz over HDMI is supported by hardware, but not by Intel drivers. It used to be supported by the drivers about three years ago. But then they dropped support for it. For a while, we continued to run older drivers to get the 176 KHz support, but eventually the price one paid for using older drivers became too great. Now we upsample to 192 as a default. 88.2 is definitely supported.

I have direct experience with running Intel integrated video with the same Anthem receiver. It does need a long delay to do the HDMI handshake. OP might want to see whether a firmware update is available for the receiver, too.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2019, 05:59:24 pm »

To get on the same page I just updated the BIOS/OS/Drivers etc on my NUC to the latest.  I still have no issues playing any of the formats including 176KHz over HDMI.  Just works for me.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2019, 06:12:29 pm »

FYI - The Audio Driver is reporting as 18/03/2019 / 10.0.18362.1 and here is a screen shot of MC playing DSD sampled to 176KHz and playing over HDMI to a PIO AVR (I also checked the PIO's GUI and it reported it is receiving 176 as well).
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2019, 07:06:51 pm »

Thanks for the testing.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2019, 07:34:08 pm »

No probs - I'm thinking there will be some more rounds to get to the bottom of it however given the # of systems fitbrit as built!
JRiver CEO Elect

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2019, 10:22:35 pm »

It seems like audio over HDMI from an Intel iGPU can be summarised as: YMMV

But one thing of note is that;
Mark75 has Display Audio (10.27.0.4) 28 May 2019, which is a DCH driver packaged with Intel Graphics Iris Plus 655 (v26.20.100.6912)
Jmone you have the latest, but it is Display Audio (10.0.18362.1) 18 March 2019, but from which driver package?

So the drivers are different, and Mark75's is more recent based on the numbering. Perhaps some more clarification on the source update methods may help?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2019, 12:55:55 am »

So mine were the Non-DCH Drivers that were installed as a part of the 1803 --> 1903 Windows OS Upgrade.  Post the OS Upgrade I ran both Windows Update and the Intel Driver & Support Assistant till they said it was all updated.  This left the NUC on the following versions (according to Device Manager):
- Iris Graphics Plus 640 : v24.20.18362 dated 15/08/18
- Intel Display Audio : v10.0.18362.1 dated 18/03/19

I've now updated to the DCH Graphics Drivers from the standalone installer and now have (as per pic):
- Iris Graphics Plus 640 : v26.20.100.6912 dated 28/05/19
- Intel Display Audio : v10.0.18362.1 dated 18/03/19 (I think is is left over..... Need to check what driver it is using)
- Intel Display Audio : v10.27.0.4 dated 17/05/19

HDMI Audio is still just fine.
JRiver CEO Elect

Mark75

• Recent member
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2019, 02:03:32 am »

Having built about 40 Intel-based systems in the the last 15 months or so, specifically to run MC, I can say the following:
176 KHz over HDMI is supported by hardware, but not by Intel drivers. It used to be supported by the drivers about three years ago. But then they dropped support for it. For a while, we continued to run older drivers to get the 176 KHz support, but eventually the price one paid for using older drivers became too great. Now we upsample to 192 as a default. 88.2 is definitely supported.

I have direct experience with running Intel integrated video with the same Anthem receiver. It does need a long delay to do the HDMI handshake. OP might want to see whether a firmware update is available for the receiver, too.
Well, this confirms my previous findings & suspicions that is a driver issue.

I bought the Anthem three weeks ago, and the same day I updated the firmware to v1.4.0.95 which is the latest (https://www.anthemav.com/products-current/series=mrx-series-gen3/model=mrx-720/page=reviews)

Shorter than 2 seconds for 'Wait after change' doesn't work. Is that too long in your opinion? Also, I think this is the NUC to blame, not the Anthem.

Testing the audioformats on 'the advanced' tab:
* 16-44,1 does work, however I miss the first part of the test sound that goed to the first speaker. What causes this?
And strangely 16-44.1 does not work under WASAPI
* 24-88.2 & 24-176.4 do not work

Btw, what does OP stands for?

-Edit- Also 24-44.1 does not work when testing this format on the advanced tab.
But when I change WASAPI to Direct Sound and play a 16-44.1 file, it says this on audiopath:
input 16-44.1 ch flac
output 24-44.1 6ch using direct sound . And I DO have sound??

Mark75

• Recent member
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2019, 02:06:48 am »

So mine were the Non-DCH Drivers that were installed as a part of the 1803 --> 1903 Windows OS Upgrade.  Post the OS Upgrade I ran both Windows Update and the Intel Driver & Support Assistant till they said it was all updated.  This left the NUC on the following versions (according to Device Manager):
- Iris Graphics Plus 640 : v24.20.18362 dated 15/08/18
- Intel Display Audio : v10.0.18362.1 dated 18/03/19

I've now updated to the DCH Graphics Drivers from the standalone installer and now have (as per pic):
- Iris Graphics Plus 640 : v26.20.100.6912 dated 28/05/19
- Intel Display Audio : v10.0.18362.1 dated 18/03/19 (I think is is left over..... Need to check what driver it is using)
- Intel Display Audio : v10.27.0.4 dated 17/05/19

HDMI Audio is still just fine.

So, now we're on the same drivers and it works for you but not for me.... What could explain this? Difference in hardware?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2019, 06:20:46 am »

Shorter than 2 seconds for 'Wait after change' doesn't work. Is that too long in your opinion? Also, I think this is the NUC to blame, not the Anthem.
From what I have experienced it is the Monitor/TV/PJ attached to the AVR that causes HDMI wait to be extended.  I have no issues on PC Monitors or TV's but I have to add a 3 sec wait for the HTPC feeding a JVC PJ (and it is not a nuc but a high speced HPTC).[/quote]

Testing the audioformats on 'the advanced' tab:
* 16-44,1 does work, however I miss the first part of the test sound that goed to the first speaker. What causes this?
Just the time it takes to setup the link.  You will not notice this in real life just in the Windows Test thingie
And strangely 16-44.1 does not work under WASAPI
* 24-88.2 & 24-176.4 do not work
All these work for me.... but don't worry.  Pick one that does work for you and enjoy this music!

Btw, what does OP stands for?
Original Post

-Edit- Also 24-44.1 does not work when testing this format on the advanced tab.
But when I change WASAPI to Direct Sound and play a 16-44.1 file, it says this on audiopath:
input 16-44.1 ch flac
output 24-44.1 6ch using direct sound . And I DO have sound??
You want to use WASAPI where you can.
JRiver CEO Elect

Mark75

• Recent member
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2019, 06:56:51 am »

Hi jmone,

From what I have experienced it is the Monitor/TV/PJ attached to the AVR that causes HDMI wait to be extended.  I have no issues on PC Monitors or TV's but I have to add a 3 sec wait for the HTPC feeding a JVC PJ (and it is not a nuc but a high speced HPTC)
The one thing I did not change in my setup is my FHD Samsung TV. And when I had my previous Windows7 HTPC and Pioneer SC-LX76, I didn't have to set a wait for change. But then again, maybe the Pioneer was quicker in this.

Also, I didn't change the HDMI-cables. They're all Audioquest Forest which I bought somewhere around 2012-2013. I don't know which version, but I suspect 1.4. FHD played fine. Could this be an issue? Both the NUC and the Anthem have HDMI2.0a-ports.

Just the time it takes to setup the link.  You will not notice this in real life just in the Windows Test thingie
I wish, but sometimes I also miss the first part of the music playing.

You want to use WASAPI where you can.
What I wanted to point-out, is that Windows Test Thingie  :D gives me no sound when testing 24-44.1, but when I play a 16-44.1 flac under Direct Sound with MC, audiopath shows that the output is 24-44.1 and I DO have sound. And that's what struck me: why is that ?

But maybe you're right and maybe I shouldn't want to dive in too deep, pick something that works and enjoy the music, but I just can't stand it when things don't work like they should. Especially when things worked fine and all of a sudden it doesn't anymore.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up