INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Open Live" not working for DLNA output zone  (Read 448 times)

amargolis

• Junior Woodchuck
"Open Live" not working for DLNA output zone
« on: July 08, 2019, 01:40:26 pm »

My friend runs a PS Audio NPC phono preamp with USB output. He connects that to his computer and he's able to listen to his analog rig through JRiver this way. It works fine when listening through USB connected audio Zones by going to file>open live>ASIO. He has the PS Audio NPC selected as the device, and it plays back at 24/96 - sounds good.

However, he cannot get "live" content to play to his DLNA endpoint (exaSound PlayPoint). When the PlayPoint audio zone is selected, if he goes to file>Open Live>ASIO, it will "play" (without sound) for 5 seconds before displaying a "something went wrong with playback" error message. Local content from his MC library plays fine via DLNA to the PlayPoint - it is only "Live" content that will not play.

What settings should be checked to enable "Live" playback through a DLNA audio zone?

Thanks in advance.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: "Open Live" not working for DLNA output zone
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 02:42:56 pm »

I don't believe this is supported unfortunately

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 09:18:58 pm »

Yes, I was trying to get Wasapi loopback or WDM to play via DLNA today. Wasted several hours (well, not wasted per se as we learned a lot!) and the conclusion was that it isn't supported. A Google search confirmed that was the case 2 years ago (forum post), and hasn't changed. If it could be made to work, it would be a huge addition to the program.

amargolis

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 10:59:51 am »

Thank you both for your replies. Sorry to hear that, but, understood. Here's another 2 votes (one for me and one for my friend) for supporting loopback/live/wdm via DLNA.

Kudos to the JRiver software team for a great product and support.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 07:52:12 pm »

Here is why it "isn't supported".

As a general rule the UPNP /DLNA specification does require a Content-Length or Duration to be declared (in advance). This allows the Seek function to work. Some of the better renderers can also live with a missing Content-Length or Duration declaration, thus assuming that the “file” is of infinite (or at least indeterminate) length; which is tantamount to a “stream”; and may indeed be able to play them for an indefinite period. But even such renderers can behave in unexpected ways. (For example sending a Pause on an infinite length file, will cause a download buffer overflow if there is no matching Resume command sent within a reasonable time. And sending forwards Seek might send it into hyperspace a.k.a. crash the player. Etc. Etc.)

Maybe your Renderer could be set to accept streams without Content-Length or Duration declared. That may not be something available in settings for the Renderer though. I'm not sure if MC would work correctly with a "fixed" Renderer anyway. Something for you to investigate.

If you are interested, this post and the thread it is in might help further. A live stream and an internet radio stream would be handled by DLNA in a similar manner.
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,120713.msg835211.html#msg835211
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up