INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Imported folders show as number of tracks squared  (Read 2806 times)

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
Imported folders show as number of tracks squared
« on: July 09, 2019, 02:01:40 pm »

On a couple of occasions now, I have downloaded *.rar files for FLAC files.  These have been 7-(un)Zipped, yielding a FLAC image file which I proceed to edit into individual tracks using Audacity.  The Audacity files are then put back in the "home" folder for the album and show as 12 individual files as expected.

However, when these folders are then imported into JRMC25, the screen view shows the album tracks squared...e.g., 144 songs for 12 original tracks (12x#1, 12x#2, etc.).

I have identified the appropriate song titles for the album using Shazam and have then deleted the superfluous lines shown in MC.  In at least one case, even tho the first 12 files all had the same song title and track number, these 12 were actually all of the album tracks for which I then edited the tag information.

All looks hunky-dorry until I then copy this edited folder into my server where the edits are reversed and the tracks squared are again shown.

I have processed many other albums in the same way and imported them into MC without issue.

Would like to understand what is going on...

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
Re: Imported folders show as number of tracks squared?!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 06:52:02 am »

Anybody have thoughts on why imported folder results in original number of tracks being squared?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 07:13:31 am »

Are the files actually being imported over and over or are you just looking at a playlist that's squared?

Look at "Audio" in the tree and search for one of the filenames.  Is it in the library once or more?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 07:24:18 am »

also check the folders for things such as .cue files.

MC will import the full image, individual tracks as referenced in the cue files, individual tracks as saved by audacity...

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 12:24:26 pm »

Are the files actually being imported over and over or are you just looking at a playlist that's squared?

Look at "Audio" in the tree and search for one of the filenames.  Is it in the library once or more?

Thanks.

Have attached screenshot of MC after searching for "Riva Diva" on music server.  This is what shows up after copying over an edited file (which originally had 12 tracks but import has 144).

To <marko>'s query, I delete all cue files before using Audacity and importing into MC.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 12:27:23 pm »

I think MC is just importing the individual files inside your one big FLAC file.  If you look, the semi-colon means "file inside file" and the duration is what I would expect for individual tracks.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 01:08:01 pm »

I think MC is just importing the individual files inside your one big FLAC file.  If you look, the semi-colon means "file inside file" and the duration is what I would expect for individual tracks.

Thanks but do not understand. 

When I 7-(un)zip the download I do get a large flac file plus others, e.g.,  artwork, cover, cue files, etc.
Before using Audacity, I (most of the time) delete the files superfluous to my needs and then split the large file into tracks.  On a few occasions, I have gotten the # of tracks squared after importing into MC.

Considering what you observe with my screenshot, thoughts on how to prevent "files in files"?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 01:12:26 pm »

As an example, the file Z:\Rides, The Pierced Arrow JBFLAC\03 - Virtual World.flac has at least seven files inside of it.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
Re: Imported folders show as number of tracks squared
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 01:17:48 pm »

As an example, the file Z:\Rides, The Pierced Arrow JBFLAC\03 - Virtual World.flac has at least seven files inside of it.

OK, I see that.  What would cause that to happen and how to I keep it from happening?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 01:23:09 pm »

Well I assume the file is really long since we're looking at spans inside the file?

This is most common if you have a CUE file sitting next to the big file with links into it.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 01:29:25 pm »

Well I assume the file is really long since we're looking at spans inside the file?

This is most common if you have a CUE file sitting next to the big file with links into it.

Well, I guess I may just start from scratch, i.e., original download.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2019, 12:33:18 am »

@bigguy49, there 2 ways to rip CDs ... (1) as individual files per one song ... (2) as one big file containing all songs (think ppl use this way before to play rip CD gapeless ... as it was not so good long ago with individual files)

while ripping CDs one can generate CUE files ... it basically tells how many songs on CD, duration of each songd, and gaps between each songs

using CUE files you can burn exact copy if ripped CDs ... you also need CUE file to play one big file with all songs (so can skip to songs using CUE file)

... i rip CD as individual files ... but also generate CUE files and keep them in same folder ... MC generates one entry for each songs as CUE file matches my files

now CUE files are ANSI ... so cannot contain foreign characters (those will be shown as dots or question mark)

i modify my CUE to UTF-8 so can have foreign characters inside them (making my CUE incompatible with burning process ... but MC still read them) ... and i do not keep original ANSI CUE

what i noticed ... if i modify my CUE with some accidental errors ... depending on error, MC will reject CUE sheet ... or keep adding particular songs over and over every time i update librarary

look at your folder ... does it contain 2 CUE files (one ANSI compliant ... one with foreign language) ... MC will read both CUE and number of songs will double (not squared though)

can you attach all CUE files for one particular CD ... so can be sure your CUE files has no errors
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2019, 09:45:30 am »

Well that went over my head!
Could not REPLY WITH QUOTE, so this post does not contain 2 cue files (not attachable type) or 2 png files (less than 1200kb each and less than 1200kb total).
If you care to PM me, I will supply screenshots, cues, and unedited full flac.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2019, 04:47:15 pm »

Well that went over my head!
Could not REPLY WITH QUOTE, so this post does not contain 2 cue files (not attachable type) or 2 png files (less than 1200kb each and less than 1200kb total).
If you care to PM me, I will supply screenshots, cues, and unedited full flac.
you can attach cue file to the post as zip file ... i just one to see that nothing wrong with it
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2019, 05:34:01 pm »

you can attach cue file to the post as zip file ... i just one to see that nothing wrong with it

Never zipped a (small) file but will give it a shot.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2019, 05:37:00 pm »

Never zipped a (small) file but will give it a shot.

Attaching files seems to be working now?!  One for folder content after editing in Audacity, the other is MC screen after importing.

Hopefully these will be enlightening.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2019, 03:22:08 am »

Need to look at cue file ... reason to zip it ... this forum accept only images and zip as attachment ... think attaching cue file directly won’t work

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2019, 09:16:02 am »

Cue files attached...

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2019, 12:16:16 pm »

so there are indeed 2 cue files (one for WAV created by EAC … another with modification to file extension FLAC so MC reads it correctly) … obviously you want to keep both of them (I would have deleted original one lol)

try renaming [The Rides - Pierced Arrow (Deluxe Edition).cue] to something like [The Rides - Pierced Arrow (Deluxe Edition).cueW] … so as not to make it cue anymore and JRiver wont read it

remove what was imported incorrectly … and try importing again

PS. its funny sometimes MC will accept incorrect cue

FILE "The Rides - Pierced Arrow (Deluxe Edition).wav" WAVE … even though the actual file is FLAC

sometimes it will tell it fail to import that file

whats for sure … once MC reject .wav … rescanning will not accept it too

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2019, 01:33:50 pm »

so there are indeed 2 cue files (one for WAV created by EAC … another with modification to file extension FLAC so MC reads it correctly) … obviously you want to keep both of them (I would have deleted original one lol)

try renaming [The Rides - Pierced Arrow (Deluxe Edition).cue] to something like [The Rides - Pierced Arrow (Deluxe Edition).cueW] … so as not to make it cue anymore and JRiver wont read it

remove what was imported incorrectly … and try importing again

PS. its funny sometimes MC will accept incorrect cue

FILE "The Rides - Pierced Arrow (Deluxe Edition).wav" WAVE … even though the actual file is FLAC

sometimes it will tell it fail to import that file

OK, I...
1) Removed the messed up import from MC;
2) Put "cueW" as suggested and "flac.cue" back into folder with output flac track files from Audacity;
3) Imported album folder into MC and got 13 x 13 line items...so this attempt failed;

So, I (apparently) need a "Betty Crocker" procedure for processing the rar file after unzipping which contains the unbroken full flac file, cue files, artwork, etc.   This download file is described as (image + cue) but it is evident I do not know anything except how to spell "Q" !  :(
I normally just import the unsplit flac file into Audacity, edit to tracks, put back into original folder...without issue except in a couple of cases, this being one.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2019, 03:09:02 pm »

cue files look ok to me … strange … can you take screenshot of whats inside the folder

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2019, 05:30:59 pm »

cue files look ok to me … strange … can you take screenshot of whats inside the folder

Sure, see attached.  The aup file is project saved from Audacity.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2019, 11:34:56 am »

you reimported correct folder?

files you showed are in Download folder (where you change cue to cueW)

other screenshots show you importing from Z and C drives

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2019, 07:17:55 pm »

So, I (apparently) need a "Betty Crocker" procedure for processing the rar file after unzipping which contains the unbroken full flac file, cue files, artwork, etc.

From the start:
1. Download the RAR file into a location not monitored by MC Auto Import
2. Unzip file
3. Process into separate FLAC files with Audacity
4. Delete all Cue files.
5. Delete or archive the original RAR, as you wish. Archive means move it somewhere else.
6. Decide what you want to do with any artwork and cover files. Make sure they are named correctly if you want to use them, so that they match the naming of the new separate FLAC files. Move the Artwork and Cover files to their correct locations, based on your Cover Art settings. i.e. They may need to stay next to the FLAC files, or be put into the Cover Art Album folder. You could also just leave the Artwork and Cover files where they are, and then use the MC tools to add them to the Album after it has been imported.
7. As you have imported these files multiple times, MC may not import them again, as per settings. Make sure that the Auto Import setting "Ignore files previously removed from library" is not checked.
8. Move the new separate FLAC files to a location that is monitored by MC Auto Import. MC will import these files, and you will have only one copy of each track.

Of course, you have already done steps 1 to 3 above, except you may not have put the extracted files in a location not monitored by MC Auto Import. You should be able to use the above process description to work out what to do now.

MC can be told to import files that have been previously imported and then deleted, either using the setting above, or by deleting the record of them from the "Removed" database in MC.

MC will refuse to import files that have been found previously to be corrupt. But sometimes if you delete the record from the "Removed" database, MC will try again to import them. So if the files aren't really corrupt, they will be imported.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2019, 09:38:24 am »

Thanks RoderickGI. See my responses below...

From the start:
1. Download the RAR file into a location not monitored by MC Auto Import
I do NOT use AUTO IMPORT;
2. Unzip file
Use 7-Zip;
3. Process into separate FLAC files with Audacity
Have tried both before and after deleting CUE file(s);
4. Delete all Cue files.
Standard Practice;
5. Delete or archive the original RAR, as you wish. Archive means move it somewhere else.
Normally deleted but, if not, it is not in same folder;
6. Decide what you want to do with any artwork and cover files. Make sure they are named correctly if you want to use them, so that they match the naming of the new separate FLAC files. Move the Artwork and Cover files to their correct locations, based on your Cover Art settings. i.e. They may need to stay next to the FLAC files, or be put into the Cover Art Album folder. You could also just leave the Artwork and Cover files where they are, and then use the MC tools to add them to the Album after it has been imported.
FWIW, I keep artwork in album folder;
7. As you have imported these files multiple times, MC may not import them again, as per settings. Make sure that the Auto Import setting "Ignore files previously removed from library" is not checked.
I like to see what is happening with IMPORT, so I do album folder imports manually and one at a time;
8. Move the new separate FLAC files to a location that is monitored by MC Auto Import. MC will import these files, and you will have only one copy of each track.
I move the Audacity-generated track files to the album folder for MC import;
Of course, you have already done steps 1 to 3 above, except you may not have put the extracted files in a location not monitored by MC Auto Import. You should be able to use the above process description to work out what to do now.
For all intents and puroses, I am using your process for processing rar download files but still have an issue?!;

MC can be told to import files that have been previously imported and then deleted, either using the setting above, or by deleting the record of them from the "Removed" database in MC.

MC will refuse to import files that have been found previously to be corrupt. But sometimes if you delete the record from the "Removed" database, MC will try again to import them. So if the files aren't really corrupt, they will be imported.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2019, 10:05:54 am »

Here's how you can use quote tags.

[ quote ]
The text you want to quote goes here.
[ /quote ]
Your reply goes here.

Removing the spaces in the quote tags above, you will get this:

The text you want to quote goes here.
Your reply goes here.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2019, 02:05:50 pm »

i am confused ... i get it that originals come in one big file with CUE  (which looks fine to me)

so are you importing one big file with CUE ... or you splitting those to fies per track and then impirting those?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2019, 06:00:44 pm »

Based on your last response, I think you need to check the setting at;

"Options > Library & Folders > Auto-Import > Run auto import in background"

If that is turned on, then you should look at the settings under;

"Options > Library & Folders > Auto-Import > Configure auto-import"

You may not be using Auto Import deliberately, but I think it is still turned on, and it is monitoring the directory (probably from a higher-level parent directory) in which you put the original multi-track FLAC file and its CUE files.

There can be no other explanation if you are following the process I documented, and believe that you only imported the separated, individual track FLAC file.

The ";1", ';2" etc suffixes on the files shown in your images indicate that you have imported the large FLAC file and used the CUE file with it. The fact that you are getting 13 x13 (169) records in MC means that in fact, MC is seeing 13 FLAC files at some stage, next to a CUE file, and is importing each with a reference to the 13 files inside each. It actually looks like MC is seeing the 13 individual FLAC files you are creating, based on the size of the files being referenced, at some time during the process you are using, after you have split out the individual files out. Those are simply the facts that your images show.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2019, 11:53:59 pm »

Or it is looking in the Recycle Bin and finding files there. Make sure after you delete files you empty it or Shift-del.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2019, 08:44:11 am »

Based on your last response, I think you need to check the setting at;

"Options > Library & Folders > Auto-Import > Run auto import in background"

If that is turned on, then you should look at the settings under;

"Options > Library & Folders > Auto-Import > Configure auto-import"

You may not be using Auto Import deliberately, but I think it is still turned on, and it is monitoring the directory (probably from a higher-level parent directory) in which you put the original multi-track FLAC file and its CUE files.

There can be no other explanation if you are following the process I documented, and believe that you only imported the separated, individual track FLAC file.

The ";1", ';2" etc suffixes on the files shown in your images indicate that you have imported the large FLAC file and used the CUE file with it. The fact that you are getting 13 x13 (169) records in MC means that in fact, MC is seeing 13 FLAC files at some stage, next to a CUE file, and is importing each with a reference to the 13 files inside each. It actually looks like MC is seeing the 13 individual FLAC files you are creating, based on the size of the files being referenced, at some time during the process you are using, after you have split out the individual files out. Those are simply the facts that your images show.

At your recommendation, I did check on the AUTO IMPORT settings being used by MC on both of my PCs.  I did find that AUTO IMPORT was activated on both tho' I like to manually do any imports...did not realize that MC defaults to AUTO!

I deactivated AUTO on both systems and unchecked all of the option boxes.  I also found that it was best to use the 3rd option of DELETE, i.e., delete and remove from disc.  I also emptied the RECYCLE BIN as suggested by Scobie to be on safe side.

Happy to report that I am now able to import the folder in question on my work-a-day machine as well as copy it to the server PC.
Obviously, JRCM is way more powerful (and complicated) than I will ever need.

Thanks to all who contributed to resolution of this annoying issue.   :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up