INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Students' Price possible?  (Read 4174 times)

Feerix

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Students' Price possible?
« on: May 10, 2003, 07:27:21 am »

I begin to like MC a lot, but I'm a student with not much money.

Is there a plan to have special prices to students?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Students' PRice possible?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2003, 07:54:16 am »

Grasshopper are we not all students of life?

In the Shaolin temple, there are three kinds of men. Students, disciples, and masters. Development of the mind can be achieved only when the body has been disciplined. To accomplish this the ancients have taught us to imitate God's creatures. This is Shun. Master of the White Crane system. From the crane we learn grace and self control. The snake teaches us suppleness and rhythmic endurance. The praying mantis teaches us speed and patience. And from the tiger we learn tenacity and power. And from the dragon, we learn to ride the wind. Life sustains life. And all living creatures need nourishment. Yet, with wisdom, the body learns to sustain in ways that all may live. .The fire and passion of the winged dragon, there is no discord. Between the supple silence of the snake, and the eagle's claws, there is only harmony. As no two elements of nature are in conflict, so when we perceive the ways of nature we remove conflict within ourselves. And discover a harmony of body and mind, in accord with the flow of the universe. It may take half a lifetime to master one system.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

whoeveryouare

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2003, 10:53:18 am »

Well, I ate the crane and eagle for dinner, cut the snake to pieces, stomped on the praying mantis, shot the tiger and mounted its head on my wall, and don't ingest hallucinogenic drugs, so therefore do not believe in dragons.

And I've learned that nature is fun.

gkerber

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2003, 04:27:10 pm »

I'm just a guy who works for a living and pays his bills on time, and never went to college, so I never got a chance for all the student discounts.....

Of course it's not up to me about student discounts, but you know, since I work for a living and pay my bills and am not in debt, I never get any of the discounted goodies....  

whoeveryouare

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2003, 04:36:24 pm »

That's OK;  you can do what so many others do--register for one cheap night class at your local communitiy college, get the discounts you want, then cancel the class and get your refund for it.

I agree with your sentiment, even though I did go to college (and am about to suffer through two more years).  Student discounts make at least some sense for certain things (books, office software, maybe operating system software, etc.), but music software?  Hmmm...

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2003, 04:44:52 pm »

>> but music software?  Hmmm...
Funny

It's For Higher Education
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Feerix

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2003, 01:17:55 am »

It's just a question.

Most students I know don't have a lot of money and $40 isn't really cheap.

Certainly music software isn't educational but rather recreational.  However, even students need recreation, right? ;)

My younger sister didn't go to college/university and has much more money than I have.  She was so nice to give me an iPod :) I cannot afford such stuff and I'm always happy to find student discounts.

$20 for this fine piece of software and I get it.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re: Students' Price possible?
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2003, 02:27:29 am »

>> even students need recreation, right?
they did not have recreation when i was in school, or School buses.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2003, 07:11:05 am »

Take a lead from Microsoft (choke, cough), they have a student version of Office that goes for about half the normal price at Best Buy.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

gkerber

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2003, 07:41:45 am »

This discussion is turning political.... but I can't help it.

And of course, any decision on student discounts is not up to me.

I need recreaton too, and I want a BMW - can I get one at half price too?  I need it. I want it, so I should get 1/2 price right?

And isn't it better to ask for a 1/2 price discount, than to steal the car (ask for crack codes) since I am unwilling to pay for it?

(or get a part time job, or work more hours at an existing job, or give up some partying, or beer, or smokes, or a dinner or two  to pay for it while I'm still a student)

When I was in the Air Force and "poor" I wanted a motorcycle and a new stereo.  I got a part time job at a Radio Shack and earned the money for what I wanted.

sraymond

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2003, 08:02:11 am »

gkerber,

Shall we cut out the Senior Citizen discounts as well?  I mean, come on...  they could have saved more when they were younger!

Student pricing is a marketing angle or a charity...  you can argue its effectiveness, but the strategy is sound.

I'd guess there's a study by the RIAA somewhere that shows a significant portion of music pirates are school-aged.  Should the music industry offer a student discount?  Now that'd be interesting...  receiving half-price is better for the industry than theft.

Scott-

gkerber

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2003, 08:25:13 am »

But I really "need" a new BMW, and paying 1/2 price is better for the dealer, than if I steal it, isn't it?

(Every business should have the right to charge as they please, giving discounts as they please, whether as charity or as a marketing move.  However our laws don't really allow that, age discrimination is outlawed, but isn't it age discrimination against those <65 when senior citizen discounts are offered?  The law should be changed, but until then it should be enforced.  We make a mockery out of all laws when some are selectively enforced)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2003, 08:25:50 am »

Media Jukebox is only $24.95.

And Winamp is free.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2003, 08:34:42 am »

Doof,
Do you know of anything that will pay me for using it?

Jim

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2003, 09:30:36 am »

>> Winamp is free
Maybe but it also sucks

You Can't Run "Chart, Lyrics, Cover Art, Bios Finder.exe" on WinAmp  ;D

I Can Provide A Splash Screen And Pictures Of MC9 At 1\2 Price.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

sub-24

• World Citizen
  • It Happens
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2003, 09:48:05 am »

Ive just discovered that i'm deaf in one ear.

Any chance of my next MC upgrade for half price.

Actually ive also only got one eye so make that 25%

And a student so its now 12.5%

And i'm also retired 6.25%

Now thats a bargain.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2003, 10:24:11 am »

what did you say?

I can't hear
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Feerix

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2003, 10:45:55 am »

But I really "need" a new BMW, and paying 1/2 price is better for the dealer, than if I steal it, isn't it?

Difference is that you can calculate the manufacturing costs of a car per piece.  Software is developed once, so software prices are fantasy prices.

dbett

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2003, 10:53:55 am »

Difference is that you can calculate the manufacturing costs of a car per piece.  Software is developed once, so software prices are fantasy prices.

You're not an economics major I hope.   :P  ;)

gkerber

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2003, 11:08:58 am »

The cost of software development is the cost of the developers, designers, etc, and the cost of the building and equipment and heat and cooling and backups and .....

However, in the end, the asking price of an item, and the price that the public is willing to pay has nothing to do with the cost of production.  The public will pay X for a product, if a company can produce the product and make a reasonable profit selling at X it will be produced, otherwise it will not be produced.

We have the choice as consumers anytime to buy or not to buy.  We don't get to decide if the asking price is "reasonable" (which is up to the consumer) and then choose to "take" it if we don't think it's reasonable, we just don't buy it.  Simple economics.

And you know, I understand economics and never even went to college, and earn a living, and pay my bills and never got any special discounts "since I needed it".

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2003, 12:21:19 pm »

>> But I really "need" a new BMW, and paying 1/2 price is better for the dealer, than if I steal it, isn't it? <<

You can have it for half price... it's called a Ford or Chevy!
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

gkerber

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2003, 12:30:47 pm »

Or in this case, getting back to MC, it's called WinAmp (which is free).

Feerix

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2003, 12:37:54 pm »

;D

The differnece is, in software development the cost doesn't depend on how many copies you produce whereas as a car manufacture it *is* an important factor.  When buying software, you buy a license, you buy the right to use it.  You don't "own" software in respect of property.  You own a car when you buy it.

Actually, the cost is about the same if you "produce" software for 10 or for 1,000,000 consumers.  You certainly can't say so about cars :P

However, I don't major in economics.  I'd never do that, I hate it.  Never done it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up