INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 24-Bit Tagging  (Read 598 times)

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
24-Bit Tagging
« on: July 11, 2019, 08:33:08 am »

I realize that I have some 24-Bit recordings ripped in my library, but I'm not always aware of which ones they are. Is there a tag or field for this which will allow the user to sort albums by 24-Bit?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: 24-Bit Tagging
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 08:36:18 am »

Look at the "Bit Depth" column.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 08:39:40 am »

Yes, I tried that. They all show up as '16' even recordings that state '24-Bit' on the CD case.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 08:42:11 am »

If they're from a CD you ripped, you'll only get 16-bits.

You would need to copy extra files by hand for 24-bit.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 10:11:03 am »

Yes, I tried that. They all show up as '16' even recordings that state '24-Bit' on the CD case.

My guess is there is some weasel word "24 bit processing" type term on the CD. But the CD format itself is only 16 bits. The only way a 24 bit file could be on there is it is actually a data disk rather than a true CD, but that is highly unlikely.

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 12:14:25 pm »

Yes, I realize I get only 16 bits from a CD rip. And '24-Bit' may be a weasel word. I was just wondering if the fact that an album is supposedly 'mastered using 24-Bit' means that this process (valid or not) results in any differences to the way it is encoded in MC. Some people claim to notice a difference/enhancement in so-called 24-Bit mastered/remastered albums, (it may be that extra care was taken all around during recording; it may be that 24-Bit itself creates audible differences) but I am not interested in arguing sound differences in this post, just whether the encoding is different. So, in the end, can MC detect/indicate any difference in these files, irrespective of whether they sound any different?

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 01:43:01 pm »

I was just wondering if the fact that an album is supposedly 'mastered using 24-Bit' means that this process (valid or not) results in any differences to the way it is encoded in MC.
[...]
So, in the end, can MC detect/indicate any difference in these files, irrespective of whether they sound any different?

No, MC can not detect this because the technical attributes of the CD rip are identical:  16 bit word depth, 44.1kHz sampling rate.  As you said, the extra care, or particular process they used, might indeed make a recording that sounds better than another version without this kind of mastering or processing.  But from a technical point of view.... what MC can see... there is no difference.  Just like MC can't tell the difference between a REALLY excellent recording and a really poor one that both came from CD.  They both have the same technical attributes.

I would make a custom field in MC for this and note it by hand for each recording you are interested in.  In fact, I have this set up so I can tell where my recordings came from:  DVD-A rip, 24 bit digital download from (insert site here), etc.

Brian.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 06:28:55 pm »

One of the places you will possibly see some differences is in Dynamic Range, as a remastering process - 24 bit or not - is often done to address clipping, compression or "loudness" that may have been present in earlier releases. 24 bits gives the mastering engineer more headroom to work with which may enable this.

So in MC the 2 Dynamic Range fields - "Dynamic Range" and "Dynamic Range (R128)" may be different for 2 otherwise identical recordings where 1 has been remastered.
Pages: [1]   Go Up