INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lost some tag info  (Read 784 times)

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
Lost some tag info
« on: July 14, 2019, 04:30:07 am »

I have several external hard drives with music on them and in order to organize better, I took an empty external drive and copied the music files I wanted onto it.   I included the JRiver xml files as well.   

I then created a new "Concise Library" on JRiver and was surprised when some of the albums were missing the album art.   I had updated missing album art in the Main Library by cutting and pasting from the internet  I thought it would come over with the XML files......

I just tried again with only one file.   I went into the "MAIN" library and went to the file showing the album art correctly and did an update library from tags and re-copied the new XML files to the new "Concise" drive and overwrte the old ones.   But...same thing.  When I changed libraries in JRiver the album art was still missing.

I'm guessing the XML files can't be copied???   Or the album art isn't in the XML file?   What did I do wrong?   

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Lost some tag info
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 06:56:49 am »

Please read the Cover Art topic on the wiki.

The topic called Moving Files might also help.

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 07:26:17 am »

Album art is "special" and is not carried by the XML files.  Album art has several options, which I won't go through in detail.  Instead I'll refer you to the wiki article and discuss on in particular.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Cover_Art

The way I do it is to have MC store the cover art INSIDE the audio file.  For some modern file types, like FLAC for example, the art can be embedded right inside the music file.  So they can't ever be separated; they are one file!

This makes it quite easy for me when I migrate things from system to system, etc.  The MC options for this are at:

Tools > Options > File Location > Cover Art > Also store image in the file's tag > (Checked)

Once you set this option, any time you update cover art on a single file, it will be stored inside the file.  This means that you will want to do this on ALL of your files in batches in order to get the images inside the files.  Note that if you do backups that track the state of your files, this is going to trigger new backups on all of your music files.  In my opinion that's not a bad thing, but it's good to know, especially if you use a cloud based backup solution.

Good luck.

Brian.

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 06:34:56 am »

Well......

My first thought was Great!!  that's what I need to do....store the image in the tag

But when I went to check the box...it was already checked.

Must be some file types it doesn't work?   I've got quite an assortment.....ISO, FLAC, DFF, WAV, MP3, etc

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 07:25:59 am »

I'm not sure what types support embedded images and which don't.

But you should also set an option that makes sense for where to put the external images.  Some people like a central images folder.  I think it makes more sense to store the image next to the file with the album title as the file name.  You might want to examine your options to see how it is set now.

Brian.

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 07:34:00 am »

It is set for a central location now

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 08:52:57 am »

Hmm.  I'd really expect it to have followed in your "concise" library unless it is NOT using the same central location?

You might go into a few files with the Tag Action Window (click on file then Edit > Tag).  Look at the cover art section and find out where it is.  Do this for some that work and for some that don't.  That might give you some idea of why some work and some don't.

Good luck,

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 06:36:38 pm »

I forgot to mention something that might help.

MC has a function called Cover Art > Save cover to location specified in options

This will take whatever file or files you have highlighted and copy the cover art to the current setting of where cover art is supposed to go.  This is a way of standardizing where things are when you decide to change the cover art settings in MC.  So it can be used to copy your cover art from (for example) a central single folder, to all of the individual folders where your albums are.  Again, based on how it is set when you run the function.

I have a funny feeling that your libraries do not use the same central cover art location right now.  It's definitely something to check.

The information above might help you to get things into a consistent state once you figure out where some of your cover art has gone.

Good luck.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up