INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio delay through WDM driver? [Solved]  (Read 4475 times)

JRU

• Junior Woodchuck
Audio delay through WDM driver? [Solved]
« on: July 15, 2019, 12:12:16 pm »

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and thankfully had no issues with installing the WDM driver. While everything works fine in JRiver, anything else I play seems to have audio out of sync with video. The audio is a little behind the video. I tried SVP,stand alone MPC-HC,VLC and a few youtube videos and they all shared this problem. How can I fix this? If there is troubleshooting to be done please note simple steps as I am not that tech savvy. Thank you.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Audio delay through WDM driver?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 12:13:38 pm »

You could try reducing the audio buffering in Options > Audio for Media Center.  Picking a low-latency ASIO output would be even better.  My sound card actually lets you dial the latency in on a separate control panel page.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JRU

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 12:22:58 pm »

I do use the ASIO driver from what I can tell. I have attached a screenshot of the options listed in it. If it helps I use a RME HDSPe AES card. I wasn't sure which option you meant in Options>Audio.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 12:24:02 pm »

Try using less than 50 ms and don't use large hardware buffers.  Does that change help?

You could also look around on the RME settings page for latency.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 01:35:12 pm »

I use the WDM driver with Netflix and sync is pretty good. But since this is live playback, you have to be very careful not to introduce any latency (or as little as possible) in Media Centers DSP.

Reduce latency in the output driver (ASIO), avoid as much DSP processing in MC as possible, stuff like that. I even go as far as doing resampling in the Windows mixer, so that I don't get any latency from that in MC. If you do need/want to do resampling in MC, use SoX, as that has a lower latency overall.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JRU

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 03:03:54 am »

Tried using minimum hardware size and unchecked use large buffers but the problem still persists. I do not use the JRiver DSP, I use external DSP. I do not know what resampling is. If it helps I used to run JRiver 23 on Windows 7 with these exact settings and the same sound card but there wasn't an issue. I backed up the library before switching to 10 and then imported the library and settings into the Windows 10 install of JRiver 25 so I guess that the JRiver settings are not to blame? I did look at the RME settings page and have included screenshots. The settings here are what I used in Windows 7 without a problem.

JRU

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 05:19:49 am »

I think my problem has been solved. Thanks to Matt and Hendrik. I don't know what did it but I set pre buffering from 6 to 2 seconds, enabled use SoX for resampling (I have no idea what this means, I just did it since Hendrik mentioned it) and set live playback latency from 50 milliseconds to minimum. I need to test the sync a little more but it seems to be fixed. Can someone tell me what was causing it? I'd like to learn a little about the cause. Also as mentioned previously these were the settings on Windows 7 and JRiver 23 so why weren't these settings working on Windows 10? Thanks again to Matt and Hendrik for their insights.

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 06:56:43 pm »

Thanks Matt and Hendrick, your settings suggestions make the BBC Iplayer App completely usable with the WDM driver passing audio through MC with no delays - so good :)
English spiders are kind of small, but when I was living in the African rain forest well ......

Millennium

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2019, 10:07:50 am »

Thank you so much! I have pretty much resolved my lag issues with the WDM driver myself now, I think the change that did it was reducing from 4 to 2 seconds the prebuffering on JRiver options. I have 5ms buffering in JRiver options - audio device - device settings too.

It is possible to use the WDM Driver! For youtube and windows! Don't give up folks.

JRU

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Audio delay through WDM driver? [Solved]
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2020, 02:00:16 pm »

I was having this issue again when I uninstalled MC26 and the WDM uninstalled with it. I remembered this topic and came back here. However MC 27 already had the settings I was speaking of previously enabled. For anyone wondering it's under the Audio tab, live playback latency is under Advanced. I reverted all the settings to the recommended value and that made the sync better. I then put the previous values listed in this thread back in and it was back to working order. Just an update in case anyone else is having this issue. Maybe it should be pinned for everyone having latency issues? It works great for me, anyone having issues should try this!
Pages: [1]   Go Up