INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT-Star Downloader and Opera  (Read 1673 times)

zevele10

OT-Star Downloader and Opera
« on: May 11, 2003, 09:53:06 am »

Was a post not long ago about it ,but  cannot find it.
How do you set Start Downloader with Opera?

By this ,i DO NOT mean getting a page ' link takes by Star Downloader ,click Back to return to the page you been' or something like it.
I mean ,i click on a link and Start Downloader takes it  and i keep the page i'am on.

I ask about Star Downloader ,but i'am ready to use any download manager working as i wish with Opera...
But i really like Star Downloader and it is free

DocLotus

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Retired and; Loving It!!!
Re: OT-Star Downloader and Opera
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2003, 11:27:26 am »

Hi Zevele;

This worked for me...
* Bring up Star.
* Go to File, Option, Integration.
* Check the box... Enable Browser Integration.
* Select IE, NetScape or Opera (you can select both IE & Opera if you want).

Some observations about Downloader's.

* The current version of Star (v1.42) will not download MC9.  The download goes ok but when you try to install MC you will get an error.  The reason is that Star 1.42 has a problem with RAR file compression that MC uses.  I have notified Star about this problem & JRiver is also aware of it.

* I use Opera 7 downloader as it is very slick & well integrated (but see below).

* The default Opera 7 downloader may be what you are seeing.  It is not too handy as configured out of the box as you have to keep bouncing back & forth between the downloader tab & your web page tab.  But, there is a MUCH better way that may do exactly what you want.

* Try this.  Just before downloading files, click on the Hotlist icon in Opera.  This puts a window on the left of the screen.  Click on Transfers in the Hotlist window.  All your downloads will now show up on the left (complete with a bar chart for each download) & the right window will be you web page.

What's neat about this configuration is that you can keep an eye on all you in-progress downloads & at the same time browse the web in the right window.  Really neat!

* There is one thing I have had a problem with Opera 7 Downloader is when downloading many files at the same time some of them seem to stop before the download is completed.  Have you had this problem?  Any ideas how to fix it?

Thanks Doc

MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

zevele10

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2003, 11:59:55 am »

Do you mean i can put 500 songs to download in the Opera download manager and it will works?
I was sure that it cannot queue ,and download as soon as you put it in the download manager.

Concerning Star Downloader ,doing as you say ,i  have each time to click 'Back"

DocLotus

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2003, 03:06:01 pm »

The most I have tried at one time is around 50 files at once.  They were all downloading at the same time.  But, as I said before I have had some problems with all files completing the download with Opera.  The same files all downloaded with Star just fine.

As far as having to click back after each file with Star, I found if I minimize Star after the first download starts, the clicking back is no longer a problem on the remaining download selections.

TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

zevele10

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2003, 10:44:12 pm »

The problem you have can be because you are downloading to many files at once.
I'am rady to bet that Star Downloader is not set to make 50 downloads  at the same time.

Going to try your tip right now

DocLotus

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2003, 07:08:39 am »

You know, the funny thing is that I have Opera Preferences\Network\Max connection to a server & Max total connections both set to only 8 but the download manager will still download at one time all the files I can throw at it.

I'm beginning to think this only controls how many connections are made for browsing & may not effect downloading.

What do you think?

I'm going to do some more research on the Opera site concerning the download manager.
Pages: [1]   Go Up