INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Navigating TV channels in Theater View  (Read 1621 times)

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
Navigating TV channels in Theater View
« on: July 23, 2019, 04:38:18 pm »

I'd like to jump to a different channel by entering the channel# using my keyboard or the numeric keypad on my remote.

If the grid guide (EPG) is displaying, it would jump to that portion of the grid. For example, if the grid showed the channel rows from 1 to 20 and I wanted to go to channel 53, entering 53 would jump to that section on the grid.

If I am watching channel 5 and I want to switch to channel 48, entering 48 would change to that channel.

Is this possible?

Since you have a channel name to sort the grid rows, which might be different than the channel number, entering the number associated with the channel name doesn't work. I have customized all of my channel names and have grouped the same broadcasts from different sources (cable tv/ATSC OTA). Since our family was used to the old cable analog channel numbers, I disabled (hid) the SD channels and renamed the HD channel to use the familiar number. Our local NBC-HD is now channel 5, from HD channel number 615 and the OTA digital antenna channel is 15-1 (physical 19.1). So channel name 5 WMTV is hidden and channel name 615 WMTVHD is renamed 5 WMTVHD. '5 WMTVHD' is grouped with '15-1 WMTVNBC' since they are the same broadcast. This HD channel is now on the 5th row of my grid. I did this with all of the familiar SD channels because those were what we were familiar with after all those years before HD (I'm old). It would be great if I could navigate by entering the numbers from the name.

BTW, this is how it works with WMC, and so for WAF, it would be nice if JRiver MC could do this if we switch over. Long story, my Windows7 box died and I'm exploring other options, including abandoning WMC if a new box doesn't run Windows7.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Navigating TV channels in Theater View
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 06:55:49 pm »

I'd like to jump to a different channel by entering the channel# using my keyboard or the numeric keypad on my remote.

If the grid guide (EPG) is displaying, it would jump to that portion of the grid. For example, if the grid showed the channel rows from 1 to 20 and I wanted to go to channel 53, entering 53 would jump to that section on the grid.

If I am watching channel 5 and I want to switch to channel 48, entering 48 would change to that channel.

Is this possible?

Yes, works with JR MC just fine using standard WMC remote.
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 07:35:01 pm »

Since you have a channel name to sort the grid rows, which might be different than the channel number, entering the number associated with the channel name doesn't work.

Channels are displayed the way you sort them in MC. While I think the default sort in a new Library may be on name, you can change it as you wish in the setup. Mine aren't sorted by either number or name, but my own specific sort based on commonly used HD channels at the top, other channels below.

As TZR says, entering a number using either method jumps to the channel in the Guide, or if you are playing Live TV, jumps to the channel itself. If it isn't working for you, then you are doing something to break it. The channel renumbering you have done shouldn't break it, unless all you are doing is changing the name. Of course, if you have renumbered, you need to make sure your EPG still works... but that is a whole other topic.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 08:39:47 pm »

I must be doing something wrong. In Theater View mode, when I'm looking at the EPG the left-most column shows the channel name. Mine is a number, followed usually by the network name, except for the local channels, which in that case are the call letters (if that's what they're called). So, for example, I have 55 FXHD, 31 TBSHD, 5 WMTVHD (our local NBC affiliate). When I see the guide and it is at the top, the first row is 1 FXM. If I type in 55 and press Enter, the screen shows detailed information about the current program that's playing on 1 FXM. I haven't had a chance to test it with my WMC remote. I've only tried it with the keyboard on my laptop.

The left-most column in the 'Manage Channels' utility, shows the channel name. The column header says 'Channel'. And the items in the list below this column are my channel names. Actually, the header shows 'Channel (Custom)'. When I click on this header, the header changes to 'Channel (123 ABC). This is exactly what I want, so I pick the button labeled "Save Channel Order." After closing the Manage Channels utility and reopening, that header goes back to 'Channel (Custom)'. Does this indicate something is wrong with renumbering?

Here's a screen capture from the Manage Channels utility:

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 09:02:17 pm »

Don't press enter.

Just type the numbers and MC will respond. I suspect you are pressing enter before MC can respond, so it shows you the channel detail. I can duplicate that behaviour, although MC does also move to the correct channel, as seen once you move back to the Guide.

The cursor does need to be down in the body of the Guide, and not up on the menu. If on the menu MC will interpret numbers and their "mobile phone" letter equivalents. MC will move the cursor to the best match channel number, sort of. For example, I have no channel 7, so if I type 7, MC move to the first channel in the list that starts with 7, which is channel 70.

If you have WMC running on the same PC, disable it and all its services if you wish to test all MC functions. WMC can interfere with MC functions. TZR is a bit of an expert in that area, if further advice is needed.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 09:13:33 pm »

Something is strange on my system. When in theater view mode, the num lock function on my laptop doesn't seem to be working. By default, it is always on. When I run theater view it is off and then I have to press the num lock key. Once I do that, whatever number I enter appears briefly in the middle of the screen. Then it fades away without changing the list of channels. For example, with 1 FXM displayed at the top and the bottom-most channel name being 6.9 GRIT, after I type '55' with my keyboard, those numbers appear in the middle and then they fade away. The list does not jump to 55 FXHD. This is without pressing the Enter key. When I press the Enter key, the show details for whatever the cursor was on are displayed.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 10:02:32 pm »

The left-most column in the 'Manage Channels' utility, shows the channel name. The column header says 'Channel'. And the items in the list below this column are my channel names. Actually, the header shows 'Channel (Custom)'. When I click on this header, the header changes to 'Channel (123 ABC). This is exactly what I want, so I pick the button labeled "Save Channel Order." After closing the Manage Channels utility and reopening, that header goes back to 'Channel (Custom)'. Does this indicate something is wrong with renumbering?

When you open "Manage TV Channels", the custom ordering is always displayed, until you change it. After you clicked the button "Save Channel Order", you have set a new custom channel ordering.  In your case, therefore, custom ordering is equivalent to "123 ABC" ordering because that is what you saved.  You can make random changes in the ordering (instead of just clicking the "Channel" header, which gives you three modes), then save the order.

"Channel (123 ABC)" means sorting channels according to the channel name, but taking the channel number in front into account.  Basically this sorts by channel number.

Once you set this order as you custom order, it will be used in Theater view guide list, as well as in Standard view EPG.  Your screenshot shows that the ordering is correct ("1 FXM" first, followed by "2 BBC", and "2 HMTV" ...)
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 10:47:40 pm »

EDIT: Woops, I missed part of your post, or you updated it and added an image.

I was about to post what is below the line. Now I have looked at the image you posted, I can clearly see that you have changed the channel name, but not the channel number. For example, the new name you use for "615 WMTVHD is "5 WMTVHD", but you have not changed the channel number. It is still 615. If you used your keyboard or remote control to enter "615", I would bet that MC changed to that channel.

Also, I don't see any channel "55", or any channel starting with 55, so naturally MC isn't going to change to channel "55 FXHD". That channel isn't listed. So, 55 isn't a valid channel number.

Note that to change the Channel Number by doing a slow double-click (about half a second between clicks) or using the Channel Number field in the top right. Also, I see that your XMLTV IDs are still set correctly, so your EPG should work fine.

Yaobing explained the sorting stuff. Once you have selected "123 ABC" or any sorting option, you can then also fine tune the display order using "Move up/down", and then save that order. Hence my custom order.

-------------------------------------------
Check the setting "Options > Theatre View > Advanced > Turn off numlock on load". If checked, uncheck.

If 55 is a valid channel number, and not just part of the channel name, then MC should jump to the channel.

Go into "Options > Television > Channels > Manage Channels", select channel 55 and look at the two fields in the top right corner of the dialogue, "Name" and "Channel Number". Channel Number should say 55.

Also, your EPG data will have to have the same channel data set to 55, because that is what the Guide display is using, I think. I haven't looked at my TV setup to confirm.

Wait. Are you doing this on a MC Client, or on a standalone PC or a MC Server?

Because I just tested the keyboard method of changing channels, once Mc was playing Live TV, and it didn't work. MC didn't display the numbers as I typed them, or change channel. I can't test on my Client using a remote control, as it doesn't have one. I think it should work here. Yaobing, has something changed here?

Channel changes using the keyboard and remote control does work on my HTPC though.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2019, 08:22:49 am »

EDIT: Woops, I missed part of your post, or you updated it and added an image.

I was about to post what is below the line. Now I have looked at the image you posted, I can clearly see that you have changed the channel name, but not the channel number. For example, the new name you use for "615 WMTVHD is "5 WMTVHD", but you have not changed the channel number. It is still 615. If you used your keyboard or remote control to enter "615", I would bet that MC changed to that channel.

Also, I don't see any channel "55", or any channel starting with 55, so naturally MC isn't going to change to channel "55 FXHD". That channel isn't listed. So, 55 isn't a valid channel number.

Note that to change the Channel Number by doing a slow double-click (about half a second between clicks) or using the Channel Number field in the top right. Also, I see that your XMLTV IDs are still set correctly, so your EPG should work fine.

Yaobing explained the sorting stuff. Once you have selected "123 ABC" or any sorting option, you can then also fine tune the display order using "Move up/down", and then save that order. Hence my custom order.

-------------------------------------------
Check the setting "Options > Theatre View > Advanced > Turn off numlock on load". If checked, uncheck.

If 55 is a valid channel number, and not just part of the channel name, then MC should jump to the channel.

Go into "Options > Television > Channels > Manage Channels", select channel 55 and look at the two fields in the top right corner of the dialogue, "Name" and "Channel Number". Channel Number should say 55.

Also, your EPG data will have to have the same channel data set to 55, because that is what the Guide display is using, I think. I haven't looked at my TV setup to confirm.

Wait. Are you doing this on a MC Client, or on a standalone PC or a MC Server?

Because I just tested the keyboard method of changing channels, once Mc was playing Live TV, and it didn't work. MC didn't display the numbers as I typed them, or change channel. I can't test on my Client using a remote control, as it doesn't have one. I think it should work here. Yaobing, has something changed here?

Channel changes using the keyboard and remote control does work on my HTPC though.

My client computer has no remote control either.  I believe using keypad on the keyboard is equivalent.

I just tested on a client.  Here are my findings:

1. In Theater View Guide grid, entering a channel number DOES bring cell selection to the currently showing program of that channel.  So it works there.
2. While a channel is being watched (i.e. in Display View), pressing number keys has no effect.  Nothing happens as you have discovered.  I don't think this is due to any new changes.  It probably never worked.  When playing a TV channel on a client, using server tuner, we are basically using regular video playback engine to play a JTV file from the server.  I will have to do some special handling in order to get the TV functionality, such as channel changing with remote, to work.
3. While in Standard view EPG, with a particular channel selected in the channels box, (i.e. the channel box has the focus), pressing channel numbers sort of works, if the channel names have channel numbers in front.  This basically is a generic text searching, instead of any TV functionality.  You press the first few characters of a string, MC jumps to the best match.  This works the same way on a client as on the server. 

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2019, 10:38:56 am »

The problem with my setup is I don't use the channel numbers. I use channel names.

For WMTVHD which is on cable channel 615, I've changed the name to 5 WMTVHD. This is the local channel that was always on channel 5 and is very familiar to everyone in our home. I'd like to get to this channel by entering the number 5.

So you're saying the only way to navigate to 5 WMTVHD is to enter 615?

If so, then I'm better off not renaming these channels.

Thanks for everyone's help!

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2019, 11:07:27 am »

OK, so I finally figured this out.

First, I thought if I changed the channel number it would go to the wrong cable channel. I wanted the name '5 WMTVHD' to go to cable channel 615. What I didn't know was if I changed the channel number from 615 to 5, it would still play cable channel 615. So now all I have to do is change the channel numbers to match the numbers in the channel name. I edited a couple of channel numbers and tested it and it works as it should.

Second, thanks Yaobing for pointing out how to keep Theater View from turning off num lock.

Problems solved!

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2019, 03:11:55 pm »

You can set the channel number to 5, as long as no other channel uses the same number.
Pages: [1]   Go Up