INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC/Macbook crash and restart, logs attached  (Read 799 times)

Shanna

• Recent member
MC/Macbook crash and restart, logs attached
« on: July 26, 2019, 07:35:32 pm »

Hello!

Back in May my MacBook randomly restarted and gave me the "your computer restarted because of a problem" message. This was shortly after an OS update so I thought it was an Apple problem. It kept happening and over time I realized it was always while I had MC24 open.

I uninstalled MC24, installed MC25, and started a whole new library because I wasn't sure if my current library was corrupt. I didn't have a problem for a while. About a week ago I had another crash. Based on what I saw on the forum I turned on logging and copied Apple's crash message to a text file. I copied the log text too but I guess it was sent to a file and zip as well. Trying to give as much info as possible!

I have no idea how to look at these reports. Is there a way to figure out if there's a specific file, library issue, or other software interaction causing the crash?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC/Macbook crash and restart, logs attached
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 06:20:36 am »

The last file that MC read was:

/Users/shanna/SGS Color gDrive/Music SGS/Beirut/Beirut - Perth.mp3

That file may or may not be bad.  You could try moving it to a location where MC can't see it and running MC again for a while.  I'm not great at reading these logs.  This might have nothing to do with it at all. 
Good luck.

Brian.

Shanna

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2019, 07:57:44 am »

Thanks for looking Brian. It's worth a shot!

Shanna

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2019, 08:43:37 am »

Got a quick result. I removed the track by Beirut and started playing a playlist while I worked. It crashed again. Last song playing was by Lizzo. Attached new reports.

I used MC24 for several months without issue and I know there have been MacOS updates since the first crash I had in May. I'm not sure what to make of any of this.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 02:38:45 pm »

It looks like your MC database is on an external drive.  Something with "Color gDrive" in it's name.  You normally want the database on an internal drive.  This shouldn't matter if the drive is reliable and always attached.  It just stuck out to me as unusual.

You might try making a new database (Library) and then importing a database backup.  So roughly this procedure:

File > Library > Backup Library.  Make note of where the backup goes to. (Folder)
File > Library > Library Manager > Add Library > (Specify an unused folder on your internal drive.  Something like Documents/JRiver/Libraries/MC25) .
Now you will have an empty library with nothing showing.
Restore your library backup from above:  File > Library > Restore Library > (pick the file from the backup you just made)

Run with this fresh library for a little while and see if you get another crash or not.

That's the only thing I can think of, but I'm just one guy.  Maybe someone else has a good idea or two.

Brian.

Shanna

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 05:53:47 am »

Ah, didn't think to clarify this! That's just the folder on my mac hard drive that I have sync'd to my google drive account. I previously had the MC library in the documents folder but moved the files a few days ago. This laptop is from my employer and I wondered if it would make sense to have any personal program data in the google drive folder in case I needed to swap out machines in the future. The crash/restart problem pre-dates the library location change. =/

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 08:13:51 am »

My skills with reading logs are limited.  Hopefully someone else will have some ideas for you.

Good luck.

Brian.

Shanna

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 09:16:32 am »

Thank you so much for all your help Brian! Hopefully this will get sorted at some point.

Shanna

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 11:00:34 am »

Follow up for anyone else looking into a similar problem.

I spoke to my company IT dept and shared the logs. They think it's possible MC is clashing with our anti-malware software, Sophos. I'm not sure what would have changed since I used Media Center for about 3 months with no problems before the reboots started. It's possible there was an update that created a conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Up