INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Losing settings after update  (Read 546 times)

lightsout

• World Citizen
Losing settings after update
« on: July 29, 2019, 08:57:10 am »

Is this to be expected? I set some custom views for theater view, and noticed they disappeared. A few days later this happened again and I realized I had just done an update. Is this normal and would a backup before and after alleviate this issue?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Losing settings after update
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 09:15:35 am »

It's not normal.

Backup and restore should work.

Are you using MC in client/server mode?

lightsout

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 11:55:26 am »

It's not normal.

Backup and restore should work.

Are you using MC in client/server mode?
I am yes. This machine is a client, connected to my server. This machine only acts as a renderer as far as dlna goes. It doesn't share any library, if any of that matters.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 12:12:43 pm »

Make sure you're using authentication (login/password) on the server.  Otherwise changes on the client won't transfer to the server.

Some things need to be set on the server, not the client.

lightsout

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 12:44:59 pm »

Make sure you're using authentication (login/password) on the server.  Otherwise changes on the client won't transfer to the server.

Some things need to be set on the server, not the client.
I did recently add a login, but that was before this. I was assuming that theater views would be specific to the client and unrelated to the server.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 12:58:49 pm »

..I was assuming that theater views would be specific to the client and unrelated to the server.
Nope, some settings are client specific, but most of the view stuff is global, and set on the server.

lightsout

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 01:09:41 pm »

I am still having this issue. I set a new location in theater view under Audio. I want to be able to view the folder structure of the drive. Would be really nice if this was a default view.

Anyways I keep losing this setting. This machine doesn't even turn off, its just after closing JR when I come back its no longer there.

I then set it on the server, but this setting does not carry over to the client.

To be clear, my custom views in the library itself transfer from server to client. But I am talking specifically about Theater view. JRiver is an excellent piece of software but man it can be a pain to work with at times. Seems to be a fairly steep learning curve beyond the basics.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 02:17:49 pm »

Create the view on the server for Theater View, and then restart the software on the client.  If you have the server tray icon running on the client, be sure to exit completely out of JRiver MC. 

lightsout

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 02:43:12 pm »

Create the view on the server for Theater View, and then restart the software on the client.  If you have the server tray icon running on the client, be sure to exit completely out of JRiver MC.
I did that and it didn't initially appear on the client. Maybe I didn't wait long enough. But I just sat down at my desktop (a different client) and notice that it is there so that is good. Looks like it carried over. Thanks for the help. Slowly but surely I am figuring things out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up