INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging to File  (Read 514 times)

DONUSA

• Recent member
Tagging to File
« on: July 28, 2019, 09:50:02 am »

I have multiple PC's running MC.  They all share the same media files, which I keep in sync using DropBox.  If I am using one of the PC's and tag a file, I'd like that tag to also be seen by the other PC's.  By trial and error, it appears that a tag only changes the local library.  Is it possible to get MC to write the tag change to the file metadata so that the change propagates to the other copies of the file via DropBox? 

Alternatively, is it possible to put the library in DropBox too, so that it is in-sync across the various instances of MC?

I'm guessing I'm not the only one that wants to do this and someone has probably already figured out the best way. 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Tagging to File
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 09:51:12 am »

You need to have authentication set on the server so that you have to login from the clients.

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 10:07:22 am »

You probably want something more like a true client/server setup with MC, as Jim is pointing you towards, in order to have the most consistency because it's a single repository.

However, to answer your questions:

1.  To make MC write tags to files (that support the tags you want to write):  Tools > Options > General > Importing & Tagging > update tags when file info changes > (checked)

2.  To make sure that other MC instances re-read the tags of files that they already have in their library, whenever a change is made to them:
Tools > Options > Library & Folders > Configure auto import > Tasks > update for external changes > (checked)

Your use case is a little unusual, so you'll have to do some experimentation to see how well it works and what's required.  Good luck!

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 10:14:33 am »

Thanks for pointing out my error, Brian.

Don,
Here's a wiki  page on how to use MC to serve your media:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Server

DONUSA

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 09:59:47 pm »

Thanks for the prompt reply.  Actually, I don't want a C/S setup.   This would require the server to be running and files to be transferred across the network when I am using MC.  I just want instances of MC on multiple devices to stay in sync.  If I make a change on one device the change happens on all devices.  With cloud services like DropBox, I'd think this would be more common.  Countless applications now work this way using cloud sync built into the app itself. 

If I am at home on my HTPC, my experience with MC could be the same as when I am traveling with my laptop not connected to any network.  For example, if I change the sub-media type on the HTPC to change where I would find a file in TheaterView.  When I open my laptop later, that is where I want to see the file. 

My media files are all in a DropBox folder and the local copy of that folder is what all instances of MC are using.   If I add a file on one PC it shows up a few seconds later on the other PC.  If I change a tag on one PC, the change does NOT show up on the other PC.  I had all my instances set up per your step 1 & 2.  The media files are identical on both PCs. 

I have to conclude that the tag is NOT actually being written to the media file. Seems to be written to a Sidecar only.  DropBox notifies me of the Sidecar file changes -- sometimes.  But, the second PC does not seem to notice the change.  It still shows the same tags, regardless.  I even tried the Tools>Library Tools>Update Tags from Library on PC1 and then Tools>Library Tools>Update Library from Tags on PC2.  The tag does not change on PC2.   Is this a bug, because it does not seem to be doing what it says it is doing. 

If this is a design limitation with MC, my idea is to put the library in the DropBox folder also.  Is it possible to move the Library away from its default path and tell each MC instance where to find it at startup?  This way, DropBox can keep the Library in sync and all MC instances will use the identical copy.

Thanks for your help.  I only have a few days left in my trial and I am hoping MC will work for me.  If not, maybe in a future version you will consider cloud sync as a feature.   

UPDATE: I went ahead and experimented with creating another library and putting it in a DropBox folder.  Then I also switched the second PC to use the same library.  Seems to work so far. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up