INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver on WD. My Cloud  (Read 1237 times)

scol78

• Junior Woodchuck
JRiver on WD. My Cloud
« on: July 29, 2019, 03:35:45 pm »

I currently run jriver on a MacMini with usb connected 2TB HD full of FLAC files.This setup is in a spare bedroom and the end point Cambridge 851N is downstairs with wired ethernet controlled by a small iPad as remote.
I have got hold of a WD 4TB My Cloud and was wondering if I could connect this downstairs near the hifi via a ethernet switch and put my music files on the drive and also the jriver software on it and still control it with the iPad.

So rather than have to keep the Mac mini on upstairs with connected USB HD ,I could just use the Mycloud for everything and just have this switched on.
Is this possible ?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRiver on WD. My Cloud
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 05:25:25 pm »

You can't put JRiver on the drive, but you could put an Id in front of it.

https://jriver.com/Id/

scol78

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 01:30:51 pm »

Isn't that the same as my set up now, mac mini and connected HD.
i was just trying to get one single unit but i need at least 3TB

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 02:15:51 pm »

JRiver MC needs some kind of computer to run on.  A Mac mini, a windows box, or a Linux box.  Your WD Mycloud has a tiny little bit of computer in it, but MC won't run on it.  So it's just a networked hard drive for this purpose.  You could use a tiny little linux box for this, like a Raspberry Pi.  But that requires quite a bit of effort to do it yourself.

The Id that Jim mentioned in a raspberry pi distribution that JRiver makes.  It is supposed to do everything for you.  Just plug the card into the Raspberry Pi and configure it.  I have never used one and have only read some forum stuff about them.  I'm not sure how much effort is involved in setting up a JRiver Id.

If the mini works for you, I would keep using it so you don't have to re-engineer anything.  Unless you are looking for something different that your current setup doesn't do.  Or you otherwise want to switch things around.

Brian.

scol78

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 03:40:46 pm »

Thankyou for all your help
Pages: [1]   Go Up