INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with Soundblaster AE-9 and 384 kHz (24/32) bit (Windows x86/x64)  (Read 1438 times)

enb141

• Junior Woodchuck

Hi, I was trying to use JRiver 25.0.88 x64, I also tested an old version x86 and with both when I select in Control Panel -> Sound -> Speakers Properties -> Advanced -> Default Format
(24 bit, 384000 Hz) or
(32 bit, 384000 Hz)

Then if I choose in JRiver [Direct Sound], it doesn't play any music (mp3, etc).  Stop button works but after about 3 seconds, if I go back again and choose 192000 Hz (24bit or 32 bit) then it works, I have latest drivers for Sound Blaster and I'm running Windows 10 x64 1809 with latest updates.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

In Windows Control Panel > Sounds, try the test to see if you get sound there.

Hendrik

• Administrator

DirectSound has some issues with rates over 192000, I would not recommend that combination. If you want such high rates, try using WASAPI.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

enb141

• Junior Woodchuck

In Windows Control Panel > Sounds, try the test to see if you get sound there.

I did and I got sound when I choose those settings, tried Skype for example.

DirectSound has some issues with rates over 192000, I would not recommend that combination. If you want such high rates, try using WASAPI.

I didn't know Direct Sound has those issues.

The only problem that I see (correct me if I'm wrong) is that when I use WASAPI it takes an exclusive of the sound card so I cannot hear sounds from other apps.

Hendrik

• Administrator

That is correct. But if you want to actually make use of high sample rates like that, that is the way to do it. Otherwise all audio goes through the Windows mixer, which is just not very good at such high rates (or possibly ever, as some people would argue).
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

enb141

• Junior Woodchuck

That is correct. But if you want to actually make use of high sample rates like that, that is the way to do it. Otherwise all audio goes through the Windows mixer, which is just not very good at such high rates (or possibly ever, as some people would argue).

Actually I was using ASIO DSD and sounds amazing, it's a shame that both ASIO and WASAPI takes exclusiveness of the sound card, so what to do in those cases? have a second sound card?

Hendrik

• Administrator

Most people see it as quite an advantage that your music is not disrupted by pesky windows sounds. :)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

enb141

• Junior Woodchuck

Most people see it as quite an advantage that your music is not disrupted by pesky windows sounds. :)

So I'm in the dark side of the moon :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up