INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playlist Ratings Changed - Library Restore Shows Old/Correct Ratings for 2 Secon  (Read 789 times)

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen

I noticed this afternoon that around fifty song ratings had disappeared from the current playlist.  I restored the backup library from a couple days ago and saw the ratings come back for about two seconds and then they "updated" to the current inaccurate ones.  So, I tried cleaning all cookies, uninstalled JR25 and reinstalled and then restored the backup library I know is correct and I still cannot get back the song ratings I worked on so hard for the last month. 

After reviewing the files in the JRiver Audio, Files view I can see that the ratings of files I know had been changed are gone in that view.  Even the playlists those songs were in are not listed anymore.  I don't really understand how "tags" work in the Windows OS.  JRiver makes changes to the tags, but, is that info actually part of the each songs file attributes?  In looking at some song files that lost their ratings, Windows did not show a Previous Version of that file.  Obviously, I am confused and only technical to a point and how tags and files work is beyond my current understanding.  I couldn't find anything on the JRiver wiki about this subject. 

I would really appreciate some help and feedback on this even if it is sorry bud, you are SOL.   Being SOL would be a real bummer - I've spent 60-80 hours listening to songs and curating the ratings which is lots to lose.   I'm hoping there is some soft setting in JRiver that needs to be changed when restoring a backup library that will allow me to get back those ratings. 

And, if backing up the library does not protect me from losing those ratings, what kind of backup will?   I would like to protect those changes somehow without relying on a full computer mirrored backup for it.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Before you restore your library, first go into the auto-import settings and disable the option to "Update for external changes." Then perform the restore.

blgentry

I can't be sure what's going on based on your description.  But I have a good guess.  I think something has updated all of your files and removed (or changed) the Rating field inside the file.  So, when MC opens it re-reads all of your files to see if they have been changed.  Then, if the option is set, it imports any changed fields.  In this case, removing your Rating.

To test this, just turn off the option to re-read tags in already imported files:

Tools > Options > Library & Folders > configure auto import > tasks > Update for external changes > (uncheck)

Now that this option is un-set, restore your library backup again.  But ONLY restore the files and fields.  Don't restore Settings because that will overwrite the setting you just changed.

If this fixes it, wonderful.  If not, we'll have to do some more diagnosis.

Good luck.

(Edit:  Looks like BryanC beat me to it!  But I'm keeping my reply here because it contains a bit of extra information.)

Brian.

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen

I can't be sure what's going on based on your description.  But I have a good guess.  I think something has updated all of your files and removed (or changed) the Rating field inside the file.  So, when MC opens it re-reads all of your files to see if they have been changed.  Then, if the option is set, it imports any changed fields.  In this case, removing your Rating.

To test this, just turn off the option to re-read tags in already imported files:

Tools > Options > Library & Folders > configure auto import > tasks > Update for external changes > (uncheck)

Now that this option is un-set, restore your library backup again.  But ONLY restore the files and fields.  Don't restore Settings because that will overwrite the setting you just changed.

If this fixes it, wonderful.  If not, we'll have to do some more diagnosis.

Good luck.

(Edit:  Looks like BryanC beat me to it!  But I'm keeping my reply here because it contains a bit of extra information.)

Brian.
I tried this and restored the library, everything looked fine for a few seconds, I was getting very happy,  and then all of sudden the ratings disappeared again.  Unchecking the "Update for external changes" seemed to make a difference in how long it took for the ratings to disappear, but then some other action erased them again. 

Any more ideas?   

blgentry

Double check the update for external changes setting.  Make sure it didn't get changed back to checked.

This is the only obvious thing that's coming to mind right now.

Brian.

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen

Double check the update for external changes setting.  Make sure it didn't get changed back to checked.

This is the only obvious thing that's coming to mind right now.

Brian.
The "update for external changes setting" does keep getting changed back!   I have tried now three times being very careful to save settings on the way out after unchecking the box.  And, it seems to work in that I can see the old rating now for almost 10 seconds (didn't actually time it) before something comes in and changes them again.  And, I can go back into that setting before doing the library restore and it is unchecked.  But, after I do the library restore, JRiver restarts and some other default setting is rechecking the box after the program reboot

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Set it on the server, not on a client.

blgentry

I think this is because of the Library Restore you are doing.  When you do the library restore you should see a dialog box that asks you to choose the file to restore from.  Look at the lower half of that dialog where it says "Options".  You should see two check boxes there.  One for Library and Playlists, and another for Settings.  Uncheck the Settings one.  That way all of your settings from *right now* will be preserved.  Otherwise MC will overwrite them with all of your old settings from the Backup file.  That's probably it.

Make sure to check the setting immediately after the restore to make sure it stayed unchecked as you want.

Good luck.

Brian.

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen

I think this is because of the Library Restore you are doing.  When you do the library restore you should see a dialog box that asks you to choose the file to restore from.  Look at the lower half of that dialog where it says "Options".  You should see two check boxes there.  One for Library and Playlists, and another for Settings.  Uncheck the Settings one.  That way all of your settings from *right now* will be preserved.  Otherwise MC will overwrite them with all of your old settings from the Backup file.  That's probably it.

Make sure to check the setting immediately after the restore to make sure it stayed unchecked as you want.

Good luck.

Brian.
You, Sir, are a lifesaver! Thanks so much for going back and forth on this.  I really cannot thank you enough.  Mucho Gracias, Many Thanks, Merci, Much Gratitude.   

blgentry

I'm so happy it worked for you.  :)

Take care,

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up