INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestion for excluding Folders with an exclude file  (Read 2010 times)

enb141

• Junior Woodchuck
Suggestion for excluding Folders with an exclude file
« on: August 05, 2019, 03:51:15 am »

Hi, I'm very satisfied with JRiver Media Center, one of the petitions/suggestions that I have is a way to exclude folders, for example my music is located at D:\Music so I have some times music that is in both mp3 and also on flac, the reason is because I use mp3 for my cellphone for space savings and flac, sacd, etc for my desktop experience so I got the idea to add a simple file called exclude.jriver and that's it if JRiver finds that file doesn't scans or include that folder.

If this already exists just let me know what's the name of the file to exclude those folders

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Suggestion for excluding Folders with an exclude file
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 06:55:05 am »

You can exclude folders when you set up auto import.

enb141

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 07:58:23 pm »

I know it can, but unfortunately it seems to be a very slow way to exclude folders one by one using that option, adding an exclude file seems to be a faster way.

Just my two cents.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 09:27:26 pm »

The forum works much better if you describe a problem you are having and how to reproduce it, rather than suggest a solution to a problem you haven't defined.

Why is it slow to add folder exclusions?
Are you trying to exclude a whole lot of folders? Why?
What is your motivation for excluding files? Why are you doing it?
What folder structure are you using that requires excluding folders?

You get the idea. Don't propose solutions without describing the problem.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

enb141

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 10:56:09 pm »

Ok, I'm going with more details about why I think this is going to be a better to add an excluding file for each folder than adding each folder to the Auto-Import.

Here is the tree list of folders

D:\Music
D:\Music\Michael Jackson\Thriller (MP3)
D:\Music\Michael Jackson\Thriller (CD)
D:\Music\Michael Jackson\Thriller (SACD)
D:\Music\Michael Jackson\Bad (MP3)
D:\Music\Michael Jackson\Bad (CD)
D:\Music\Michael Jackson\Dangerous (MP3)
D:\Music\Michael Jackson\Dangerous (CD)

For example if I have to exclude all (mp3) folders, I have to add each one manually, so I have to to go D:\Music
then
D:\Michael Jackson
then
D:\Music\Michael Jackson\Thriller (MP3)

after that

then
then
D:\Music\Michael Jackson\Bad (MP3)

after that

then
then
D:\Music\Michael Jackson\Dangerous (MP3)

And so on, the problem is that Browse button every time you wanna add a folder you have to scroll all over from Desktop to your last checked folder, in other words it doesn't returns the scroll to your last selected folder.

The second option is to add the folder directly to the Folder text box but doing it that way means that you have to use Windows Explorer then go to JRiver for each folder.

I'm trying to find where is located and which configuration file has the exclusion list of folders to see if adding the folders there is a faster way.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 12:54:43 am »

you can exclude all mp3 files from scanning

... but i would have organized differently

d:\music\    for original files to be scanned by jriver
d:\music_mp3\    for mp3 for handhelds
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

enb141

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 01:23:33 am »

The problem is that I have some albums that are only mp3 so if I do that all mp3 files will be gone, I just want to add the highest quality files from each album, I keep mp3 for my cellphone to save space but in my PC I want the highest quality possible.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 01:57:59 am »

I think tij has shared the best idea. It is also the simplest and requires the least ongoing work.

When you use MC there is no need for all Michael Jackson music to be under the one directory as you have. The Library doesn't care where the files are. It will show all imported files as per tags anyway.

Just use MC RM&CF function to move the cellphone mp3 copies to another directory.
Or delete the mp3's that are only used for your cellphone, and use the MC Handheld Sync functionality for your cellphone, converting to mp3 format as part of the process. MC will keep a cache of converted files if you allow it, so only new music transferred to your cellphone would need to be converted on the fly.

Your solution requires copying a special file into every Album directory that you don't want MC to import, so it requires a bit of work. Much, much easier to keep cellphone only mp3's under a different top-level directory which isn't imported. That would also mean no duplicates under the D:\Music directory tree, as all the duplicates for cellphone use are under the other top-level directory.

Yours isn't all that clean a solution either. What happens if a directory has been imported, and then you add the file, for example? What about if you delete that special file?

Or you could just import everything and use Stacks to hide the duplicate mp3 files. You have a duplicate Thriller Album in CD and SACD quality, so you should be aware of and possibly using Stacks already. Stacks will mean that you always play the highest quality files that you have, if you put them on top of the Stack.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2019, 02:07:19 am »

you can exclude all mp3 files from scanning

... but i would have organized differently

d:\music\    for original files to be scanned by jriver
d:\music_mp3\    for mp3 for handhelds

I do exactly this and and it works well. All the music I want JRiver to import is in flac, and I have a separate folder structure on the NAS for mp3 for the iPhone. So I only import the folder with the flac files, and as an added precaution filter out mp3 or other lossy files from being imported.

enb141

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2019, 12:21:52 am »

Another problem is that when you format or you have to install again JRiver, you will loss all those one by one exceptions.  So to me seems a straight forward way to add just an exception file for each folder.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2019, 01:34:37 am »

You have decided on a solution and you are just going to stick to it, aren't you? It doesn't matter that you have been given alternative solutions that work, you are just going to keep asking for the one you have decided upon.

Well, I don't work for JRiver, so I can't say that they won't do it. But only Jim has responded, and he gave his view on a solution. Your solution just isn't the sort of thing that I have seen JRiver use. It's a kludge.

You also haven't commented on the best solution offered. which gets around your concern of how slow the process is. Plus you only just joined the forum and almost immediately started asking for this solution. Have you just starting using MC? If so, then why not learn from experienced users, rather than offer kludge solutions to perceived shortcomings?

BTW, a simple MC Library Backup and Restore after reinstallation will retain all those one by one exceptions, if you were silly enough to use that method. Nothing would be lost.

enb141

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2019, 02:04:12 am »

I'm not saying that I don't want to use other alternatives, I'm have my concerns about what's gonna happen when:

- I install it on another computer
- I reinstall the operating system

To my if I had the full route of the file in which JRiver stores this information maybe I can create a script that fully loads the exceptions there but I don't know where is that file located, same about doing a backup, I don't know how, where and which files to save.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2019, 03:26:30 am »

I'm not saying that I don't want to use other alternatives, I'm have my concerns about what's gonna happen when:

- I install it on another computer
- I reinstall the operating system

Answered.
BTW, a simple MC Library Backup and Restore after reinstallation will retain all those one by one exceptions, if you were silly enough to use that method. Nothing would be lost.

Naturally, you would have to save a copy of the Library Backup if you are going to reinstall the operating system. Or you could just tell MC to save backups on a disk other than the OS disk. It's a setting: "Options > File Location > Program Files > Library Backups". But of course you have a full PC backup system running, don't you, so that would always contain a copy of your Library Backups?

You can copy a Library Backup zip file to another PC and Restore it to another copy of MC there. Remember, Library Backups don't include the media files. Just the indexing of all media files, and MC settings.

To my if I had the full route of the file in which JRiver stores this information maybe I can create a script that fully loads the exceptions there but I don't know where is that file located,

This way be Dragons! MC Library files aren't editable. There are some tools that you can use to load some data into the Library, but I doubt they include mass loading Auto Import settings. I haven't checked. But don't bother, as this isn't the way to go on this issue. You may have some programming skills, but you would be 100% on your own if you start scripting direct updates into the MC Library.

Bottom line: Your method is a bad idea. You only need it because the file structure you use creates a problem. Fix the cause, as above, move the duplicate mp3 files out of the main directory structure, to a separate top-level directory. Then don't include that top-level directory in Auto Import. Simple.

same about doing a backup, I don't know how, where and which files to save.

Well you have only been using MC for about four days, right? So it's not surprising you haven't learned everything about it yet.

MC automatically creates backups regularly. You can also create them manually.  https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Backup

enb141

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2019, 05:33:45 am »

I appreciate your help, I just was trying to see if "my method" was possible, but apparently is not.

blgentry

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2019, 09:17:59 am »

I actually think EXCLUDE statements with globbing would be a good idea.  This is the second person in a month that has pursued this as a solution to a real problem they have.  By "globbing" I mean wild card characters, or essentially the ability to exclude based on a substring.  Like "/MP3/" for example.

I fully recognize that the alternative solutions offered here would work.  The down side is that the customer has to change their existing structure and workflow.  JRiver MC is the KING of flexibility for the most part.  It's a natural desire to have exclude statements as well as include, to provide more flexibility.

As the saying goes "I do not have a dog in this fight."  I don't need this capability, nor do I think I ever will.  But I think it's a good idea and wanted to express why it is a good idea.

Thanks,

Brian.

enb141

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2019, 10:25:53 am »

Thanks, I appreciate that I'm not alone in this world  :)

wer

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2019, 01:31:56 am »

I agree with Brian.

Castius

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2019, 01:54:27 am »

I agree with everyone. Plus make backups.
😆

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2019, 04:14:31 pm »

You can in MC set up views which display only certain file types as in the attached snippet. I use this to play music to different streaming devices on my system dependent upon their capabilities some are DSD capable while others are not and my tv's insist on mp3s.
English spiders are kind of small, but when I was living in the African rain forest well ......

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2019, 06:17:05 pm »

That was going to be my comment. Regardless whether they should modify the import system with more robust include and exclude logic (I don't have a strong opinion there)... There's no reason to exclude them from importing at all. Let MC import them, but exclude them from showing in your Library (at least in most non-maintenance Views).

This provides a number of benefits:
* It keeps your Import setup simpler.
* You can use MC's Rename, Move, and Copy Files system to fix the file/folder structure, should you choose to in the future.
* You can use all of MC's other tools (metadata editing, etc) to manage the files.
* You can automate it. Adding exclusions by hand is never going to be easy to automate.

There's a wide variety of strategies you could use to exclude them. The way MC is "designed" you would probably want to stack the MP3s with the FLACs (or whatever higher quality format you use). But there's alternatives too. You could just exclude them from views via a Keyword (I use "Exclude from Views" FWIW). You could tag the files by hand, or use a Tag on Import rule to make it happen automatically. You could just exclude files in a particular Playlist, and then add the files by hand to the playlist to hide them. You could exclude them via a Smartlist which looks for duplicates and filters itself to show only the MP3 versions.

There's a wide variety of ways to automatically and/or selectively "hide" the duplicate files from your regular Views in MC, but to still have them imported (and therefore not have to fight the import system and also get to use MC's "good stuff" on them when needed).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

wer

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2019, 07:01:06 pm »

I must disagree with Glynor here.  This just moves the problem: configure views to exclude them rather than configure importing.

Just because you can work around something doesn't mean that's what ought to be done.

The fact that there is already an import exclusion for "special" files recognizes the truth that rebuts the supposed "advantages" he lists: not having a bunch of extraneous crap in your library is better than having it.

I won't argue about which is less work, but the result is indisputable: you end up with a bunch of files in the library you don't want, and which slow down operations and clutter up any unfiltered maintenance views.

JRiver aims to make MC a flexible program.  Forcing people to rearrange their filesystem, which can have implications outside MC, is undesirable. 

I think import exclusions would be a very friendly feature to have.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2019, 07:01:56 pm »

it is a valid option to just not have the mp3 files (assuming a flac counterpart).  the conversion tool is pretty fast.  just (yet) another way to use MC.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2019, 08:50:34 pm »

The Special Files that MC excludes are folder.jpg, *Sidecar.xml, etc. Those files are still managed by MC, they just aren't imported. So a different issue altogether.

MC can manage a Library with 800,000 track in it. Importing some extra MP3 files that are excluded in Views isn't going to be an issue with respect to speed.

Glynor's suggestion is what I recommended for the last guy with a similar issue (https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,121194.msg838873.html#msg838873), so I agree with him. But I think having the MP3's under a different top-level folder structure works better, in this case, because they are just MP3 files. In fact, as Ferday suggests, I would probably get rid of the duplicate MP3 files and just manage all MP3's I want to use on my cellphone using the Handheld Sync functionality, which includes using the conversion functionality to reduce file size.

I actually think having wildcard exclude functionality in Auto Import settings would be good, if it didn't slow Auto Import. The simple Auto Import setup now means MC doesn't have to build a complex list of where to look, which is good. I don't agree with the idea of putting exclude.jriver files in folders to be ignored though.

wer

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2019, 09:30:11 pm »

The Special Files that MC excludes are folder.jpg, *Sidecar.xml, etc. Those files are still managed by MC, they just aren't imported. So a different issue altogether.

Not exactly.  Those files may be "managed" by MC, but it is transparent to the user.  Folder.jpg is an importable file type in an importable folder... But they don't show up in your images or other lists.  There is no clutter impacting the user.  The idea behind the exclusion is the user isn't interested in these files.  The user doesn't have to implement a work-around to avoid them.  I don't have to exclude folder.jpg from any of my image views.

That was my point: the concept of avoiding user-visible clutter necessitating user-implemented work-arounds is already acknowledged as desirable by this option.

I'm glad we agree that implementing import exclusions is good.  ;D

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2019, 09:46:41 pm »

Surely it is simpler to set up a folder structure for import which reflects your requirements than expecting that the software is going to sort out all of your problems. Excluding mp3 files  from import is easy as long as you don't have some mp3 files that you want included. To extend the debate - I often import photos  and  I have to put them into the folders which I have deemed relevant - wouldn't it be wonderful if the software knew where I want them to go! Just a thought.
English spiders are kind of small, but when I was living in the African rain forest well ......

wer

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2019, 10:22:40 pm »

So BigSpider, evidently you're in favor of the human changing behavior to suit the software, instead of the software changing to suit the human.

Surely it is simpler for you to just remove ratings columns from your views than to change the software to totally eliminate ratings?  No?

If people were setting up directory structures from scratch, we could all hope they did it in an ideal way.  But other factors, and other software, may be in play for people that we don't know about. Reorganizing existing directory structures may be a bigger ask for some than you realize.

Good flexible software is able to be adapted to suit the user.  JRiver has always excelled in this regard.

I don't see the virtue of arguing against the original request of this thread.  The software is already in the "NO" state.  The improvement can be made non-disruptively,  so having heard the request and reasons why, JRiver will make their decision whether to accommodate it or not.  If they do implement it, they people who don't want it will not be harmed.

Peace and music to you all...

-Will

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2019, 10:29:02 pm »

Hi Wer,
As you probably already know removing ratings from any view is nigh on impossible, one of my long time bugbears, but I learn to live with it.

My point is simply, how do you tell the software that you want to omlt these files, whie those ones you want included. In my view he level of AI required for working out what I want where isn'tt there at the moment and won't be for some tine.

MikeO

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2019, 11:46:02 pm »

Bit late maybe ...

How about a custom tag "Exclude" 0 or 1 , then a custom view where exclude = 1

You keep all versions i the library but don't show them all, ]

I use something similar to show only my Core Library

Just a  thought

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2019, 07:10:10 am »

We've got a good method for excluding files by directory now.  We're not going to spend development time on a new method.  Sorry.

blgentry

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2019, 07:48:04 am »

My point is simply, how do you tell the software that you want to omlt these files, whie those ones you want included. In my view he level of AI required for working out what I want where isn'tt there at the moment and won't be for some tine.

It's actually quite simple.  In the case of the Original Poster, you would have an exclude rule that said:

Exclude:  "/MP3/"

So anything with that string in it's full filename, including the path, would be excluded.  Easy peasy.  Done.

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2019, 07:51:37 am »

We've got a good method for excluding files by directory now.  We're not going to spend development time on a new method.  Sorry.

You may not fully grasp the OP's request Jim.  He's asking to exclude hundreds of folders.  The current implementation would require hundreds of exclude statements.  It would also require him to add new ones for every new album he imports.

He's not alone.  Someone else 3 or 4 weeks ago asked for the same thing.

This request seems quite reasonable to me and actually doesn't seem like it would be much more than a 1 or 2 day project.

That's my opinion.  Thanks for reading.

Brian.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2019, 08:08:25 am »

For reference, Syncthing has a good exclusion syntax for its .stignore file.

See here: https://docs.syncthing.net/users/ignoring.html

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2019, 08:46:52 am »

I'm sorry, but we're not going to chase this.

We have infinite possibilities and finite resources.
Pages: [1]   Go Up