INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA device control problem  (Read 4399 times)

dsblum

• Recent member
DLNA device control problem
« on: August 08, 2019, 03:20:21 pm »

I've been using JRiver media center v23 to stream FLAC audio files on my windows PC to an Onkyo TX-NR545 receiver over wifi for over a year with few problems but recently I've been seeing these messages pop up after a track ends, after which either a delay of a minute or more occurs before the next track is played (but it still shows the earlier track on top) or JRiver just stops playing with the playback indicator still showing active.

"There was a problem controlling the selected DLNA device.  Double-check your device, server and network settings"

and, less frequently,

"Something went wrong with playback."

If the next track plays and I hit OK to clear the message, it stops playing and the message reappears.

I've made no changes to the PC or JRiver settings before this started happening.  Any suggestions?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DLNA device control problem
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 07:40:02 pm »

As no changes have been made, try rebooting everything. PC, Onkyo, router, and anything else in the network path.

If you are on Windows 10 though, then likely there have been changes in Windows. That is a different can of worms.

BTW, the first message you mention is generally related to the DLNA Renderer, the Onkyo, not handling Transport Events or SetNext control. Right-click on the Onkyo under Playing Now, and check settings under "DLNA Controller Options". Any firmware upgrade on the Onkyo? Maybe something that added SetNExt support, but it isn't working properly? MC detects if a Renderer says it supports Transport Events and/or SetNext, but sometimes they don't really. More info if you search the forum for "Transport Events".
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

dsblum

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 02:18:54 pm »

Thanks. I had already rebooted everything to no effect. Also no recent Onkyo upgrade was done so I upgraded it to the latest to see if that made a difference and it didn't. I then tried selecting "ignore transport events" and "ignore get position failure" ("disable setnext support" was already selected) and again rebooted PC and Onkyo and that too had no effect.
Pattern seems to be that one track is played;
"problem controlling" message pops up;
after some delay, next track plays (first track still shows playing);
after track completes, it stops completely until I hit OK in the message and then the next track plays. And on and on.

I'm guessing a Windows update broke it.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 08:29:32 pm »

You could try unchecking the Disable SetNext support and see if that changes anything, as it sounds like a DLNA Controller issue.

You could also search the forum for similar issues, as there have been a few. You may find a solution that works with MC23.

But the fix is probably to upgrade to MC25, as there has been a bunch of DLNA improvements since MC23, many to cope with "broken" Renderers, and Controller issues. Just search for "DLNA" in the MC24 and MC25 Release Notes. https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes to see what I mean.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

dsblum

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 02:25:55 pm »

Thanks again. Upgrade to v25 did the trick. No more DLNA errors and it plays without requiring manual intervention. However I'm seeing it randomly skip over tracks, as in playing #1,3,4,6,8,9, etc. I did a quick search online but couldn't find anything.

JJD

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 03:33:43 pm »

I've also noticed the same skipping tracks problem in my DLNA connection (with my Yamaha AVR) ever since I upgraded to 25.0.89 the other day. I haven't made any other changes, so I'm assuming it has to do with the latest MC version.
Jack

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 06:01:55 pm »

Try toggling the option called SetNextAVTransport.

JJD

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 02:27:18 pm »

I've done some sample testing (~30 tracks) with SetNextAVTransport disabled and it has resolved the skipping tracks problem. However that also turns off gapless playback, something that I've used since first installing JRiver 5 years ago. Gapless playback affects listening to albums like Dark Side of the Moon, so I'd prefer run with SetNextAVTransport enabled.

One other thing I didn't mention about my experience with the track skipping is that sometimes MC just stops playing after a track completes. For example, yesterday with SetNextAVTransport enabled, 3 tracks played successfully, track 4 was skipped, track 5 and 6 played and then MC stopped at track 7 without playing it, even though there were >10 tracks left to play.

None of this is a big deal and I can work around it, but I thought I'd mention it in case someone might want to look into it.

Jack
Jack

dsblum

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 03:25:11 pm »

Couldn't find SetNextAVTransport but I did find SetNext support which I disabled and that seemed to fix the skip problem. I'm not sure if gapless playback is now disabled; I'll have to find an album that I know features that to see if it still works.

dsblum

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2019, 03:19:29 pm »

After weeks of trouble-free service using v25 (now running 25.0.104), I started seeing the same problem originally reported in this thread for v23. I tried reboots and disabling/ignoring various DLNA controller functions to no avail. Not sure where to go now.

JJD

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2019, 05:29:01 pm »

@dsblum
The problems I reported in this thread and another thread (see https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,121897.msg846323.html#msg846323 were resolved in releases 25.0.101 and 102. Since it took a while for these problems to be resolved, I decided to not do any more updates until things settle down, so I'm still running release 102 without any problems.

I don't know how often you have updated JRiver, but you could check your download folder (from MC Help->Update Channels->Open Download Folder) to see if you have either release 101 or 102 and re-install it (or whatever you were running prior to release 104 that you were happy with).

Good luck.
Jack
Pages: [1]   Go Up