INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any news on client waking up server?  (Read 1362 times)

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
Any news on client waking up server?
« on: August 12, 2019, 04:09:07 pm »

hi dev, in 2015 found a post about making the client send a magic packet to wake the server... (from a client that has woken from a sleep state ... we nearly four years down the line and we still havnt got this hmmm strange things  is jriver is gear towards htpc media center so if people using this software as a htpc ie live tv movies etc a family would normally make the client sleep , as it stands you either need to leave it on for less tech famiily members coz they certainly cant be botherd in exiting jriver and loading it up again ( hope you with me and understand, because how you have it jriver is more getting like a desktop app then htpc with ten foot interface where you set back and enjoy. sadly mediaportal and kodi  have this built in so would be nice to get it  available its been fours years since the first post wanted same thing....

thanks for the time in reading

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Any news on client waking up server???
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 05:27:42 pm »

Please describe what you've done to make WOL work on the server.

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Any news on client waking up server???
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 12:46:10 am »

(It's not the server im on about)

hi thought i did explain it ( i say it again server in basement set to sleep at certain time client in the lounge set to sleep at certain time ((lets say for example server set to sleep after 30 min of idle , the client is set to sleep at 15mins of idle so in one hour time both are a sleep basement server asleep and lounge htpc sleep so wife comes in from shopping say presses the htpc remote for lounge pc to come on which it does now it dosnt send the magic packet to wake seerver in lounge wife say whats happing cant watch tv i say you need to exit the program and reload it  then it will work ... now can you see why this is not family friendly so jriver becomes more like a desktop app hope this makes more sense but its simliar. like i mention a post nearly four years ago wanted say thing sorted in 2019 still not got this important feature that stops jriver being a desktop app and more of a htpc frontend))

thanks

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Any news on client waking up server?
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 06:44:43 am »

I'm only asking what changes you have made on the server so that WOL works. 

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 07:51:35 am »

hi the server pc is setup to accept magic packet ive mention that kodi and mediaportal sends the magic packet and works from my first post (when i say works i mean like this mediaportal server part installed on server pc ((just like how jriver is setup acting as a server with me?)

now i install mediaportal client on lounge htpc  just as jriver is installed on lounge pc acting a client like mediaportal is with so far. when server and lounge pc are asleep and i'm using mediaportal, client wakes up on power on with remote mediaportal then sends the magic packet to wake the server pc and does all is great just how it should be for htpc .. right;

Now when using jriver as client when all is asleep server and lounge pc i power on with remote on lounge pc, jriver's main menu is on screen and has not sent a magic packet to the server pc to wake it up .....

I have to exit jriver program then reload it only then it sends a wake up magic packet to server and wakes it (aww by the way mediaportal is one off the htpc mediacenters that work as intended the other is kodi , the other that don't work as intended is jriver,plex,emby maybe few others but not tested them only ones ive listed ive tried

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 08:42:56 am »

hi the server pc is setup to accept magic packet
How?  BIOS?  Network card?  What are the settings?

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 09:52:53 am »

i take it by your post that you have no idea about what im saying and you dont even have this type of setup .. jim please read my post i keeps saying everthing in the server and client pc is all setup and working ie client pc ie lounge pc can wake server to transfer a file from client to server via windows network coz its sends the commands to wake it up and it does that mean it works .. what im posting is jriver client does not send the commands to the server to wake it up if you want to try it do so put jriver on another pc make jriver act as server , put client also on another pc set that as client then put both pc's to sleep then only use the client pc now wake it up so jriver client should be already loaded then go and check the server pc you will see its not awake because jriver client dont send the magic packet (hope you understand magic packet) when the client is already loaded from a sleep sate .

so its been since 2015 someone ask about this now 2019 dont you think it should be availble now.As in one of my post above how it is at mo to wake server up from client pc is like a desktop app ie exit program then reload it

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 10:00:28 am »

I've read your posts.  I understand what the problem is.  I'm willing to look at it.  But, if my memory is correct, it's possible to set the server to respond to any packet, not just WOL packets.

What did you do to set up your server so that it works with another program?  If you can't report that, I'll put this aside.

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 10:38:03 am »

Hi jim, i dont understand your question , ive told you all  . windows 10 network card is setup to accept magic packet on both pc server and client the other programs are mediaportal and kodi them clients send this magic packet to the server which wakes it up simple as that really but your program dosnt you always have to exit jriver ie close it to desktop the launch it to send magic pkacket then it wake server ... but i want it to send the magic packet while the client is already loaded from sleep state like the other programs kodi and medoaportal with them i dont have to close them programs to desktop and load them to get them to send a magic packet (like i have to with jriver)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 09:14:21 pm »

G'Day Bigmuscles.

I understand your issue, although your posts are a bit "Stream of consciousness" and hence a but hard to follow.

What Jim is asking about is the settings on the server that will wake the PC. There are usually two configuration options for this, shown in the network (ethernet for you?) Configuration dialogue. One is the Magic Packet, and the other is Pattern Matching. I have both these enabled on my PCs. There is also usually a Link Speed setting for WOL, as it often needs to happen at a speed that is common for all hardware. i.e. 10Mbps, rather than the full 1000Mbps that is common these days.

But enough of that, as WOL is working on your LAN, so your settings are probably fine. I understand that when you restart the MC Client, it broadcasts WOL Magic Packets on the network, your MC Server sees those and wakes up. All good.

So, Bob did some work on this some time back, and I thought that he added WOL packets being sent when a Client PC that was running MC was woken. I thought I saw that working, but it wasn't consistent. I haven't checked if Magic Packets are actually being sent. Unfortunately, I gave up on pursuing the issue further, because it was taking lots of time. But I have seen recently that the issue is still there. In my case, I mostly have the issue when the HTPC MC Server goes to sleep underneath the Client when I am doing other stuff on the Workstation and not playing music. If I try using the MC Client it will sort of work, but slowly, as it is using the local cached/synced Library from the Server, and can't update or get updates from the sleeping Server. So some functions don't work, such as playing media. Only searches, Views, and other Library functions work.

So, I hear you.

One fairly simple solution for you situation, where the Client has actually gone to sleep, is to set up a task in the Windows Task Scheduler that is activated when the PC wakes up. The task should send either a MC Restart command, or perhaps just a Library load command, either of which should send the required WOL Magic Packets to wake your MC Server.

I haven't tried to set this up as my situation doesn't match yours exactly, so I haven't worked out the exact Task settings. I know having a Task run when a PC wakes is a little bit tricky, as it must be triggered by a Power State change, which isn't obvious in the settings. I have found it by Googling in the past. I also haven't tested which MC MCC command would be best, but that shouldn't be hard to work out and test.

Please have a go at setting up the Windows Task required. If you get stuck, ask for more help. I'll try to find time to work it out.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up