INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keep losing connection with new headless Mac Mini, maybe sleeping?  (Read 1096 times)

cantara256

• Recent member

I have a new Mac Mini whose sole purpose is to run MC. No display or keyboard; wireless network to my Archer C2300 Wi-Fi router.

My Mac Mini seems to keep going to sleep; after some time, I can't connect via remote desktop, SSH, or JRemote. My only option is to reboot it.

I have checked in System Settings -> Energy Saver:

• Prevent computer from sleeping automatically
  • Wake for network access
  • Start up automatically after power failure
  • Enable Power Nap

Any ideas how to keep this sucker from sleeping?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Keep losing connection with new headless Mac Mini, maybe sleeping?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 08:28:39 am »

I've read a couple of reports about this; not sure why it happens.

One forum thread (not here) that I read recommended an app called "Caffeine", which has some configuration options to keep the Mac awake "all the time" or other various options.  You might do a little research on that and maybe try that app.

Good luck.

Brian.

crashjtm

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 09:05:46 am »

I used to use caffeine but I am not sure if caffeine is available anymore - the developer web site refers to a OS X 10.  I use an app called amphetamine to keep my Mac from sleeping.

If you search the Mac app store for caffeine a number of options come up.

daidnik

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 02:13:02 pm »

I have also noted my Mac Mini going to sleep on network.   I note this when I try to do a remote shutdown.

I have found that pushing the power button on the sleeping mac mini wakes it up, then remote access & shutdown is possible.

dmitch77

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 09:28:46 pm »

I have the same configuration and the same problem. After much experimentation and research I decided the only option was to disable sleep entirely on the Mini. In the Energy Saver Preference pane in System Preferences, enable "Prevent computer from sleeping when display is off". I also disable display sleep (since I use HDMI for audio out). It feels wrong, I know; but my Mini has no fan and no hard disk (it's SSD only) so it's not really hurting anything and not drawing much power. I've been running like this for at least 3 years.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 02:17:06 pm »

Even if it does sleep, a wake-on-lan from JRemote (on the local lan) should wake it up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up