INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shared music library with local "play" information  (Read 840 times)

BaldMan

• Recent member
Shared music library with local "play" information
« on: August 14, 2019, 01:57:11 pm »

All our music currently resides on a NAS and we have 3 copies of MC (mine, my wife's, and household) which access that music. Each PC has it's own library. Ideally I'd like us all to have "basically" the same library so things like tag editing, track linking, etc. only have to be done in that one library. Sort of seems like the Media Server might be the way to go. However, I would rather things like "Last Played", "Play Count", "Ratings", etc. -- things that are a bit more user-specific, be maintained on the local client.

We set up a lot of playlists using smartlists where the music is chosen based on how long it has been since it was last played. However, if I play it on my PC, I don't want the "master" library updated with that same "last played" date because that could prevent it from being included on a playlist on another machine.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,
--Mike

NorthGeorgiaWX

• Recent member
  • It's a jeep thing... you wouldn't understand
Re: Shared music library with local "play" information
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 02:28:10 pm »

I have a lot of questions about the client/server relationship and so far no good answers.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 02:36:54 pm »

If you set authentication in Media Network settings on the server, the clients will be able to sync changes to the server.

You will probably have to try it to be sure it meets your expectations.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 03:18:51 pm »

The easiest option is to use a master library with several library clients using Media Server: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Server

Another alternative is here: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,121116.0.html

BaldMan

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 08:41:47 am »

The easiest option is to use a master library with several library clients using Media Server: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Server

Another alternative is here: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,121116.0.html

The first doesn't work because "The client will send play count and last played information back to the server." This is what I'm trying to avoid.

The second doesn't work because there is no need to sync the files, all clients are already accessing the files from the NAS. Unfortunately the track linking information is not stored in the file (it could be but no guarantee the library index is the same on each client). I would rather the link was the path to the file than its index.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 08:47:27 am »

The first doesn't work because "The client will send play count and last played information back to the server." This is what I'm trying to avoid.
Not unless you tell it to.

On this page,
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Server

search for "authentication" and then for "sync".

Also this page:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Server_Sync

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 09:38:57 am »

If I understand correctly, the idea is to maintain on the server a common value for tags that are in common across all clients (artist, album, etc.) but to also maintain individual tag values that are specific to a given client  (play count, ratings, etc.) Not sure that is possible, but it seems like a reasonable thing to be want to do.  It is not just a matter of not writing a value back to the server, but maintaining different values for some tags for different clients.

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 10:13:04 am »

I'm with DTC, I don't think what is being requested is being understood completely by Jim.  I wonder if the user field could somehow be used to do what you want to do or it could be used for a new feature to achieve what you want.

The only solution I could give you would be for ratings.  You could create a new field for each individual in your family "BaldMan Ratings"  "BaldMan's Wife Ratings" etc. 

BaldMan

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 11:45:43 am »

Not unless you tell it to.

On this page,
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Server

search for "authentication" and then for "sync".

Also this page:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Server_Sync

Yes, but then all "master" changes need to be made on one machine. Tagging, especially genre should be able to be done on client machines and synched back.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 11:51:17 am »

You can sync back, depending on your settings.

BaldMan

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 01:36:33 pm »

You can sync back, depending on your settings.

What does that mean?

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2019, 02:30:38 pm »

What does that mean?

You can sync changes that clients make to the library (library field changes, etc) back to the server, which is then propagated to the rest of the clients.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2019, 02:44:45 pm »

It's explained in the wiki.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2019, 02:46:27 pm »

You can sync changes that clients make to the library (library field changes, etc) back to the server, which is then propagated to the rest of the clients.

But it is not selective. If authentication and syncing are set, all library field (tag) value changes made on a client are synced back to the library server, including fields like last played and ratings.

Does "propagated to the rest of the clients" mean sent to those client machines when they are connected as clients or does it propagate them out to the local databases on the client machines.  I believe the former, but have never tested it.

EDIT:  The tag value propagates to the client's temporary library when they are connected to the library server. They do not get propagated to the local permanent library on the client. This is as expected, but just wanted to confirm.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2019, 10:25:02 am »

But it is not selective. If authentication and syncing are set, all library field (tag) value changes made on a client are synced back to the library server, including fields like last played and ratings.

Does "propagated to the rest of the clients" mean sent to those client machines when they are connected as clients or does it propagate them out to the local databases on the client machines.  I believe the former, but have never tested it.

EDIT:  The tag value propagates to the client's temporary library when they are connected to the library server. They do not get propagated to the local permanent library on the client. This is as expected, but just wanted to confirm.

You can do this with the client-client model I posted using a third-party synchronization tool like syncthing. All you need to do is to select the library fields that you want to be written to the tags (or more likely, de-select the ones that you don't want to be sent back to the server) in the library field editor.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2019, 03:56:26 pm »

You can do this with the client-client model I posted using a third-party synchronization tool like syncthing. All you need to do is to select the library fields that you want to be written to the tags (or more likely, de-select the ones that you don't want to be sent back to the server) in the library field editor.

It would be nice to have this type of capability built into MC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up