INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exporting Playlists to Different Computer  (Read 3231 times)

Lucifigus

Exporting Playlists to Different Computer
« on: August 15, 2019, 10:34:27 am »

This seems like such a simple issue and yet there seems to be no clear direction on how to accomplish this.

I have a drive which is exclusively used as my JRiver library.  This drive is connected to my desktop computer most of the time.  When I spend time elsewhere, I take my laptop and simply plug my library drive into the laptop. 

I have no problem "Exporting" playlists to the library drive, but I can find no method or direction to successfully "Import" the playlists to a different computer.  Although I have exported my playlists to the drive, and import them onto the laptop with Tools>Import>Import a Single Folder.  I do get a list of the playlists I exported to the drive on the laptop, but none of the playlists contain any songs.  Not particularly useful.

Is there a simple process for exporting and importing playlists?

Lucifigus

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Exporting Playlists to Different Computer
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 04:35:08 am »

Just make sure the drive letter is the same in both machines.
English spiders are kind of small, but when I was living in the African rain forest well ......

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 01:24:22 pm »

The simplest thing would be to backup and restore the entire Library:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Backup

If you really want to import just the Playlists, MC's regular Import system will import the playlist files it exports. As BigSpider indicated, you will need to make sure the path matches (the drive uses the same drive letter on both machines). But aside from that, there is no "special" playlist importing system. You just use the regular import methods that work with files:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Import

But, again, backing up and restoring the entire Library would probably be a much better fit for what you want. That'll give you everything (Playlists, Smartlists, Views, Playstats, and everything).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 03:49:53 pm »

I have a playlist that is a slideshow of images. What is the best way to export that and then import it on another machine? I have been unsuccessful to date. I have had to open the file I exported and then copy the links and then past them into a playlist. It seems like I should be able to just export to a file and import the playlist on a different computer to create a playlist. But it does not seem to work for slideshows of images. And, yes, the path's are the same.

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 07:00:00 pm »

It works if you export as a .mpl file on my machines. Obviously m3u and m3u8 don't work as the implication is that these are audio files, as far as I am aware.
English spiders are kind of small, but when I was living in the African rain forest well ......

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 08:13:41 pm »

Tried a mpl and it did not work for a slideshow. I  can try again. Have you had a slideshow work with a .mpl on a current release?

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 08:28:10 pm »

I have just tried a .mpl playlist exported from my desktop pc to my HTPC with no problem once the different drive letter was corrected using notepad.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 08:32:25 pm »

A slideshow?

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 08:41:17 pm »

A playlist of photos.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 08:56:38 pm »

OK - I will try again.

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 09:12:11 pm »

Look at the filepath for a single photo and then check in notepad that the file path to that photo is exactly the same in the mpl file.  It works ok for me.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2019, 10:11:17 pm »

I have a mpl file named Barcelona Short Test. Within that file the name of the playlist is Barcelona Short Test. When I import that file as a playlist, it is shown as a recently imported file. However, the playlist does not appear in my list of playlists.  Importing the playlist does not seem to create a new playlist, just an imported file.  If I click on the imported mpl file, it calls up the first image, so the links are all correct.

See the attached screen shot.

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2019, 10:25:26 pm »

if you go to imported playlists and select that file what happens? For me I see the playlist correctly formatted.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2019, 11:01:47 pm »

However, the playlist does not appear in my list of playlists.  Importing the playlist does not seem to create a new playlist, just an imported file.

Look under the "Imported Playlists" Playlist Group. It will be there.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2019, 07:16:12 am »

Thanks. Should have looked there.

Mike_WI

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2019, 12:34:37 pm »

The simplest thing would be to backup and restore the entire Library:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Backup

If you really want to import just the Playlists, MC's regular Import system will import the playlist files it exports. As BigSpider indicated, you will need to make sure the path matches (the drive uses the same drive letter on both machines). But aside from that, there is no "special" playlist importing system. You just use the regular import methods that work with files:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Import

But, again, backing up and restoring the entire Library would probably be a much better fit for what you want. That'll give you everything (Playlists, Smartlists, Views, Playstats, and everything).
I also tried export/importing single and group playlists and using the library backup and restore functions.
My original computer has music on a D: drive.
The new computer has data including music on an F: drive.
Seems like I should be able to do this with a way to mention which drive to use?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2019, 02:00:02 pm »

I also tried export/importing single and group playlists and using the library backup and restore functions.
My original computer has music on a D: drive.
The new computer has data including music on an F: drive.
Seems like I should be able to do this with a way to mention which drive to use?

Yup. It is five step process:

0. On the Old computer, disable Auto-Import entirely (so it doesn't mess up your machinations). Tools > Options > Library & Folders > Auto-Import: Uncheck Run auto-import in the background. Probably also uncheck Run import on empty Libraries for good measure (though this shouldn't matter here).

1. Make a Library backup on all of the machines (so you can undo if things go sideways, and you'll need the backup from the old computer anyway). It is linked above, but see this for instructions: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Backup

2. Copy the Library Backup of the Old computer to the New computer and restore it. You probably want to restore both Library and Settings, though this is somewhat up to you. If you don't restore Settings, then you'll also want to do Step 0 on the New computer in addition to the old one before you do this.

3. You now have an exact replica of your Library and Settings on the new computer. The only issue is that all of your files are "broken" because they still point to D. You need to change all of the files from D to F. Rename, Move, and Copy Files will do this. Select ALL of the files (you don't really have to be careful since you're just going to change the Library and you have a backup) and do Right-Click > Library Tools > Rename, Move, and Copy Files.

Read through this documentation to get an idea of what you're going to do:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Find_and_Replace_Template

4. In the RMCF dialog, choose:
Mode: Update database to point to new location (make sure not to skip this part).
Uncheck the Filename and Directories templates entirely. They're not needed.
Check the Find & Replace Template.
Set Find What: D:\
Replace With: F:\

Check through the Preview panel to make sure it looks right. Then, click OK to apply the changes.

After this you'll have your Library exactly as it was, with all of the files now reconnected on the F: drive.

5. Then you'll need to manually go in and move any Auto-Import entries you have to look at the F drive instead of the D drive, and re-enable Auto-Import.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2019, 10:38:21 am »

This seems like such a simple issue and yet there seems to be no clear direction on how to accomplish this.

I have a drive which is exclusively used as my JRiver library.  This drive is connected to my desktop computer most of the time.  When I spend time elsewhere, I take my laptop and simply plug my library drive into the laptop. 

I have no problem "Exporting" playlists to the library drive, but I can find no method or direction to successfully "Import" the playlists to a different computer.  Although I have exported my playlists to the drive, and import them onto the laptop with Tools>Import>Import a Single Folder.  I do get a list of the playlists I exported to the drive on the laptop, but none of the playlists contain any songs.  Not particularly useful.

Is there a simple process for exporting and importing playlists?

Lucifigus

Easiest way I found.... create a folder called "Playlists" or whatever you want within the music files folder. Export your playlists (one at a time, unfortunately) from the main machine into this folder using the "relative path" option checked. Make sure the second machine monitors the Playlists folder for playlists, and it will import them. Then move the playlists as desired within MC on the second machine.

Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

esowden

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2023, 09:24:31 am »

The method that works for me:
  • Export the playlist as an mpl file to a separate folder.
  • Open the playlist with Notepad.
  • Click Replace command under Edit.
  • Enter the current drive and/or folder path into the Find field
  • Enter the new drive and/or folder path into the Replace field
  • Click Replace All
  • Save your changes.
  • Import the playlist to the second computer.
Quick, Easy, Done.

boxer

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2023, 10:22:22 pm »

Hello,

I am trying to do the same thing and ran into a lot of difficulty with it. Not sure if this is the right channel but did anyone find a solution?

My goal is to export certain playlists to another computer to use with Traktor or Rekordbox so I don't need just the playlists but the songs included in those paylists.

Thanks!

timmyleeturner

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2024, 03:46:47 pm »

I've spent all day simply trying to move my playlists to another computer with the exact same file path, it just won't work.  I've tried a complete library back up and restore, tried moving them one playlist at a time and just can't get it accomplished.  Jukebox 14 was the greatest jukebox there ever was, but I don't need a complete media center, unfortunately. I guess I'm gonna have to just guy me a good bottle of hootch and start rebuilding playlists.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2024, 01:31:18 am »

A backup from a very old version may not contain playlists.

What versions are you using?
Pages: [1]   Go Up