INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plex Throws in the Towel for the HTPC [then Changes Their Mind]  (Read 10953 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Their users are going to love this:

https://www.plex.tv/blog/desktop-af/

... "The new desktop app is notably lacking TV mode, which means that we’re going to stop supporting the traditional HTPC setup (using a desktop computer connected to your TV or home theater) with this app."

retro

• World Citizen
Re: Plex Throws in the Towel for the HTPC
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 03:10:56 pm »

;D ;D ;D

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 05:07:48 pm »

Thats a huge call from them. No longer embedding but relying on a sync functionality will make it lighter but less reliable I would think.

It could work but forcing customers in a certain direction could backfire.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 06:05:28 pm »

Here is the user thread over at Plex discussing it - https://forums.plex.tv/t/killing-pmp-for-windows/446526/98

There was a bit of talk on Kodi Front End for Plex (but it seems dev is stalled).  I wonder about MC for Plex for their HTPC Users?
JRiver CEO Elect

jachin99

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 06:42:16 pm »

They'll probably switch to either jriver or Emby. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 06:46:52 pm »

I think I'll hire a Swedish nurse and stay around another ten years, just to see what happens.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 09:52:59 pm »

I think I'll hire a Swedish nurse and stay around another ten years, just to see what happens.

That is pretty much what I suggested you do!  ;D
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 09:59:16 pm »

That was what gave me the idea.  Thank you.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 10:18:52 pm »

You're welcome Jim.

As a non-PLEX users, it isn't clear to me what this really means. I assume that the Plex Media Server will still have a "TV mode", or the capabilities to record TV and all the DVR functionality. It is just the desktop app that won't have DVR capability. So, on a HTPC, run the Plex Media Server and the Desktop App, and you still have the same experience.

But I'm not sure that is correct.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 10:25:30 pm »

The naming is a bit misleading but from what I understand, they are dropping their Windows Playback client.  You will need to use the clients they have for Roku / Shield / Web Browsers etc.
JRiver CEO Elect

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 10:35:35 pm »

Yeah from what I gather it would be like JRiver dropping the "Player" option from MC and have users rely on JRemote/Panel/Network players.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2019, 10:48:51 pm »

I use Plex, and I know basically what they're talking about. They're talking about their version of Theater View. A a fullscreen, remote-control enabled mode of the Desktop app for Windows.

I've never used it. I use Plex nearly-exclusively for mobile device playback (iPad and a tiny bit of iPhone). The handful of times I've used it from a computer, it was my laptop hooked up to a hotel or friend's projector or whatever, and I've just used the web interface. You have to use a mouse to control most things, but on my laptop that's rarely a big deal.

It isn't really surprising. As they said, I'm sure the vast majority of their users just use TV-connected pucks of one variety or another.

There's an opportunity here. You'd be a lot better positioned to take advantage of it, IMHO, if a few issues were addressed. Still, I do think JRiver could capture some of the fleeing HTPC users. MC works quite well alongside Plex (that's exactly what I do). You can:
* Use all of the tools and organizational prowess of MC to manage your media (which Plex doesn't provide at all and you have to do it like an animal).
* Theater View for your HTPC(s)
* MC is hands-down better for music.
* Import the media folders from your MC Library into Plex to serve to mobile clients and any TV-pucks you have, and MC will let you "perfect" the file naming structure to conform perfectly with what Plex expects.

So, tell people that. You have some issues in mobile device support for video, but it works alongside Plex just fine. The only issue really is that watched status and position doesn't sync.

Overall, whether this turns out to be a good tactical move for Plex remains to be seen. Longer term, though, I think strategically they're probably right. I don't have one, and I'm not really in the market right now. But, the pucks have won, at least this round.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2019, 10:52:56 pm »

Seems JRiver is only HTPC solution for power users ... kodi ditch DSPlayer with madVR some time ago ... Emby ditch madVR too ... now Plex ditching HTPC

Hope JRiver don’t follow them
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2019, 11:03:54 pm »

Ewwww looks like their "new" player does not even do AutoFrameRate switching....  There are some angry users over there.
JRiver CEO Elect

Manfred

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2019, 04:15:57 am »

I tested Plex a few times ago, but MC was much better for me. But this is for me not the point in that was Plex is doing.

I have an MC based server connected to 4 x Output Clients (iPad, PC, Video Renderer connected to 4K TV with madVR – PC HW based, Devialet through Devialet AIR from Server for Audio). As I bought a new iPad in the Apple Store I could not withstand and I also bought an Apple TV 4K. I have also installed Infuse. From a UX and UI PoV I would use ATV as a Client to MC to replace my Video Renderer, only the video quality and playback problems of 29i mkv make me use it rarely.

I would love to see MC client run on ATV or Shield TV with full MC video capabilities and quality and a UI and UX experience like Infuse or something like that, but without all the hiccups of PC HW. I would not need my PC HW based Video renderer any more.

My MC based server is then a solution for local playback through IP in a hybrid world with Netflix etc.

I think many people feel like that and that is what Plex also feels. And I agree not everybody likes this decision (new invest, vendor lock in ...)

WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2019, 05:09:18 am »

I would love to see MC client to run on ATV or Shield TV with full MC video capabilities and quality and a UI and UX experience like Infuse or something like that, but without all the hiccups of PC HW. I would not need my PC HW based Video renderer any more.
That would be impossible … full MC video capabilities are enabled through RO HQ, which is madVR … and madVR is DirectShow filter … meaning it runs only Windows
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

Manfred

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2019, 05:14:23 am »

Capabilities mean for me something similar and not the same.

But also the madVR team is going along:

http://www.madvrlabs.llc
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

danpoleary

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2019, 03:07:25 pm »

Not quite,

No HTPC Support means a bunch of features are being dropped.

1. No more remote control support
2. No more refresh rate switching
3. Very basic audio support. No DTS etc...

You're welcome Jim.

As a non-PLEX users, it isn't clear to me what this really means. I assume that the Plex Media Server will still have a "TV mode", or the capabilities to record TV and all the DVR functionality. It is just the desktop app that won't have DVR capability. So, on a HTPC, run the Plex Media Server and the Desktop App, and you still have the same experience.

But I'm not sure that is correct.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2019, 08:10:42 pm »

Not quite,

No HTPC Support means a bunch of features are being dropped.

1. No more remote control support
2. No more refresh rate switching
3. Very basic audio support. No DTS etc...

:o :o :o

That is consistent with what Glynor said. Frankly, that seems unbelievable. But it may be a good move for them, because most of the world just want high volumes of low-quality media, on any device. So they get a lot more dumb users playing poor quality media, but still paying.

As Jim implied, this could get interesting.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2019, 08:17:40 pm »

This sums it up from Plex's "elan / CTO and Co-Founder"

I don’t doubt there are a number of people unhappy with the decision, and quite frankly, I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a high overlap with people who use these forums. But you also have to keep in mind that we have millions of users, and are looking at aggregate playback stats. So yes, there are at least 444 people who dislike the idea of HTPC mode going away, but you have to view this in the context of the actual use being a tiny fraction of overall playbacks (and decreasing).

I’m saying this as a user myself (remember, I was the guy who first ported XBMC to macOS and who loved using Mac Mini as an HTPC). But in this day and age with HDR content and massively improved streaming devices, I use the Apple TV and Shield and don’t look back.

Another positive spin on it is that we’ll have more resources to ensure playback on those platforms is as good as it could possibly be; we’ve invested a lot recently to ensure we’re using mpv on iOS/tvOS side, which was a massive upgrade. And android has its own advanced player based on ExoPlayer.

Will streaming devices ever “beat” a custom-built NUC with the right firmware and graphics drivers and latest Kodi in terms of customizability and codec support? Probably not, but for the vast majority of users, they are a much better choice all around.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2019, 09:32:27 pm »

Seems JRiver is only HTPC solution for power users ... kodi ditch DSPlayer with madVR some time ago ... Emby ditch madVR too ... now Plex ditching HTPC

Hope JRiver don’t follow them

I think we are seeing a split in the players, with some going for the Mass Market vs High End.  JRiver is fast becoming the only choice (if it is not already) for us Videofools.  Last night we watched another UHD BD that had been pre-processed by madMeasure for HDR goodness on our 125" PJ 7.2.4 Atmos setup.  Looked and sounded great.  Can't see how a $100 puck is going to win me over. 
JRiver CEO Elect

jachin99

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2019, 09:46:09 pm »

I think we are seeing a split in the players, with some going for the Mass Market vs High End.  JRiver is fast becoming the only choice (if it is not already) for us Videofools.  Last night we watched another UHD BD that had been pre-processed by madMeasure for HDR goodness on our 125" PJ 7.2.4 Atmos setup.  Looked and sounded great.  Can't see how a $100 puck is going to win me over.

This is exactly why something like JRiver is still needed.  I personally use Android devices like the shield for bedrooms and the livingroom but JRiver is in my media room, and that's where we all watch 90 percent of our tv.  So looking at this from the Plex point of view, I would have their software installed on more devices but it's deceptive because I do all of my viewing on the one exception

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2019, 02:00:41 am »

It may be worthwhile having a "PLEX HTPC Users - Getting Started with MC" but it would need to be by someone who knows Plex (and that is not me!).  Suggest:
- Lexicon Mapping from Plex to MC Terms
- How to move or Sync Meta Data
- Maybe a discount
JRiver CEO Elect

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2019, 02:17:43 am »

Here is a start Nathan:

*Lexicon

;)

MoDementia

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2019, 04:44:17 am »

Their users are going to love this:

https://www.plex.tv/blog/desktop-af/

... "The new desktop app is notably lacking TV mode, which means that we’re going to stop supporting the traditional HTPC setup (using a desktop computer connected to your TV or home theater) with this app."

No we don't , and we are coming over :)

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2019, 06:46:33 am »

It may be worthwhile having a "PLEX HTPC Users - Getting Started with MC" but it would need to be by someone who knows Plex (and that is not me!).  Suggest:
- Lexion Mapping from Plex to MC Terms
- Maybe a discount

There is not much to move … as plex does not have any extra/custom tags

Many of them are used to Plex Server running directly on NAS appliances … which is not possible with MC (unless NAS box is Windows or Linux or Mac) … also many of them run Plex clients on SmartTV and appleTV … which is not possible with MC … of course there are alternatives to those in MC universe lol

Plex is very easy to setup … MC steep learning curve might deter "casual" Plex users … unless they are not shy about using this forum as support here is great

You can run MC and Plex on same machine (I do that … Plex is still around cause I got life membership … and it is admittingly easy to use with mobile devices)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2019, 07:23:41 am »

Here is a start Nathan:

*Lexicon

;)
I fixed Nathan's typo.

darky

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2019, 08:37:22 am »

even if it would play all ( like simple recievers and smaller tv's play music and video also) we freaks like to mess around..till it doesn't work anymore..and start again. That is called a hobby :D

Pottypotsworth

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2019, 02:21:40 am »

- Lexicon Mapping from Plex to MC Terms
- Maybe a discount

This would be very useful. I've been a Plex "power user" for 11 years but I installed JRiver last night, now about 12 hours later it is 1/3rd of the way through importing my media. I think I have managed to work out how everything works, but syncing meta data and watched status is huge and despite all my searching I can't find anything about how to do that.

Thanks.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2019, 02:56:27 am »

This would be very useful. I've been a Plex "power user" for 11 years but I installed JRiver last night, now about 12 hours later it is 1/3rd of the way through importing my media. I think I have managed to work out how everything works, but syncing meta data and watched status is huge and despite all my searching I can't find anything about how to do that.

Thanks.

Regarding metadata ... for movies and music ... likely MC will download new metadata from tmdb or lastfm (if you named your posters/cd covers in certain ways those will not be redowloaded)

Plex is using SQLite to store Watched and Progress

https://support.plex.tv/articles/201154527-move-viewstate-ratings-from-one-install-to-another/

Without digging deeper not sure how can export that data in a format where can copy and paste to MC metadata

Kodi and JRiver don’t lock their metadata and these can be put as sidecar files next to files (or directly written to files) ... Plex chose to make it difficult for you to move to other systems ... shame on them

Maybe one of MC developers can look at link above and write a simple tool that allows Plex users to import their metadata to MC (show those Plex ppl what customer support really means)

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2019, 03:03:07 am »

This might help a little also....

How To: Build A Custom Watched Field for Media Center

-marko

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2019, 06:32:37 am »

“Help me understand how the loss of refresh rate switching is the make or break feature for Plex? Maybe if you explain your use case for rate switching, and buffer settings, we can understand if there’s a case for a large majority of users.”

That’s coming from Plex Employee!!! ... Plex is dead for HTPC for sure

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2019, 02:00:27 pm »

Pottypotsworth

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2019, 12:03:51 pm »

Thanks for all the help so far, guys  ;D

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2019, 12:28:53 pm »

I think we are seeing a split in the players, with some going for the Mass Market vs High End.  JRiver is fast becoming the only choice (if it is not already) for us Videofools.  Last night we watched another UHD BD that had been pre-processed by madMeasure for HDR goodness on our 125" PJ 7.2.4 Atmos setup.  Looked and sounded great. 

I agree that it looks like a race to the bottom in some respects.  It's an easy decision here.  We're going for quality.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2019, 02:55:23 pm »

Many years ago, I sold socks for a living at open air markets... I took pride in the quality of my wares.

Joe Public couldn't care less about quality... A pound a pair or four for a pound? Eventually, I gave it up as a lost cause..

I really hope that MC's days aren't numbered.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2019, 05:49:14 pm »

There are people who care about quality.  You should see my sock drawer.   8)

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2019, 10:07:28 am »

before Plex entered a house it asked “do you have any house slippers?”

“Sure” replied house owner. “Do you want any slippers?” then owner ask JRiver

JRiver replied “Nope ... my socks dont have holes in them.”

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2019, 02:54:30 pm »

Hah! You quoted me, Jim!  ;D
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

RayDiant

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2019, 05:31:02 pm »

All this means to me is that Plex doesn't have a fat client for Windows. For me the impact is zero. I use JRiver for that. Plex has the multiple non-PC (Mac or Windows) device arena nailed. I have an nvidia shield connected to my TV. Very simple. It is near impossible to use JRiver effectively in this set up. So I use the built in Plex renderer. This means I need to have Plex media server running on my Windows PC. I would much rather have a slick client on my Shield that goes straight to my JRiver MC server but this isn't an option.

I have said it a few times in posts; JRiver should stop focusing on features for MC and start focusing on networking with multiple devices. The answer I received from JRiver on this was "Have you considered an Id?" Yes but that is not what I want. I have a Panasonic TV, connected to a Yamaha Receiver with the Shield connected to that. The TV remote can control 90% of the functionality I need (and more importantly, my wife needs) on all three devices. Even if a Windows or Mac media server is required, get JRiver working on Apple TV, Amazon Fire, Roku, Chromecast, Android TV....

For music I use JRiver exclusively.

slikvik

• World Citizen
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2019, 03:52:19 am »

I haven't been active for some time but as this conversation is part of the reason why, I thought I'd chime in as my experience may be similar to others as well as an indication of the changing market.

My use of MC as a HTPC ceased many years back as other solutions came along. I now use Emby (similar to Plex) as it has a client for my LG OLED (it uses direct file access so does refresh switching) and Roku/FireTV devices in the bedrooms. This has meant installing the Emby server on my PC. In all honestly, even though I was one of the most vocal people in asking for a Theatre View back in the day I've just never been convinced by the UI and controls so I eventually gave up on it. Once something like Emby came along with a navigation system that the whole family could get behind AND I could have that same consistent UI on every device in the house, it was a no-brainer to move over.

This means that I now use MC just to manage my music library and to listen to music on my actual PC. As the family also wanted access to music in each room I am also now using Google Music with Chromecasts/Home around the house and via my Pioneer Chromecast enabled Receiver.

...essentially I'm using MC to manage my old music library and very little else.

The world has definitely moved towards thin clients and pucks. I mentioned some time ago that JR was well placed to do well in this arena but it never happened. Being a high quality media solution is not mutually exclusive to also providing this extra functionality even if, for example, the pucks don't get MadVR support.

Now here's the downside to Emby and Plex....they both feel they can charge a monthly sub for their products. As a commercial software developer myself I think this is bad. I've explained to Emby that they are not providing hosted CONTENT like Netflix or a SAAS based product which is where a subscription fits. They are offering a locally installed piece of static software and it should be charged the same way that you guys do - per version. Once the product matures and new features slow (as it has) I'm essentially paying every month for a piece of software sitting on my server that they have no interaction with anymore.

With this in mind I would happily jump back to JR. I really do think that you should look at offering at least the following on a roadmap:

Clients for ATV, FireTV, ChromeCast Video (from Android), Samsung and LG TVs (Mine!)
Google Home and Echo local MC server music support (similar to BubbleUpnp)
A Theatre view that isn't afraid to use a Back button and uses a more conventional navigation system - consistent across (remote controlled) devices.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2019, 04:13:51 am »

I don’t think you can pay per version on AppStore or GoogleStore.

Only sustainable model on those is subscription ... and while ppl say they gladly pay ... how many ppl will actually willing to ... and what amount

I got LG too ... C6 and E6 ... atm I use iPad (iPhone) with JRemote to select what I want to watch ... then send it to LG (it’s a DLNA renderer) ... not ideal - as rest of family does not get involved in movie selection process without passing iPad around

In future probably will put together bare minimum HTPC for non critical (aka not home theatre) viewing ... just enough to do 4K and hdr passthrough

With all due respect .. Panel to me does not look “aesthetic” enough

PS. Just tried Panel on my LG E6 ... slow response ... it start playing video in small corner the bottom/left corner ... when click on it ... video moved to center become a bit larger ... could not select fullscreen icon from there
Playback of video is limited to 1080p too ... and no metadata for movies ... unless I am ignorant fool and miss some settings (which is possible at my age lol)

Quality of playback did not bother me much as could set playing device to the TV I was using Panel on (then playback happen via DLNA rather than Panel) ... but look and feel of Panel is just not for me (seems geared more toward music listening than video watching)

seems Panel is more suitable for handhelds than large screen TVs

PSS. tried something different ... since got AppleTV lying around ... connected AppleTV to LG OLED ... use iPad with JRemote ... set Zone on JRemote to LG OLED ... set iPad to mirror it screen to AppleTV ... so I browse movie on iPad, while family could see what I was browsing ... hit play and it rendered directly to LG OLED in full quality and HDR ... movie stops and it is back to screen mirror of iPad

Manfred

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2019, 11:09:50 am »

All this means to me is that Plex doesn't have a fat client for Windows. For me the impact is zero. I use JRiver for that. Plex has the multiple non-PC (Mac or Windows) device arena nailed. I have an nvidia shield connected to my TV. Very simple. It is near impossible to use JRiver effectively in this set up. So I use the built in Plex renderer. This means I need to have Plex media server running on my Windows PC. I would much rather have a slick client on my Shield that goes straight to my JRiver MC server but this isn't an option.

I agree 100%. For playing audio my MC Server has direct connection over ethernet to my D220 Pro, controlled by JRemote.

For video I need the intermediate video renderer with RO HQ connected to my TV. MC on Smart TV, on Shield or on ATV would be very nice. That is something the Plex People have done, its their key value not the Plex server. 

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2019, 05:54:48 pm »

I haven't been active for some time but as this conversation is part of the reason why, I thought I'd chime in as my experience may be similar to others as well as an indication of the changing market.

My use of MC as a HTPC ceased many years back as other solutions came along. I now use Emby (similar to Plex) as it has a client for my LG OLED (it uses direct file access so does refresh switching) and Roku/FireTV devices in the bedrooms. This has meant installing the Emby server on my PC. In all honestly, even though I was one of the most vocal people in asking for a Theatre View back in the day I've just never been convinced by the UI and controls so I eventually gave up on it. Once something like Emby came along with a navigation system that the whole family could get behind AND I could have that same consistent UI on every device in the house, it was a no-brainer to move over.

This means that I now use MC just to manage my music library and to listen to music on my actual PC. As the family also wanted access to music in each room I am also now using Google Music with Chromecasts/Home around the house and via my Pioneer Chromecast enabled Receiver.

...essentially I'm using MC to manage my old music library and very little else.

The world has definitely moved towards thin clients and pucks. I mentioned some time ago that JR was well placed to do well in this arena but it never happened. Being a high quality media solution is not mutually exclusive to also providing this extra functionality even if, for example, the pucks don't get MadVR support.

Now here's the downside to Emby and Plex....they both feel they can charge a monthly sub for their products. As a commercial software developer myself I think this is bad. I've explained to Emby that they are not providing hosted CONTENT like Netflix or a SAAS based product which is where a subscription fits. They are offering a locally installed piece of static software and it should be charged the same way that you guys do - per version. Once the product matures and new features slow (as it has) I'm essentially paying every month for a piece of software sitting on my server that they have no interaction with anymore.

With this in mind I would happily jump back to JR. I really do think that you should look at offering at least the following on a roadmap:

Clients for ATV, FireTV, ChromeCast Video (from Android), Samsung and LG TVs (Mine!)
Google Home and Echo local MC server music support (similar to BubbleUpnp)
A Theatre view that isn't afraid to use a Back button and uses a more conventional navigation system - consistent across (remote controlled) devices.

I more or less share the sentiments of this post. I use Plex to play most of my media across devices, both in my home and mobile. It's just the simplest, most reliable way for myself (and more importantly... the less Media Center Inclined members of my household) to watch what they want, when they want, and where they want. I use MC to organize all of the media and play files on the PC. I haven't used a piece of software to date that can compete with MC version 12, 13, 14... much less 25... on that front.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2019, 10:42:44 am »

It looks like Plex has decided to back track part way and continue to support their PMP player.  Here's their CTO, Elan:

https://forums.plex.tv/t/killing-pmp/446526/826

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2019, 10:51:50 pm »

It looks like Plex has decided to back track part way and continue to support their PMP player.  Here's their CTO, Elan:

https://forums.plex.tv/t/killing-pmp/446526/826

That’s a surprise ... I didn’t expect that one ... but a good surprise as a healthy competition keeps you guys on your toes :)

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2019, 06:10:17 pm »

i canceled my subscription to plex.   this was just the last straw and besides their audio engine is weak.

emby is a much better and more configurable solution, and that team is far more responsive to users.   where jriver lags (currently) emby fits in well.   and that is basically on dedicated devices such as Shield, ATV, and Roku.    mo4media is closing the Shield gap quite well though still a bit of poiish to the UI needed.  but it works quite well.   for me that leaves ATV and maybe Carplay as the final frontiers.

for portable devices jriver has closed that gap well enough now, between jremote, panel, and mo4media it’s well covered.

TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

icstm

• World Citizen
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2019, 04:10:29 am »

That’s a surprise ... I didn’t expect that one ... but a good surprise as a healthy competition keeps you guys on your toes :)

It is indeed great news. glad it was picked up here.

for portable devices jriver has closed that gap well enough now, between jremote, panel, and mo4media it’s well covered.

I am surprised you feel that jremote is working well. I find the android app has not had its basic search fixed since launch and the iOS version has not had a major update in years.

JRiver 10-foot view still looks outdated compared with others.

Having started with Media Browser for Media Center, I switched to JRiver, and have since found its music management excellent (though I still use 3rd party tag editors before importing new CDs).
I used the theatre view, but never found it sexy enough.

Then when I needed a more wife friendly solution I used Plex on a Roku (so that we could easily access all non TV content, including online services).

The Plex solution on the PC have pretty good playback performance and on my slightly old equipment, their player (mpv) looks similar to JRiver(madvr).

Why use a HTPC as well as a dongle?
Simple - the PQ is much better with framerate matching etc. So for the best movies, we use the PC, otherwise we just use the Roku.
Both work of the logitech remote, but the Roku is still more non-tech friendly.

I am happy using (a slightly old) JRiver as my main music engine, if I can find a HTPC solution that also streams to a Roku or comparable device.
Ideally either supporting DTS or multi-channel PCM.
Can Emby do this well now?

Alternatively, better (for me) would be an overhaul of the theatre view in JRiver and apps for things like Roku.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Plex Throws in the Towel for the HTPC [then Changes Their Mind]
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2019, 07:10:19 am »

icstm,
If you're using an old version, you might try upgrading and using Panel as a remote.

We're working on JRemote for Android.  It won't be a free update.

JRemote has had several recent updates.
Pages: [1]   Go Up