INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: View question  (Read 322 times)

mattlovell

• Galactic Citizen
View question
« on: August 18, 2019, 11:54:20 am »

Is it possible to introduce grouping into the standard "Albums" view?

For instance, is it possible to sort and group by Genre while still displaying each album cover?  I guess what I'm looking for is a blend of the standard "Albums" and "Genres" views under Audio.

Thanks for any pointers.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: View question
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 04:11:42 pm »

So you want all of your albums in one view like the regular Audio > Albums view.  But what you want is for it to be displayed so that all of one Genre shows first, alphabetically by Album (or something), and then the next Genre, etc, etc.?

I just made a sample view that does that.  Seems to work ok, but you probably want some indication of Genre somewhere.  Maybe in the thumbnail text below each album?

I found that I have a BUNCH of albums with no Genre field.  :)

To do this, just use a categories view, and in the Category use the Expression button.  Then type in what you want.  I used:

Code: [Select]
[Genre] [Album]
That groups first by Genre, then by Album name.  You could do Genre then [Album Artist (auto)] and then [Album] if you want.  The views are very flexible.

Brian.

mattlovell

• Galactic Citizen
Re: View question
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 04:28:41 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion blgentry.  I had not thought of the flexibility of using an expression.

That's very close to what I want!  The sorting is as-desired -- Genre then Album alphabetically -- but there's no visual separation into distinct groups.  The result is still just the typical grid.  Ideally, I would want the genre as a label (standalone text), with all the albums in a given genre, then a new label, and so on.

The flexibility is definitely present to get the sorting right, I'm just not sure how to get the visual results I'd like.
Pages: [1]   Go Up