INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Current System  (Read 2536 times)

Bioman

• Recent member
My Current System
« on: August 19, 2019, 10:33:01 am »

I am strictly a two-channel old school user, dedicated listening room and so on.  So basically, I use around 20% of the features in JRiver Media Center but well worth the price for my needs.  I feel like I am presently at a point of satisfaction with functionality and sound quality.  Recently I installed JRemote on a Samsung Tab A which addressed the functionality shortcomings.  As regards sound quality I am very happy with the components and would have to spend many, many times over to improve; and that is a no go.  What for me has made the single biggest improvement in sound quality is the use of REW (Room EQ. Wizard) to generate Convolution filters.  So, whereas REW is software and not a hardware component it has made more of an improvement than any upgrade of such items I have done in a very long time. Prior to the REW application I found myself listening less and less as the music always seemed too bass heavy, lacking overall detail and convincing spatial qualities and just fatiguing from the top to bottom of the audio spectrum.  After using REW to generate a convolution filter that I liked, and installing in JRiver I found myself listening for hours on end; listening is once again a joy.  Previous issues have largely eliminated by addressing just the region between 200 Hz and the bottom end.  This approach to dealing with room interaction is so much easier that absorption panels etc., etc.  It is just weird how in addition to the bass it clears up midrange and highs as well.  So, here is where I have landed from a system perspective and here is where I will stay short of a forced purchase due to a future component failure.  Warning, the JRemote makes record/track hopping so effortless it could lead to addictive usage patterns 😉.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: My Current System
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 06:37:53 pm »

Congrats.

I'm one for 2 channel school too.

Finally got a chance to listen to the Nelson Pass designed Aleph J that I finished building a week or so ago with the house free of distractions and via my 3 way floor standers.

I'm planning on a rejig of my No. 2 system - bookshelfs fed by Nelson Pass ACA monoblocks (again DIY) with a sub driven by a Schiit Vidar. The plan is to use a miniDSP crossover as part of the deal. That will set me on the path to work with REW. Encouraging to read your positive experience. Thanks for that.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Bioman

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 11:37:46 am »

Pass designs are very good; Kudos on that choice.  I understand that Schiit makes some very nice equipment  and does so affordably.  Looks like your putting together a very nice system.   Years ago when I was younger and a whole lot crazier I built myself a dedicated listening room. Applied studio acoustic absorption and diffraction solutions integrated into the structural build.  An acquaintance who was an audio equipment designer of note was blown away by the neutrality of the room.  NOT AT ALL PRACTICAL for so many different reasons when your living with a spouse ;D.  If your heading towards DSP via REW your going a great direction; if you've never heard it, it will blow you away.  It will give you about 60% of what my total NUT JOB approach did without ticking everyone you live with offelse off ;D  Happy listening.

remixedcat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 03:06:33 am »

I'm the wife that's into the techie stuff and audio and networking and my hubby is more the gamer/hardware type. He's not as much of a basshead as me tho.

My setup is kinda simple kinda not lol. A Fiio E7DAC and Dt770Pro80 headphones, and 2 Aiwa Exos 9s linked with the master connected to line out of the dac
Pages: [1]   Go Up