INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac video playback refresh rates  (Read 666 times)

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Mac video playback refresh rates
« on: August 20, 2019, 08:42:04 am »

I'm giving JRiver for mac another try with Video.  I now have an MBP connected to an external 1080p TV which accepts at least 1080p at 24, 30, and 60 Hz.  The Mac reports this and at least one other video player is able to use these rates.  (Though why would you ever use 30 when you have 60?)   :)

So far, I can't find any way to set MC for Mac to change refresh rates based upon the frame rate of the video source.  It seems to always be sending 1080p/60 no matter if the source is 23.976, 30, 29.97, etc.

Does MC for Mac support this?

In Tools > Options > Video > Display , most of the options are greyed out and stuck on "Desktop Settings".  I'm guessing you would have to change the display on the Mac to be (for example) 1080p/24 and then let MC use that rate?

Thanks,

Brian.

blgentry

Re: Mac video playback refresh rates
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 07:17:40 pm »

Hendrik, any comment?

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 02:06:23 pm »

I just re-read the last thread I started on this nearly 2 years ago. 

In that thread I got upset and was probably not entirely accurate, or clear, or fair.  Sorry about all of that.

However, I do think that I got the answer to this particular question:  MC for Mac is not able to switch frame rates that are sent to the display.  It seems to use whatever is selected as the desktop refresh rate.  It would be helpful to be able to display 24 fps content as 24 on a display that supports it.

On the other hand, maybe I'm the only customer that wants this.  Everyone that's really concerned about video quality with MC seems to use Windows.  I'm having a hard time convincing myself to deal with the systems administration overhead that Windows requires.  Thus I'm currently using a different product. 

Or maybe the Mac is just the wrong platform for high quality video.  Might be time to try Linux with one of the other few popular video players with a 10 foot interface.

Any comments are welcome here.

Brian.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 04:09:52 pm »

This is not currently implemented for anything but Windows. As you might imagine this is a very OS-specific piece that needs to somehow talk to the OS to change the resolution and/or refresh rate.
Personally I don't have the insight into Mac OSX to do this quickly. Not sure if one of our more Mac-experienced people has some room on their list to look into adding this.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 09:14:05 am »

Ok, thanks for responding.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up