INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: All of my CDs are ripped only to Administrator. I can't open a new empty User.  (Read 646 times)

twotinears

• Recent member

When I began ripping my 8,000+ rock/pop/blues/etc songs I failed to setup a User and all the files are in Administrator.
I now want to start ripping the Classical music under a new User so Roll Over Beethoven doesn't play next to the Moonlight Sonata on shuffle.
I created a "User" Classical and it plays all the songs in Administrator.
This doesn't sound right and I don't know how to fix it - though I have searched for two hours.

After this is fixed, I would like to copy all of the Administrator files (rock/pop/blues/etc) to a new User file.
If I can't then Chuck and Ludvig might just play together on shuffle.

I understand that the Administrator file has everything in it and the simplest way to keep things sorted is by "Users".

BH

wer

• Citizen of the Universe

The simplest way to keep things sorted is absolutely NOT by 'Users'.

You don't know how the Users feature works or what it's for, and that's why it's confusing you.  If you insist on using multiple user accounts, you should read this article:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Users

The link explains that you have to set the [User] field for every file in your library to properly implement this feature.

But I urge you not to go that route.  It's folly.

The way you started, ripping everything under one user, is totally normal, and is the standard use case.  Unless you have multiple humans using your PC and you really WANT to restrict those humans from access to certain tracks, the Users feature is not for you.

Chuck Berry and Beethoven will not be shuffled together unless you add all those files to the same playlist, or to playing now.  Just don't do that.  Don't add your entire library to Playing Now, and you won't have the issue you're imagining.

There are so many features with JRiver and so many ways to configure it, that it's easy to get started on the wrong foot.

If you're confused of how to keep files of different genres from shuffling together, then post some screenshots of your views, along with a detailed description of what steps you're actually taking to play your tracks in a shuffled manner, and we'll try to get you going in the right direction.

twotinears

• Recent member

wer, thank you for your response.
I was only trying to use the "user" method because of something I read on Interact or some other posting on MC.

Your offer of assistance is more than generous and I will soon respond as you suggested.

Best regards,
twotinears
BH
Pages: [1]   Go Up