INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Viewing 'assets' in MC  (Read 1564 times)

daidnik

• Recent member
Viewing 'assets' in MC
« on: August 24, 2019, 01:42:06 pm »

I have found some posts on the topic of importing ancillary data in the folders with music files; liner notes and such. 

I have changed import options to include these files in the import and I see these in a listing of all such files.

Is there a way to have these displayed or accessible in the context of the album/folder it is associated with in the UI?

Some means of getting to the assets associated with whatever is playing more directly than going to a list of all then finding the one you want.

Is this possible?

daidnik

• Recent member
Re: Viewing 'assets' in MC
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 11:25:45 am »

Since there is no reply on this, I attach link below where this is cited relating to JRemote.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=92389.0

Thread is 5yrs old.  Is there really no user interest in this?

DJLegba

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 11:28:51 am »

Are you talking about something other than right-click "View Extras"?

daidnik

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 01:45:35 pm »

I will have to try this tonight.

Is rt+click to be done on track playing; album cover or what?

Can this be done on remote client viewing & playing data on server with MC on both machines?

DJLegba

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 02:14:16 pm »

I will have to try this tonight.

Is rt+click to be done on track playing; album cover or what?

Can this be done on remote client viewing & playing data on server with MC on both machines?

In the Now Playing view it is done on a track. In a library view you do it on the album cover. It would be nice if right-clicking the album cover in the Now Playing view had View Assets on the menu, but I asked for that to be added and the request didn't generate any interest from the folks at JRiver.

It doesn't work from a remote MC client, but the Android app MO 4Media will show related material. The iOS version of JRemote has a "View Assets" feature. The Android version of JRemote does not have this feature right now but it's possible they're working on adding it.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 06:18:14 pm »

I note that you have imported these "Asset" files into MC. You don't need to do that, and shouldn't, if you are going to use the "View Extras" functionality.

Here is a bit of a summary history of the View Extras functionality, as of June 2018:

View Extras functionality

22.0.21 (8/24/2016)
4. NEW: When files have sidecar images, PDF files, or documents, they'll be shown in a "View Extras" submenu to open each individual file.
22.0.22 (8/29/2016)
2. Changed: Add text files to the list of "View Extras" files.
22.0.23 (8/31/2016)
1. NEW: Added HTM and HTML to the list of sidecars shown by the new View Extras menu.
3. Fixed: The View Extras menu in images would show all the images in the same folder.
5. Changed: Sidecar searching for the "View Extras" menu also looks in subfolders called "Extras", "Scans", "PDF", "PDFs", "Booklet", "Art", "Artwork", "Cover", "Covers", "Cover Scan", or "Cover Scans".
22.0.24 (9/2/2016)
2. Changed: When viewing a sidecar image with the View Extras menu, it will add all the images it found to the current playlist so you can switch between them like normal image playback.
3. Changed: Added the extension to the list of View Extras menu choices.
22.0.27 (9/19/2016)
1. NEW: Added the option "View Cover Art" to the View Extras menu.
22.0.30 (9/22/2016)
1. Changed: Added the subfolder "Album Artworks" to the View Extras search.
22.0.96 (4/3/2017)
1. Changed: Added RTF to the list of extensions the View Extras menu searches for.
22.0.98 (4/10/2017)
3. Fixed: RTF files in the View Extras menu weren't opening.
23.0.2 (6/9/2017)
1. NEW: The View extras menu looks for a zip file named "Artwork.zip" and shows the artwork in the zip file if it exists.

File Types Supported:
PDF, Documents (for example: doc, docx, docm, odt), Text, HTM, HTML, RTF, "Artwork.zip", jpg, png
File types jpg and png are viewed within MC. All other files types are opened with the default Windows application, as defined by File Type Associations.
Note: Artwork.zip is only opened with the contents presented for viewing if the zip file is in the same directory as the audio files, and won't be opened if it is in one of the Extras sub-directories.
Not supported: mht, wps, xml, xps, bmp, tif, gif,

Folders Searched:
 "Extras", "Scans", "PDF", "PDFs", "Booklet", "Art", "Artwork", "Cover", "Covers", "Cover Scan",  "Cover Scans", "Album Artworks"
Note: These folders are not moved by the RM&CF function, regardless of the "Move all non-imported files in folder with selected media files". flag.

Special Function:
"View Cover Art", which views the Cover Art image MC knows about, in the same way that "right-click > Cover Art > View (first file)" does.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

DJLegba

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 06:26:21 pm »

I note that you have imported these "Asset" files into MC. You don't need to do that, and shouldn't, if yo are going to use the "View Extras" functionality.

I didn't test your claim with the current version of MC, but when I started using the feature the iOS version of JRemote only showed the Assets control if the files were imported as data into MC. What's the reason for saying you should not?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 06:50:31 pm »

I'm no longer an iOS user and don't use JRemote, so I can't comment on those. I don't know how that functionality in JRemote works. I guess it may rely on the files being imported. If so, it should probably be aligned to work with the View Extras functionality, if that is possible. Or the View Extras functionality should be aligned with the JRemote functionality. It doesn't seem logical to have two ways of handling the requirement.

The reason for saying that you don't need to and shouldn't import those Extras files is that in a MC Client, those files will now show up twice. Once as imported files and once in Extras. That is probably not desirable. I guess if they were imported you could exclude them from Views as appropriate. But you would need to manage any imported Extras files as you do music tracks. That is extra work. I don't have enough Extras files to know if that is a big issue.

The original View Extras functionality discussions assumed that the files would not be imported, but would simply be in the same directory as the audio files, or specific sub-directories of the audio file directory.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

daidnik

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 11:28:59 pm »

When I do RMB on album cover in library view on Mac mini server, I do see "View Extras" options and it does appear to allow access to all files within same folder as mucic files; DOC; PDF, etc.

I have not yet been able to see access to this functionality on the on the Win client side using MC.

I can do VNC session and access the server directly, but that is not a very realistic or viable option when the server is busy reading music files and streaming to DAC.

I am going to give my wife an iPad in a couple of days and will install JRemote on that and see how that works.

It really would be nice to be able to access these "Extras" from Win client as well.

Ease of access to all of these ancillary files is part of my 'vision' for implementing the all digital audio solution.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2019, 01:00:05 am »

I have not yet been able to see access to this functionality on the on the Win client side using MC.

I don't think it works on a Client as it requires access to the folder that the media file is in. When a Client is being served files by a MC Server, it doesn't have access to the folder directly. However...

It really would be nice to be able to access these "Extras" from Win client as well.

I think if you set up the Client using the same drive mapping as used on the server, and turn on the setting "Play local file if one that matches Library Server file is found", then it may work from a Client, as the Client sees the folder as a "local Folder", even if it is on a NAS, the Server PC, or somewhere else. I haven't checked that.

Oh, wait. You are using a Mac Mini as a MC Server. In that case the the "Play local file if one that matches Library Server file is found" won't work on a Windows Client, as the path to the Extra files doesn't use the same format in Windows and OSX. JRiver were recently looking at making that work, but I haven't heard any more about it.

daidnik

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2019, 04:55:57 pm »

Thanks Roderick.

Not the news I had hoped for, but this is all a 'work in progress'.

It is interesting that 'album art' does come thru to Win client running MC.  This should also be coming from non-music file w/in the folder containing the relevant music.

How is it that this works?
Pages: [1]   Go Up