INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library backup/restore between Windows and Linux versions of Media Center  (Read 576 times)

Butters

• Recent member

Greetings,

I currently have two registered Windows versions of Media Center, and after backing up the library on PC #1 (via "File" -> "Library" -> "Back Up Library...",), I then restore the library and playlists on PC #2, via the .zip file created by the backup.  I exclude restoring the settings (due to different hardware between the two PCs).  I restore only the library and playlists.

This allows me to copy changes that I make to playlists and column headings, etc, between the two PCs.

I plan on divorcing myself from all things Microsoft.
During the transition to Linux, one of the PCs will be running Linux, and the other will still be running Windows.

Question:
Will the .zip file, that either one of the PCs creates, be compatible, such that it can be used to restore the library and playlists on the other PC running the other OS?
(and I am assuming that the Linux version of Media Center uses .zip files for its backups?)

Thank you.

wer

• Citizen of the Universe

Yes and no.  ;D

Yes, in that all the data will be loaded exactly as it was.

No, because that won't leave you with a working system.

This is because the library contains references to all your media files.  A file specification (filespec) is not cross platform compatible: mount points of drives are different, and the directory seperator is different (  / vs \  )

Compare a windows vs linux filespec:

M:\FLAC\Artist\Album\song1.flac
/nas/data/FLAC/Artist/Album/song1.flac

Obviously, first of all, all the media files must be accessible on the target system.  The library backup doesn't contain them, just pointers to where they are.

You will need to use the rename move and copy files function in MC (google it) to update your database to point to the correct location.

So do this:
1. Turn off auto import on the destination machine
2. Restore your library
3. Observe the files are all listed, but with invalid paths so they are all broken links
4. Fix them with RMCF (google jriver rename move copy files) using the update database option
5. Confirm correct paths, no broken links, tracks play in MC
6 Turn auto import back on if you wish.

Good luck!

Butters

• Recent member

@wer

Thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up