INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto not scanning Library  (Read 2135 times)

scol78

• Junior Woodchuck
Auto not scanning Library
« on: August 26, 2019, 05:50:28 am »

Ive recently installed a new library on an external HD.Previously when adding new FLAC files to the library JRiver would scan and automatically add to 'recent files'.
For some reason i now have to add them manually .
Any ideas ?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Auto not scanning Library
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 06:41:17 am »

Check your auto-import settings.

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 08:59:55 am »

Auto import usually works well.  Some NAS devices do not report proper "file system events" to MC and thus auto import does not work on them.  You said "external drive" so I'm not sure if you mean directly attached USB drive, or a NAS.

You should also try "run auto import now" to see if manually triggering it works:

Tools > Import > Run auto import now

As Jim said, you might have the wrong drive or folder selected in Auto import, so it would be good to double check those too.

Brian.

scol78

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 09:14:16 am »

Yes connected NAS.
With the previous QNAP it used to run automatically in the background, didn't have to do anything.
Now with a different NAS I'm having to do it manually, like you said ,click on auto import.Which does load up all new music into RECENTS

The dotted circle always always goes back to ..Import single folder...After I've imported.This cant be right.can it ?

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 09:53:38 am »

I think the "Import" dialog always defaults to "import single folder" as you have observed.  There's an easier way though since you will probably be doing this frequently:

Toolbar buttons!

Go up to the header of MC.  See the red/yellow/green buttons on the left?  Right click next to those and you should get a menu for "customize toolbars".  Click that and you'll get an interface that will let you add buttons to the top or bottom toolbar area.  One of those is "run auto import now".  Select that and it will now be a button that you can click on.

If you have trouble getting "customize.." to appear, then go here instead:

Tools > Options > Tree & View > Customize Toolbars ...

They are the same dialog.

Having this button makes it very easy to run auto import whenever you want.  I prefer to manually click this button, rather than have auto import run all the time.  I have auto import disabled from automatically running.  I click the button each time.  This gives me more control and allows me to audit my imports as they happen, each and every time.   It helps me keep my library consistent and predictable.

Brian.

scol78

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 10:03:35 am »

Thank you so much ,just put auto import on top.
Single click and done, fantastic

Thankyou

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 07:06:00 pm »

If you wanted Auto Import to run automatically with your new NAS, you may be able to find a setting on it to tell it to generate "File System Events" properly. But as Brian says, some NAS do not report "File System Events" properly.

The reason Auto Import does not run automatically when it should is that a NAS may be telling MC it will send "File System Events", and then it never does. In that case, MC never runs Auto Import, because it is waiting for events to be reported.

If a NAS says it won't send "File System Events" then MC just runs Auto Import on a regular timed basis, so it still works. So actually turning off "File System Events" reporting on the NAS may make Auto Import work correctly, with a slight delay.

But the Toolbar button works fine as well. I often use it even though I have Auto Import set up to run in the background, because I want to see the files I just added imported now, and what the result is, in the MC Action Window.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 02:04:43 pm »

Even if filesystem events aren't supported, if a location is marked for auto-import it will be checked on a minimum of every 2 hours.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2019, 08:22:34 pm »

Ah, Hendrik once said MC didn't try under the circumstances I described. i.e. File System Events should be working, but don't.

Thanks for the clarification.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

HaWi

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2019, 08:50:13 pm »

FWIW, I find auto-import a bit scary and also prefer to do it manually as there are likely circumstances sometimes where I would want to change the import options.
rPi5/8GB, Debian 12 Bookworm on SSD | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 2699
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 3764
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 9235
Docker Container (shiomax) DS1819+ | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 1430
JRemote 3.43
MO 4Media 1.5.7 | Marantz SR7007 (RSL 5.1) HDMI to MacBookPro

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2019, 06:48:31 am »

FWIW, I find auto-import a bit scary and also prefer to do it manually as there are likely circumstances sometimes where I would want to change the import options.
It's not complicated and the wiki has instructions.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2019, 10:53:10 am »

Ah, Hendrik once said MC didn't try under the circumstances I described. i.e. File System Events should be working, but don't.

Thanks for the clarification.
I'm pretty sure that was fixed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up