INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC25.0.75+: Lost tracks or complete albums since sync. MicroSD  (Read 814 times)

m@Xist

• Recent member

Welcome everybody!

Recently, I purchased the AK KANN DAP, which I would like to synchronize with my MC library. However, there occur the following problems:

First, the KANN is not recognized by MC25. PPL in the forum seemed to have the same problem, but some said that the newer versions of MC should have solved this issue of non recognized devices, especially such based on Android. As a workaround I insert the MicroSD card straight into the Mac and have it synced with MC that way. At least it works, but …

Second, since syncing MC with the MicroSD card, there occur strange phenomenons with MC as follows:
- It can happen that after syncing the MicroSD card, when switching to "Recent Imports", I see albums that were added in the past are in a sudden showing up as recent, thus that means that there have been some changes on those albums!
- I see in fact some changes for some albums, such as:
- missing tracks. For example an album has a total of 13 tracks, but track 6 is not shown. However, I can still find it under the pyhsical folder!
- Some albums have twice the same track!
- Some albums are not missing any tracks and I don't see what were the changes made by MC!
- Some albums are gone completely (still present at the physical location though). What is odd here is that the album is still appearing in my playlist called "TestKANN" that is dedicated to my AK KANN DAP. See attached screenshots.

My setup:
- iTunes on the MacBook Pro is the master; I import M4A into it and use it to tag music.
- MC on the same host is set up to sync to the iTunes Music folder and trigger resync on changes.
- I use another MC instance on another Mac that connects to the main lib for playback.

ADDENDUM: For testing purpose I manually deleted single tracks from an album (yet keeping the source). When running Auto-Import again and again (or via iTunes XML import), it would sync and re-add the missing tracks after a while, except for those that disappeared as described above.
Only after I manually rename the individual track in iTunes, it would resync it in MC!

Thanks for your support!

Dan

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC25.0.75+: Lost tracks or complete albums since sync. MicroSD
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 07:53:57 am »

It's not clear to me what's going on here.

The missing tracks:  Are they on the AK device or in the main JRiver library?

Are the tracks missing on all three systems? If not, which systems have the tracks and which do not?

Brian.

m@Xist

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 08:49:52 am »

It's not clear to me what's going on here.

The missing tracks:  Are they on the AK device or in the main JRiver library?

Are the tracks missing on all three systems? If not, which systems have the tracks and which do not?

Brian.

Hi Brian
The AK KANN can be excluded from this discussion, as the issues do only occur on the MC lib. The other Mac is just connecting to the main lib and thus shows the same issues (as it points to the main lib).

But to answer the question and to be more precise ...
Example 1: ALBUM A was originally found in the MC lib. I sent this album to the dedicated playlist named "TestKANN", which I use to synchronize the MicroSD card with. After synchronizing the MicroSD card and insert it into the AK KANN, ALBUM A was found on the AK KANN, the album was gone from the MC lib.
Example 2: After synchronizing the MicroSD card, ALBUM B suffers missing tracks in the MC lib, and ALBUM B was NOT part of the TestKANN playlist, because it was not supposed to be synchronized.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 10:18:13 am »

I recommend restoring a library backup that was made before you synced the SD card.  This should bring your albums and tracks back.

This is very unexpected though.  I've done quite a few syncs (at least a few dozen) and have never had any tracks or albums go missing.

With devices like the AK that are not easily detected by MC, I do a hybrid sync though:  I create a folder on local disk to sync to.  Just a simple folder on the internal hard drive of the Mac.  When the sync is done, I just copy it's contents to the portable device, or SD card.

I can't really offer any ideas of why your sync is seemingly making tracks disappear.  As I said that's very much not expected behavior.

Brian.

m@Xist

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 10:56:12 am »

I recommend restoring a library backup that was made before you synced the SD card.  This should bring your albums and tracks back.

This is very unexpected though.  I've done quite a few syncs (at least a few dozen) and have never had any tracks or albums go missing.

With devices like the AK that are not easily detected by MC, I do a hybrid sync though:  I create a folder on local disk to sync to.  Just a simple folder on the internal hard drive of the Mac.  When the sync is done, I just copy it's contents to the portable device, or SD card.

I can't really offer any ideas of why your sync is seemingly making tracks disappear.  As I said that's very much not expected behavior.

Brian.

Well, I understand that it is difficult to nail down the root cause. However, would it be possible to identify why MC is no longer synchronizing the missing tracks? If there was sort of a "brute" import it should recognize that there are tracks found at the root folder that are missing the MC lib and should add them. Or in other words, why does MC recognize and import a missing track only after I e.g. renamed it in iTunes? That tells me there is an old ID on that file that is not being updated. Only on physical file changes the ID becomes updated, or sorts of ...

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 01:13:56 pm »

I'm getting confused again, but I *think* you are still talking about MC's database, even though you mentioned the files that were synced.  Assuming we are still talking about MC's main library (database):

When you remove tracks from MC, it keeps track of what you deleted.  If you try to re-import these exact same tracks again, MC will not import them, since you already deleted them.  MC tracks these in it's "removed database".  It's possible that you have accidentally removed some of these tracks or albums.  This is just a guess.

If my guess is correct, then these tracks and albums will be in MC's removed database.  You can see a list of deleted (removed) tracks by setting up a smart list or a view.  In the smartlist definition, you can choose to show "from database:  removed".  Or type this into the import/export dialog of the smartlist:

Code: [Select]
~d=r
If there are files (tracks) in the removed database that you actually did NOT mean to delete from MC, you can delete them from the removed database.  Then MC will import them again the next time that auto import runs.

A lot of this is speculation and guessing because I really don't understand what happened on your system or why.  Hopefully some of this will be helpful.

Brian.

m@Xist

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 02:11:45 pm »

When you remove tracks from MC, it keeps track of what you deleted.  If you try to re-import these exact same tracks again, MC will not import them, since you already deleted them.  MC tracks these in it's "removed database".  It's possible that you have accidentally removed some of these tracks or albums.  This is just a guess.

If my guess is correct, then these tracks and albums will be in MC's removed database.  You can see a list of deleted (removed) tracks by setting up a smart list or a view.  In the smartlist definition, you can choose to show "from database:  removed".  Or type this into the import/export dialog of the smartlist:

Code: [Select]
~d=r
If there are files (tracks) in the removed database that you actually did NOT mean to delete from MC, you can delete them from the removed database.  Then MC will import them again the next time that auto import runs.

A lot of this is speculation and guessing because I really don't understand what happened on your system or why.  Hopefully some of this will be helpful.

Brian.

Let me point out:
1. I have NOT deleted any tracks myself from the MC library (if I should want to delete files, I do so directly in iTunes).
2. Bare in mind that we do not only deal with lost tracks or lost albums here, but with double tracks after a previous sync. with the SD card.
3. You mention that once files got deleted from the MC lib they won't be re-imported. I do not fully agree, as in the Auto-Import settings you can specify whether it should IGNORE FILES PREVIOUSLY REMOVED FROM LIBRARY.
4. I set up a SmartList with your params and it does find some deleted tracks, but way not all of the lost ones! So something is really fishy here!

I hope it is clear now?

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 04:59:29 pm »

I believe I understand what you are saying.

Unfortunately, the problem you are describing is brand new to me.  I've never seen it, or heard of anyone else experiencing it.  Maybe someone else has some ideas.  I don't know where to start with this one.

In case it's not obvious, I don't work for JRiver.  I'm just a customer like you.

Best of luck to you.

Brian.

m@Xist

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2019, 05:19:55 am »

I believe I understand what you are saying.

Unfortunately, the problem you are describing is brand new to me.  I've never seen it, or heard of anyone else experiencing it.  Maybe someone else has some ideas.  I don't know where to start with this one.

In case it's not obvious, I don't work for JRiver.  I'm just a customer like you.

Best of luck to you.

Brian.
Thanks Brian. No it was not so obvious, but I hope someone else could help in basically the TWO problems we are dealing with here, to recap again:
1. Why tracks appear double or are removed or removed albums after MicroSD card sync.
2. How to force importing missing tracks (which do not even appear in the "removed" smartlist).

I understand that issue no. 1 is hard to find the root cause for, as it does not generate an error imho. I could enable logging and give it another try. But I hope to have a quick solution for issue no. 2.

btw, I spent quite some time in making a lib from scratch. Importing Saved Library Views did not work; they would not appear in the views pane when creating a new view, so I had to recreate them from scratch, as well as the SmartLists! And then all custom tags that are lost now, or SACD tagging (fixcase function e.g.), etc. I'd like to see some improved importing and exporting capabilities, such as importing of user selectable items like only playlists rather than the whole music and playlists, etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up