INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will MJ Output to Slimp3 or A'tron?  (Read 1762 times)

edesilva

• nothing more to say...
Will MJ Output to Slimp3 or A'tron?
« on: July 17, 2003, 02:10:29 pm »

I'd like to use MJ, but I can't seem to figure out if there is a way to get MJ to output or stream to an ethernet appliance like a slimp3 or audiotron.  Here's my situation...

I have a remote PC in my study with a pile of mp3s that is networked via ethernet to some gear in my home theater room.  In the home theater room, I have a router with an 802.11b access point, a Moxa RS232 server, and an audiotron.  I use a Viewsonic Airpanel, which talks to the 802.11 access point, to run a virtual desktop from the remote PC.  The Moxa is connected to a Slink-E, which outputs infrared remote control codes to control the stereo.  In effect, the Slink-E appears on COM4: of the remote PC, so I can run Cinemar's MainLobby software and control all my stereo and TV gear with the AirPanel.

Now, Cinemar has integrated a MusicLobby with MainLobby, and MusicLobby is integrated with MJ.  So, I really, really want to use MJ to feed my stereo from my mp3 collection on the remote PC.  Is there a way to get MJ to either create an mp3 stream over the local ethernet that I could pretend is an internet radio station the audiotron could access?  I'm willing to switch over to a Slimp3, if that might work instead, although I like the fact that the audiotron has a digital output rather than RCA analog stereo outputs.  Anyone have anything like that running?

I thought of trying to find a USB port server that I could connect to the ethernet to act like a remote USB port, figuring I could then hang an MAudio Sonica on it and run the digital output to my preamp/processor.  But, I gather that USB audio requires isochronous comms that can't be supported over ethernet.  

Any other creative suggestions?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Will MJ Output to Slimp3 or A'tron?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2003, 04:10:21 am »

Not at this time.  We've talked with SlimMP3.  You could contact them and ask.

You can do this with a TiVo, HMO, and Media Center.  See the TiVo board here for details.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2003, 12:29:24 pm »

Does the TiVo HMO require the source material (from my server) to be MP3 or can it be any type of music file, specifically APE?

I haven't really seen the need to purchase the HMO, but if I can stream my APE files to TiVo, then into my receiver, I'll upgrade today.

If TiVo requires an MP3 stream, does anyone have any suggestions on a way I can play my APE files through my home theater, or any stereo in the house for that matter.  I have recently re-recorded my entire CD collection in the APE format because of the quality, and I don't want to convert it all to MP3 unless it's the only way to play it in the house from something other than my laptop interfacing my 200gb server hard disk.

I'm thinking there should be some 'device' that can play the APE file and just plug into my receiver as a seperate component.

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.
pretend this is something funny

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2003, 06:19:14 pm »

Does the TiVo HMO require the source material (from my server) to be MP3 or can it be any type of music file, specifically APE?

I haven't really seen the need to purchase the HMO, but if I can stream my APE files to TiVo, then into my receiver, I'll upgrade today.

If TiVo requires an MP3 stream, does anyone have any suggestions on a way I can play my APE files through my home theater, or any stereo in the house for that matter.  I have recently re-recorded my entire CD collection in the APE format because of the quality, and I don't want to convert it all to MP3 unless it's the only way to play it in the house from something other than my laptop interfacing my 200gb server hard disk.

I'm thinking there should be some 'device' that can play the APE file and just plug into my receiver as a seperate component.

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.

Media Center can convert APE to MP3 on the fly for this purpose, so an APE library will work with the TiVo HMO.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2003, 05:57:02 am »

Thanks for the info.

Is it pretty easy to figure out how to stream APE's as MP3's to TiVo HMO, or do I need detailed instructions?

I did some research on the Integra DTR 8.3 and it has something called net-tune.  It uses a program by the same name to stream MP3's, WAV's or PCM's to the receiver.  It has an ethernet connection on the back of the receiver to connect to your home network.  It will also be used for firmware updates to the receiver.

They will also be releasing a DTR 7.3 which has this feature also, but doesn't have 'professional grade' video switching capabilities or the CHAD remote.

First, does anyone have any input on Integra as a company, they sound great, but good marketing goes a long way down that road.  I'm looking for real world experience.

Second, can MC also be used with this receiver to stream APE files, preferrably without converting to MP3 first.  I would really like to benefit from the lossless quality of APE if I'm gonna run my music through such a nice receiver.

Here is a link to the products that offer this 'feature'

http://www.integrahometheater.com/prod_class.cfm?class=Nettune

Both recievers should be available in October?

BTW, the 8.3 lists for $2200 and the 7.3 lists for $1300.

Any other suggestions on Home Theater receivers with similar features?

Thanks
pretend this is something funny
Pages: [1]   Go Up