INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Accidental Volume Change - Bug, or By Design?  (Read 887 times)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Accidental Volume Change - Bug, or By Design?
« on: August 28, 2019, 09:14:45 am »

I have a mouse with a free spinning scroll wheel...
I had just given it a good old spin to shift the list a lot...

I then set the cursor out of the way under the search field, top right, and the volume shot up to 100%

Got a bit of a shock, and discovered that this happened because the scroll wheel was still spinning.
Further investigation reveals that the volume slider responds to the scroll wheel anywhere inside "mainframe_top_border", even when over the File, Edit etc. top toolbar items...

Is that meant to be like that?
Just wondered. It's no big deal to me, my speakers didn't break and I now know not to do that, but it got me thinking that some folks spend a ton of money on equipment and it would be sad if a thing like this broke said equipment, if that were indeed even possible?

-marko

blgentry

Re: Accidental Volume Change - Bug, or By Design?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 01:33:48 pm »

Yet another reason that software volume control is a bad idea.  At some point you're going to have an accident.  It's essentially guaranteed.  You really need a real hardware volume control (preamp, AVR, etc) in an audio system.

Brian.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 01:47:40 pm »

I really recommend volume protection in these cases.

My home amp would explode the speakers at 100%, but I just never have to worry about it because of this feature.

It's a power amp that only switches on and off, so hardware volume just isn't a possibility.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jachin99

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 09:37:09 pm »

There is an option under audio to use application, or system volume for volume control.  I set it to disable and use eventghost to control my avr. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up