INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Add HTOA File to Existing Group of Files (Album)  (Read 1697 times)

ASenna1

• Junior Woodchuck
Add HTOA File to Existing Group of Files (Album)
« on: August 31, 2019, 10:11:35 pm »

I would like to add/import an HTOA file to a group of tracks (album) that has previously been imported into JRiver.

Is there way to do this without deleting and re-importing the entire album?

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Add HTOA File to Existing Group of Files (Album)
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 05:17:16 am »

You can always add files to the library. For an added file to be considered as “belonging” to that album, the added file must have the same Album Name, Album Artist name and Disk numbertags, as the other tracks. And probably in you case you’ll want to give an HTOA file the Track number zero.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

ASenna1

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 09:45:18 pm »

I've created 4 second files at different bitrates/depths using Audacity, but it's a fair amount of work to manually add a clip to a preexisting album file.

I wish there was automatic way to accomplish what I want, but your suggestion made sense and does work.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 03:18:05 pm »

What's the point of doing this?  Are you trying to create gaps between albums when you play several albums in the same playlist or something?

Brian.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 01:35:39 am »

What's the point of doing this?  Are you trying to create gaps between albums when you play several albums in the same playlist or something?

Brian.

HTOA are “hidden track one audio” ... it’s basically gap before first track ... very few CD have it

Normally your CD player starts playing at track one ... to play HTOA you need to rewind that first track until pregap

Not all CD players can access HTOA ... it usually contains silence ... for live concert it may contain crowd noise before band start playing ... some CD have some weird stuff on it (spelling some words ... last recording of flight before it crashes ... stuff like that ... usually not so relevant to whole album)

But if you die hard fan who obsessed with keeping everything that CD has ... then you want that HTOA

PS. need to rip CD is specific way to get HTOA ... here is more info on how to rip it
https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=HTOA
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 10:29:26 am »

I understand the basics of what an HTOA is.  I asked the OP why he wanted to do this because he said he is manually making 4 second silent tracks for this purpose.  I wonder why someone would want to do that.  I suspect it's because he wants gapless play of albums, but a few seconds of silence between albums.

I think there is an easier way built in to MC.

Brian.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 01:22:20 pm »

I understand the basics of what an HTOA is.  I asked the OP why he wanted to do this because he said he is manually making 4 second silent tracks for this purpose.  I wonder why someone would want to do that.  I suspect it's because he wants gapless play of albums, but a few seconds of silence between albums.

I think there is an easier way built in to MC.

Brian.

that is strange indeed ... i guess he can copy paste something like 00.flac in every album

then auto import those tracks ... then create a view that only display those 00.flac ... then update their tags from file name (track number) ... and folder structure (artist, album)
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

ASenna1

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2019, 04:13:55 am »

Basically yes. I almost always play albums as albums and don't like it when, depending on the album, the 'next' album begins immediately or within one second. The thing is, I don't want to add a gap (silence) to the head of all albums, I want to add silence on a album-by-album basis. 

ECM recordings, for example, are known for their 5-sec gap before first note.

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2019, 07:35:29 pm »

Hmm.  That's extremely specific.  Your chosen solution seems to be one good way of doing it.  Good luck to you.

Brian.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2019, 08:45:50 pm »

Asked and answered previously: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,119077.0.html

Didn't like the answer. Asking again. Same answer from different people. Still doesn't like the answer.

There may be a lesson in there somewhere. Carry on!  ;D
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2019, 05:30:20 am »

Basically yes. I almost always play albums as albums and don't like it when, depending on the album, the 'next' album begins immediately or within one second. The thing is, I don't want to add a gap (silence) to the head of all albums, I want to add silence on a album-by-album basis. 

Well … crude way of doing it … is to have one track of silence … then when you add another album to play, just add that silent track before it

Another way is to create separate CUE sheet with 00 track pointing to common silence track … You can call that album [Album]_FULL … then later can create view of these albums that contain "_FULL" … then in that View, if you play albums - it will play them with silence prepended

And in normal Views just filter those CUE albums with "_FULL" out (can use some other tags to differentiate these from albums without gaps)

blgentry

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2019, 01:17:17 pm »

I don't understand why you would only want this on certain albums.  Wouldn't it be more consistent to have this behavior on all albums?  If so, I have a solution for you that just takes a few clicks.

If your requirement is for album by album control, then I think you'll have to do it manually.

Brian.

ASenna1

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2019, 05:09:38 pm »

As I noted about ECM recordings, adding 5 seconds of silence to those will result in a 10 second gap, so yes, I want album by album control.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2019, 07:34:13 pm »

Wouldn't it be more consistent to have this behavior on all albums?  If so, I have a solution for you that just takes a few clicks.

I'd be interested to know your global solution Brian.  8)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

blgentry

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2019, 12:48:11 pm »

The "global solution" to playing some silence between albums:

Tools > Options > Audio > Track Change >

Switch Tracks > Standard (Gapped) > choose your value here
Use gapless for sequential album tracks > (checked)

That will play an album, in order, with no gaps between tracks.  But when it switches to the first track of a new album, it will use the value from "Standard (gapped)" above.  So if it's set to 2 seconds, you'll get a 2 second gap of silence between albums.  It worked in my limited testing.

Brian.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2019, 01:09:36 pm »

The "global solution" to playing some silence between albums:

Tools > Options > Audio > Track Change >

Switch Tracks > Standard (Gapped) > choose your value here
Use gapless for sequential album tracks > (checked)

That will play an album, in order, with no gaps between tracks.  But when it switches to the first track of a new album, it will use the value from "Standard (gapped)" above.  So if it's set to 2 seconds, you'll get a 2 second gap of silence between albums.  It worked in my limited testing.

Brian.
Would this put gaps when playing playlist?

blgentry

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2019, 02:20:43 pm »

Would this put gaps when playing playlist?

If the playlist has songs from different albums that are one after another, then YES, this will create gaps between them.

It's easy enough to turn this on and off.  Or you could create a new zone just for album playback.  Zones can be really powerful for that kind of thing.

Brian.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2019, 07:30:41 pm »

Thanks Brian.

I use Cross-fade, so never thought about that solution. It seems to almost meet ASenna1's requirements. Pretty darn close in fact, except for (some?) ECM recordings.
Pages: [1]   Go Up