INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: It's official -- MEDIA CENTER has launched  (Read 4428 times)

PeterS

It's official -- MEDIA CENTER has launched
« on: May 05, 2003, 10:55:30 am »

We just issued the following press release. Please feel free to pass it on to anyone who might be interested in seeing it.

JRiver MEDIA CENTER Convergence Software Turns Any Windows PC Into a Multimedia Hub

Minneapolis, MN (May 5, 2003): JRiver MEDIA CENTER™ 9.0 software was released today, enabling users to organize and experience all their media, including music, photos, and video through a single Windows program. This complete digital lifestyle tool supports most popular hardware products, including the Apple® iPod™, and the TiVo™ Home Media Option.

Media Center competes directly with Windows XP Media Center Edition PC, but without the high cost of specialized hardware. With this release, MC pioneers a new software category, enabling full control over media organization and playback in one package with more sophisticated personalization than ever before.

MC directly supports the best hardware. For example, MC now allows a PC to "sync" its collection with an iPod and to play the iPod's music seamlessly. It also can stream JPG images and MP3, WMA, and other audio to a TiVo equipped with Home Media Option. MC can acquire images from a camera and upload them to a Web page.

"MC is a single tool for access to all media, no matter what its form or source," says Jim Hillegass, JRiver CEO. "We're integrating as many devices and media types as possible, but allowing them to be controlled simply.Anyone who has a coffee table with multiple remotes will understand why this is important."

JRiver has raised the bar for multimedia apps by establishing the first universal software solution for organization and playback of popular media. Together with its industry-leading file organization, MC provides CD and DVD playback as well as TV time shifting and recording features. An important premise underpinning this release is the idea that Media Center will act as the "nerve center" for convergence of entertainment hardware.

Until now users have been accessing media from a desktop PC, but MC allows a smooth transition to the living room space by providing extensive home networking, and a variety of remote control device support, with connections to TV and home audio components. Now users can enjoy their media collections from the comfort of the couch.

About MEDIA CENTER
All Media--One Interface. This comprehensive media management software turns a PC into the center of a complete digital entertainment experience. It connects PC to stereo, TV, remote control devices, digital cameras, scanners and portable MP3 players. It plays all media, rips, burns and organizes a digital media collection. MC encodes and plays all popular media formats. It plays Web radio/TV/DVD on your PC. Powerful utilities include Media Server for streaming music and images to remote PC's. MC has more advanced features than any other application for personalization and control of a media collection.

For a free download please visit www.mediajukebox.com/mediacenter

About JRiver
JRiver develops digital media organization and playback solutions and network connectivity software. For more information about JRiver's music products, visit www.mediajukebox.com, e-mail music@jriver.com, or call 612.677.8200.

# # #
JRiver MEDIA CENTER, JRiver MEDIA JUKEBOX and JRiver MUSIC EXCHANGE are trademarks of JRiver, Inc.  

iCamp

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: It's official -- MEDIA CENTER has launched
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2003, 11:25:54 am »

WooHoo!

Congratulations!  And, from a customer perspective, thank you for all your hard work.  It's a tremendous product.

Deivit

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2003, 11:30:53 am »

Just downloaded and installing it... finally!! Now upgrading the library  :)

Thanks for a work well done. Congratulations to all Media Center family.

10sne1

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2003, 12:53:32 pm »

Don't you think there should be more obvious link to Media Center on Media Jukebox home page?  Still looks like Media Jukebox 8 is NEW (latest and greatest) and I found link by choosing Download MJ---and on that page it tells me Media Center 9 is now in beta...links me to Media Center page.  I had to look for product I know is there but not too obvious from Media Jukebox home page.  Don't you want to make that easier option?

LisaRCT

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2003, 04:47:19 pm »

YIKES!!!!    
What will I do with myself now that there will be no new beta releases to test out and play with?   ?
How will I stand the boredom of the Interact site without all the bug reports and sort-order debates?   :-/

C-O-N-G-R-A-T-S on a job VERY WELL done!

. . . and thank you for giving us the chance to be a part of it.  You folks really listened and that is awesome!

:-*

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2003, 05:03:25 pm »

How will I stand the boredom of the Interact site without all the bug reports and sort-order debates?

Organize your Library
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Neanderthaler

• Recent member
  • Music
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2003, 12:13:07 am »

Congratulations!
Magnificant piece of work!!!

zevele10

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2003, 02:10:46 am »

MAZAL TOV !!!!!!

Great team ,great boss [...?..] , ;D , great software

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2003, 03:54:08 am »

Boss is a coward   :o

Follows team around and hopes for best   :P

phelt

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2003, 04:56:29 am »

I'd like to add my congratulations. A truly impressive effort, especially in light of the sheer number of features and changes. I'm sure that all the Media Center contributors are justly proud.

Diverdown1964

• World Citizen
  • No matter where you go, there you are
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2003, 05:31:25 am »

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

This really is one of the most impressive pieces of software I've seen in a long time. It's uncanny the way it seems to anticipate what I need to do.

For me, the coolest thing is to be able to selects multiple playlists from a single track. It may not seem like much, but it actually makes using playlist feasible for me.

FANTASTIC WORK!!!

IanH

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Never fly the "A" model of anything...
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2003, 09:12:43 am »

Looking back, it's amazing how far Media Center has come.  From the time it split from the jukebox version, It went from a fine product to a professional looking polished piece of software!

Great work guys!

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2003, 09:16:04 am »

I posted the press release at the Home Theater Discussion site.
http://www.hometheaterdiscussion.com/index.php?s=

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2003, 09:25:47 am »

Hope you don't mind but i posted the released on Hydrogenaudio forum
Made in Portugal

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2003, 09:31:20 am »

PLEASE HELP!!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

I tried the official release..  I can't play any CDs with this official release..

I can not play any CDs !! I tried playing a number of CDs in either of two drivers (one DVD-ROM and another DVD-RW) and when I attempt to play a CD, Media Center goes between

Buffering..
Waiting
Buffering..
Waiting
Buffering..
Waiting

Switching between these every second or so.  

I can play CDs just fine using Windows Media Player.

I tried ripping CDs but that also does not work.

Please HELP!!

thanks,
Osho

System Information:

edia Center Registered 9.0.169 -- D:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 3 (Build 2195)
Intel Pentium 4 2408 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 356 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.6144 / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: PIONEER  DVD-RW  DVR-104    Addr: 2:0:0  Speed:8  MaxSpeed:8  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2003, 10:46:46 am »

You've come a long way baby...

I still can't believe how many neat features there are in MC.  And I thought MJ v7 was fantastic ;)
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

JohnT

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2003, 10:56:50 am »

PLEASE HELP!!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

I tried the official release..  I can't play any CDs with this official release..
Please HELP!!

thanks,
Osho

Please create a log file and email it to me. Follow these steps:

Exit MC and edit this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JRiver\Media Jukebox\CD Reader\Logger

Change the value from zero (0) to one (1). Then restart MC and try to rip a track. Then exit MC and send me the log file which will be in the MC directory and will be called "cdripper.log".
This may help narrow down where the problem lies.

Thanks much!
John T.
johnt @ jriver.com (remove the spaces)

John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2003, 12:26:18 pm »

Please create a log file and email it to me. Follow these steps:

Exit MC and edit this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JRiver\Media Jukebox\CD Reader\Logger

Change the value from zero (0) to one (1). Then restart MC and try to rip a track. Then exit MC and send me the log file which will be in the MC directory and will be called "cdripper.log".
This may help narrow down where the problem lies.

Thanks much!
John T.
johnt @ jriver.com (remove the spaces)

Thanks John.

I looked under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JRiver\Media Jukebox\

There was no entry for CD Reader there. There were only three entried

CD Writer
Plugins
Properties

Assuming I might have a busted installation, I went to Windows 2000's control panel's Add-Remove Programs. I removed Media Center 9 and reinstalled the released
Media Center 9. Still there was no CD Reader entry. Should I create one manually?

thanks for your prompt response,
Osho

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2003, 09:01:21 pm »

Hi John,

I did a complete clean reinstall and could find the registry entry then. I have sent you the cdripper.log file to your email address.

Please let me know if you need any more information.

thanks,
Osho

wickamo

• Recent member
  • I know what I like, and I like what I know.
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2003, 09:36:09 pm »

I've paid twice for Media Jukebox/Center and will pay again for great software!  Congratulations and Thanks!
Even the beta's of 9.x were better than stuff I'd seen elsewhere, and especially from MSFT.  I say keep MSFT to the OS/Driver layer and let real companies build killer apps like Media Center.  
-Jeff@wickamo.com

musikmstr

• Recent member
  • I'll try anything once......more if I like it!
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2003, 04:06:23 am »

A big CONGRATS to all the effort and work that went into making Media Center possible. There is NO BETTER program out there than this one! I use it everyday and will continue to from now on in any form that you guys think up!! Thanks a million!! ;D

LisaRCT

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2003, 06:31:58 am »

Does this mean we will be able to get the updates thru the automatic update feature in MC9, or through clicking "HELP-> Check For Updates" ?
Or do we still need to get them here for the time being?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2003, 06:52:06 am »

Does this mean we will be able to get the updates thru the automatic update feature in MC9, or through clicking "HELP-> Check For Updates" ?
Or do we still need to get them here for the time being?

As before, we post the latest versions here.  When we believe they are stable and better than what was on the download page, we move them there.

So if you want stability, use "check for updates".  If you want to live dangerously, check here.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2003, 08:21:11 am »

Chicoselfs and Galley,
Thanks very much for spreading the word.

Jim

nextguard

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2003, 09:17:48 am »

Please forgive the beginner question.

I came here through the newly created Tivo forum and was unfamiliar with Media Center but I just downloaded and it seems impressive at first glance.  I have been keeping an eye for a new app since Winamp3 has been such a dissapointment after ruling the world with Winamp2...

So here's the question - how is Media center funded? - Is it spyware of any kind or an open source thing or given away to raise the company's profile?  It seems awfully nice to be just plain free.

Thank you
NextGuard = Paul from Atlanta

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2003, 09:22:31 am »

Thanks for the kind words.

MC is $39.98 and you can read more here:

www.mediajukebox.com/license

It will work for 30 days and then expire if it hasn't been purchased.

dbett

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2003, 09:29:31 am »

Please forgive the beginner question.

I came here through the newly created Tivo forum and was unfamiliar with Media Center but I just downloaded and it seems impressive at first glance.  I have been keeping an eye for a new app since Winamp3 has been such a dissapointment after ruling the world with Winamp2...

So here's the question - how is Media center funded? - Is it spyware of any kind or an open source thing or given away to raise the company's profile?  It seems awfully nice to be just plain free.

Thank you
NextGuard = Paul from Atlanta

Wow the ripples from the (temporary) demise of TC spread.  It's funny though since I recently started using MC and was planning on recommending it over on the Happy Hour.  Now part of the Happy Hour comes here.

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2003, 09:59:20 pm »

The press release has just been posted on the NeoWin.Net site.  This site has tens of thousands of visitors.
http://neowin.net/comments.php?category=software&id=10852
Pages: [1]   Go Up