INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media center 25 : Problems playing 1080P blue ray content  (Read 651 times)

triskadekaphobic

• Junior Woodchuck
Media center 25 : Problems playing 1080P blue ray content
« on: September 07, 2019, 01:12:24 am »

I'll start by saying that I experience this issue only with JMC. Other players like VLC and WMP are OK.
My setup:
- Thinkpad T430S laptop.
- StarTech USB 3.0 to DisplayPort 4K. This display adapter name suggests 4K but it only meant to be used on 1080P as far as video is concerned.
- Sony OLED AF8

The problem:
When playing 1080P blue ray content, my T430S CPU works at a constant 100% CPU load which of course leads to horrible graphics and macro-blocks appear on the screen of the Sony TV.
When trying to analyze the video I play with Gspot I get very little info (see attached screenshot).

1. My JMC has the default configuration. How do I set it up to handle this performance issue ?
2. When running Blue-Ray content I usually go to the stream directory and run the m2ts file.
Is there a more elegant way of doing that like choosing the main directory as was done with DVD content (which would present main menu) ?

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Media center 25 : Problems playing 1080P blue ray content
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 02:19:59 am »

I'm not sure I can help you, but I'll make a try.

Does JRiver play the movie on the laptop screen, when not connected to the TV?  That is an important test and step.  If that doesn't work well, forget about the TV.

Your video setup is far, far from optimal, to be polite.  The integrated video on the laptop is of low capability.  Using that Startech adapter is a bad idea.  And you have it all connected to a really top notch television that deserves better.  I would strongly advise you connect through alternate means.  I'd start by ditching the Startech adapter and get a Displayport to HDMI adapter.  Your TV has HDMI inputs, and your laptop has a mini-DP with audio output on the back.  Get an adapter that supports displayport audio and connect that way.  You will significantly reduce the load on the machine by not trying to push all that data across the USB interface.

In JRiver, you can try two settings.

1. Go to Options->Video->General Video Settings->Video Mode: Make sure this is set to Red October Standard.

Also make sure the box "Hardware accelerate video decoding when possible" is checked.

if that does not improve things,

2. Set that setting to "Advanced - Custom" and then change the Quality Setting that appears below it to "Best Performance".  But if #1 doesn't work, this will probably be worse.

Again, focus on getting it playing correctly on the internal screen first.  If that works well, using a DP-HDMI adapter will then play smoothly to the TV.

If you care enough about video to buy that television, you might consider dedicating a small-form-factor computer as an HTPC.  There are several available that will do a much better job than what you have now, for just a few hundred dollars.  One of the users on this forum, Jmone, has reviewed several and provided reports here on the site.  You'll get better quality, fewer problems, and can even use a remote control.  Of course you're free to do as you like, but I wouldn't spend my time trying to do what you're trying to do. 

VLC is a nice utility, and can often work when nothing else will.  JRiver can produce much higher quality video output than VLC can, but not on the equipment you're using; it's just too underpowered.  You showed you cared about video quality by getting that TV, so I would finish the job and attach an HTPC capable of delivering picture quality that'll make the TV look great.

It's not clear to me from your description if you're ripping your blurays, or if you are trying to play them directly from the bluray disc inserted into the drive.  If the former, read this article to learn how to import the file so it will be part of your library: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Import
If the latter, I will let someone else help you, as I never use that functionality.

Good luck...

triskadekaphobic

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 02:46:53 am »

"Also make sure the box "Hardware accelerate video decoding when possible" is checked."
This did the trick. Thanks!

darky

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 04:48:52 am »

"2. When running Blue-Ray content I usually go to the stream directory and run the m2ts file.
Is there a more elegant way of doing that like choosing the main directory as was done with DVD content (which would present main menu) ?
"

-unprotected(?) bluray content should play fine with menu's
settings> video>general video settings>play bluray menus
and set the region

"When trying to analyze the video I play with Gspot I get very little info (see attached screenshot)."
-mediainfo will give you more info about the mediafiles
https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

triskadekaphobic

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 09:24:15 am »

"Also make sure the box "Hardware accelerate video decoding when possible" is checked."
This did the trick. Thanks!
Today the problem came back. 1080P content would cause CPU to reach a constant 100%.
Box "Hardware accelerate video decoding when possible" is checked.
This does not happen with the free VLC player
Pages: [1]   Go Up